Bombardment and hit-points
Worker/Settler distinction

Civ1, however, is better for the following:

Faster, less cumbersome
Overhead-view
Better atmosphere
Superior embassy interface
Best Civilopedia

As to Civ2, that game's too crazy for my taste now; has the best possibilities for customizing though.

Now that the patches have fixed some of my problems with Civ III, I now play that in preference to Civ II. I would love to be able to go back and play the original Civ again, but unfortunately my computer is just too modern for it. I wouldn't have thought it was possible for a computer to be too advanced to play a game--do games have maximum system requirements as well as minimum?--but apparently mine is.

I'm not saying I would play Civ I exclusively, but there were many things about it that would draw me back. For one thing, I like the fact that the graphics are less advanced. I was playing it back when it was new, as well as the 8-bit, 2D games of the NES back in the '80s. I'm sick of all this 3D, lifelike, eye candy. Maybe some people think it adds to the game, but I don't happen to think so. I want content over flashiness. I'd still happily play Civ even if the units consisted of colored discs with words like 'KNIGHT' or 'BATTLESHIP' just written on them, and the diplomatic negotiations were text-only without even a hint of graphics to them. For me, that's no less true of Civ III than it would have been for Civ I.

That said, I did like the negotiation graphic style of Civ I. I especially liked their picture of Genghis Khan. :)

Enough of my old-timer's rant anyhow. Classify me as one who still has the original Civilization game and a strong desire to play it, but has no means to and so, for now, cannot. Perhaps when I can afford it I'll buy a cheap computer with early '90s era equipment exclusively for the purpose of playing Civ I. I hope to, anyway.

Aha, so we're only a dying breed bvecause the computer companies are killing us off with their new, improved, better computer systems!

Is there some thread in the Civ2 forum telling them to spam us and glorify civ2? Just curious.

Originally posted by tSlater
lol, if they new computer systems are so new, improved, better, and advanced, then why can't the systems play old games? ;P
:lol:

You want to know why?
Because they don't want us to, they want us to play their new games and make lots of money!
:satan:

Originally posted by civ1-addict

:lol:

You want to know why?
Because they don't want us to, they want us to play their new games and make lots of money!
:satan:

So true! It's not just games either.

Although, Civ I now runs just fine on my PC. I run Windows 2000. I have to use the command prompt to get it to work, but it works just fine.

I still play Civ I on occasion. I played that game to death when I first got it. I had no manual and I had to figure everything out on my own. That took a long time. I love the Civilopedia. :D I love that game. I play Civ III most of the time now. The new features add a lot to the game. I played Civ II to death pretty much until I started with Civ III.

Well actually I love to play Civ I. The whole atmosphere, the sweet little units, this game has something that no other game could offer can't explain it but is has this "only one more turn" syndrome that all the other Civ's don't have. It's a classic and always will be. I think Civ III will be a hit now but in a few years perhaps even in one year nobody will care about it anymore (that's the problem with those fancy new games they vanish in no time) but the original Civ will stay:

Wohoo :goodjob:

Originally posted by Loony BoB

Back on topic, the main reason I came here was Civilization. Civ I, as it is now called more often - but once you come down to it, the title on the box IS 'Civilization'. So y'no. But I loved that game so much. I wish I could get my hands on a copy =/

Maybe Civilization is the name, but you type, with much impatience, "civ" on your keyboard.

Originally posted by Loaf Warden
I would love to be able to go back and play the original Civ again, but unfortunately my computer is just too modern for it. I wouldn't have thought it was possible for a computer to be too advanced to play a game--do games have maximum system requirements as well as minimum?--but apparently mine is.

Yes, it's a shame, old DOS games don't run so easily on modern PCs. One day, there will be an emulator.
Does someone know if the dos emulator under Linux can run civ?
I repeat here, don't hesitate to purchase an older PC just to play civ1.
Also, try to get a zip with the game, maybe only the installation fails, and the game would run OK?

Originally posted by tSlater

Money. =P I'm a penniless student without a job. =P (I really need to get a job.. =P)

The same goes for myself....Along with the fact that my computer isn't too great and CIV 1 runs perfectly on it, something that I am proud about....

Civ I was the original and always will have a place in my heart. :love:

Civ II is the current best, sure there are things I miss about Civ I but overall Civ II is better. :goodjob:

Civ III : I really don't like this game, Culture points? All the damn advisors!? They eliminated the menu bar on the top of the screen, what the hell? This is not a Playstation game, I don't want to have to click a bunch of buttons just to see the Top 5 cities. :confused: Maybe if I got into it I'd get to like it more but I just hate the interface and its not worth the bother... Plus the screwed up the whole technology chain and took out Fundamentalism!

- Narz :king:

I dont understand all you guys you say that civ1 is so much better than civ3 why??? Ive played all both civ1 civ2 and civ3 and in my oppinion they became better and better.

I just love classic games, and I love the Civ SNES graphics. The 3d just kind of ruins it for civ 3. Allt the units look the same..

I enjoy tile based.

Originally posted by Yoda Power
I dont understand all you guys you say that civ1 is so much better than civ3 why??? Ive played all both civ1 civ2 and civ3 and in my oppinion they became better and better.

It seems to be an old discussion, with a lot of threads about this.
Don't you understand Civ1 hypnotizes us while Civ2 doesn't (I don't know Civ3)?

Originally posted by Wil

It seems to be an old discussion, with a lot of threads about this.
Don't you understand Civ1 hypnotizes us while Civ2 doesn't (I don't know Civ3)?

That's the point: I don't know exactly why, but CIV1 is kinda dangerous:

It hypnotize you and you forget even to dinner!!!
(sleep is too obvious...)

CIV2 clear doesn't the trick. CIV3 has it's days, but some annoying things insist to wake me from it...

Play a game of 1 for the old times :beer:

Hehe , my Wife wants me to drop CivI and get a mistress like other guys do. That way she will have at least get to see me sometimes

Nah... she might say that but she won't mean it if you do. And knowing most Civvers, you'd have both!

Take it from me. I've tried both. One might be more enjoyable but it's far more expensive!

Top Bottom