armies?

panzerfaust

Chieftain
im looking for players' opinions on the worth of armies. my problem is, often i dont need 4 of my panzers to take a city (on regent), and so putting them in an army is pointless for me. can someone tell me where they find armies useful? thanks

i don't use armie, but sometimes if you already have build your forbidden palace or if you are planing to fight a lot you better get an armie and win so you get the small wonder that give you more change of having a great leader.

With great leader you can now fast build wonders.

One useful way to use armies would be to get one in the Ancient or Middle Ages. (Swordsmen work great) Then you can use this one to defend one of your bordertowns, or conquer the enemy. This gives you a chance to build the Herioc Epic which gives you a better chance of recieving leaders, and therefore you can use theese to rush Wonders. Also, you can then build the Military Accademy in order to build Army Units when you wish, and theese are also useful for defensive purposes.

I find swordmen armies (built with the sacrificial first leader) and modern armor armies to be good on the attack, too. I haven't made much use of cavalry armies, as I don't have the production to build armies or the leaders to spare in that period.

Some consider putting ModArm in armies to be a huge waste, because the attacks are limited to one and the repair time is so long. However, because (AFAIK) repair time is the same with or without barracks, I like to repair them in resisting cities. It is risky.

If you are far enough ahead of your opponents late in the game, then sure, you won't need an army of panzers to take a city. But if the AI is even with you, or even (God forbid) ahead of you, they can be essential in an offensive war, especially at higher difficulty levels.

An army can also be useful for defensive purposes. But I don't tie them down in specific border cities. I let my Pikemen/Musketmen/ect. do that. But your panzer army--or any mobile army like all cavalry, all tanks--can still be very useful in a reserve role: moving up to meet enemy threats, launching retaliatory counterattacks, or making raids into enemy territory.

I don't really think a ModArm Army is so much of a waste, as long as I still have enough individual armored units to hold the line while it's repairing itself. An army of four panzers will find very few opponents that it cannot defeat.

me, aztecs, vs persians- rest are minor players. rooting out with calalry cities with fortified infantry or built on hills is sometimes difficult. but then i almost never try to conquer cities with single movement fighters. maybe a stack of infantry would be easier.

I don't make armies very often, I find the hero is much better used for rushing an improvement/Wonder. When I do use armies I use marines or Swordsman, depending on the era of course, they are useful if you plan routes of attack well (from mountains)

first off there are a couple of actual bugs with armies

if you have an army with greater than one movement and they attack a stack of units, if any of the units in the army breaks off even if the army eventually wins, the army will lose multiple movement points

soren said he was going to fix this, and he might have already did

also in 1.17f firaxis gave armies the blitz ability, so now if you have three cavalry units in an army they have multiple attacks, so armies are somewhat more useful now than what they were before

but they are still too expensive to build and require too many cities to be of great value (they should lower it to at least 25% to 300 shields 3 cities)

Top Bottom