Are Archaeologists limited?

Cedbird77

Warlord
I have always been a very bad Culture player since Civ 5. When it comes to tourism.

So the last few games I have looked to master it. My last couple of games I have noticed that when I go to build an Archaeologist I can't. This is in the same city that I built them before. The buildings are in tact.

Did they run out? Are they limited worldwide?

And how do you theme a building? I fall into it by mistake sometimes. Or I figure it out by mistake.

I have read the Culture handbook on the Forum. It was great. But I am still insure. Thanks!

If you trade away an artifact (though why would you if you are going for cultural victory), you can build another archaeologist (with only 1 charge if you traded away 1 artifact). The only reason you might want to trade one away is if you've been digging up stuff in your own territory, and you mostly have your own civilization's artifacts.

Anyways, to build more archaeologists build more theater squares and archaeological museums. I'd aim for at least 6 to really get the hang of using artifacts to attain cultural victory. Its gives you more room to trade among your museums and get theming bonuses. Try to theme these theming bonuses, the bonus is pretty significant. You can click and drag the artifacts around if you don't already know this.

Last edited:
If you trade away an artifact (though why would you if you are going for cultural victory), you can build another archaeologist (with only 1 charge if you traded away 1 artifact). The only reason you might want to trade one away is if you've been digging up stuff in your own territory, and you mostly have your own civilization's artifacts.

Anyways, to build more archaeologists build more theater squares and archaeological museums. I'd aim for at least 6 to really get the hang of using artifacts to attain cultural victory. Its gives you more room to trade among your museums and get theming bonuses. Try to theme these theming bonuses, the bonus is pretty significant. You can click and drag the artifacts around if you don't already know this.

I had one game where I dug up 2 of the same, and tried to trade 1-1 with someone else to get my museum themed.

But what happened was that they took the artifact from my museum, and then put the new one in a different museum for me, so I had to build an extra archaeologist to get the theming bonus. Grr...

I had one game where I dug up 2 of the same, and tried to trade 1-1 with someone else to get my museum themed.

But what happened was that they took the artifact from my museum, and then put the new one in a different museum for me, so I had to build an extra archaeologist to get the theming bonus. Grr...

This happens ALL THE TIME. It makes no sense. It is very frustrating :mad:

After the museum is filled (and the particular artifact has been in place for 6(?) turns), you can move it to where you want.

Excellent info!

Top Bottom