1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are there any mods to make Civ2 look like Civ1?

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by DukeNukem, Jul 22, 2008.

1. DukeNukem

DukeNukem Chieftain

I prefer the charming low res graphics of Civ1. But I kinda grew up with Civ2.

2. wonx2150

wonx2150 Chieftain

I haven't heard of one my self but that dosnt mean there isn't. I hardly ever played civ 1 so i cant remember what it looks like. It wouldnt be that hard would it 2 modify civ 2's graphics to make it look like civ 1? The same way we make new units and differnt terrain.

3. DukeNukem

DukeNukem Chieftain

I wonder if it is even possible. That would be so cool if someone could make it.

4. wonx2150

wonx2150 Chieftain

Ill take a look at civ 1 and see what i think :)

Ill let you know how i get on :)

--
    On closer inspection no i think it wouldn't be that easy :p, yes it could be done :p how i don't know. I might if I'm feeling nice do some experiments. It wont be 100% the same that's to hard but i could possibly make it look a bit like it :p.

anyone know how you print screen in dos?

5. Mercator

Mercator Chieftain

6. DukeNukem

DukeNukem Chieftain

Wow great! Do modpacks actually change the gameplay? Ideally I would like Civ2 gameplay with Civ1 graphics.

EDIT: I have taken a look at the sprite files and it looks pretty cool! I have never modded Civ2 before. Is it possible for me to just overwrite the graphics files and not touch any of the gameplay stuff like RULES.TXT?

7. wonx2150

wonx2150 Chieftain

A mod pack can do both it depends on what its designed to do i haven't tried these so i don't know, if they just change the graphics or the game play to. Im guessing they must a bit to make it like Civ 1.

It is in theory possible to use just the grapic files from the mod and not the rules. Then you would in theory only be changing the graphics :p

In response to your edit, yes it is :p. Simply leave the rules out and use the graphic files :).

8. DukeNukem

DukeNukem Chieftain

Thanks.

I'm unsure of which files I can and can't copy across if I just want the graphics.

Can anyone advise?

9. wonx2150

wonx2150 Chieftain

hmm looking at my mod I'm working on atm, Id suggests the following to just change the graphics.

Icons
    terrain1
    terrain2
    units
    city (Possibly see if its differnt to the original)
    cities

files that end in gif, jpg or bmp are graphic files. Files that end in txt are the rules and games lables and so on.

Those are it let me know how you get on :).