Are there any civs in need of revamping?

I do like this, for example, getting better deals from someone you can demand tribute from, but I strongly doubt they have balls to really implement this.
What about a religious enhancement like "Believe Nonsense" to go with Movie Studio?
You are convinced that downloading a movie is the same as stealing a car, or as bad as stealing a dead policeman's hat and defecating in it.

Moderator Action: Please stay on topic. This is not a very civil picture you draw for this discussion. There are better examples one could use. leif.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
You are convinced that downloading a movie is the same as stealing a car, or as bad as stealing a dead policeman's hat and defecating in it.
.. or that the Earth is 5000 years old or that gay people can be re-educated to become straight? ;)

S.

Moderator Action: Can we please leave hot button, political issues out of the game threads. leif
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not illogical, it's just based on tectonic plates rather than landmasses separated by water

In any case that second version sounds more like what Spain had in Civ V if they were the first to find a natural wonder (I.E: free 500 gold => insta-buy settler), which was the most RNG ability in the game

I think that the continent system / continent dependant bonuses are not working as intended, that is, stablishing boundaries and bonuses for being far / near from your capital.

Perhaps some kind of reward for reaching / settling next to natural wonders could do the trick (it doesn't needs to be a free settler, tought). Extra amenities from luxury resources located in another continents? better natural wonder yields?

Dude, America is basically 52 nations in one. All of it was conquered and stolen/annexed. America is by far the most successful conquering/war-mongering nation in the entire history of this planet.

Most of America's land was purchased, not conquered, especially in the 17th and 18th centuries. America (by which I mean the preceding French, Dutch and English) did not need to conquer that much land from Natives early in its history in order to build a presence there, because 90% of the Native population died of disease before the settlers showed up. The civilization we think of as America in Civ descends from the settlers who moved in (often expanding ahead of their governments or militaries), not the colonial traders from Europe who preceded them, declared the national rights and spread the diseases.

Stuff like the forced marches, mass relocations, and purges didn't happen quite so much until after America had asserted its territorial dominance in an area, with formal diplomatic recognition from other countries already secure, especially east of the Mississippi.

It's not like atrocities didn't happen, but it depends on whether you see the massacre of Natives as America committing crimes against its own people, whom it should have been protecting and looking out for because it already controlled their territory from previous deals and conflicts, or against foreign peoples who controlled land that they wanted and were only now seizing.

How sovereign, really, have sovereign Native nations been in America? This is particularly interesting when compared to other overland empires like Russia or the Holy Roman Empire, all of which have different timings for when and how they expanded versus when and how they exerted authority over multinational inhabitants.

And then the question is how do you regard the legitimacy of deals that America made with other colonizers over territory they had claimed to own by rights - like the Louisiana Purchase and the Florida Purchase Treaty - or, how much, at the time that America took ownership of land by these means, it was still "owned" by the natives that Spain claimed were under their empire, and was only really incorporated into "America" later, in the conflicts between the government and the nominally sovereign Native groups.

And of course there's the Mexican War as the big exception and clear-cut conquest.

I don't think an American Civ that goes by a "settle/purchase/defend" strategy or uses force to back up trade deals and city state influence rather than going for outright full-on conquest is out of character for how America actually expanded its territory. But I don't think an America that gets on a bunch of horses and goes out and takes over another country for keeps, fully assimilating it, feels like America rather than other Civs that are much more well-known for that.

Top Bottom