Artillary Frustration

Grit

Warlord
Dos anyone besides me feel jipped by the fact that just using arty seems to be a suicided mission!:mad: I mean when I heared the guys at FirAxis were improving the arty I thought that I'd be able to use them the same way as in Civ 3 but I'd be getting more hits than the classic "bombardment failded" or whatever. If anyone knows where I could get a mod or something to go back to the old Civ 3 style arty that would be awsome.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't hate Dictate :king:

Yeah.... its stupid. In ancient times it makes sence... catapults and stuff had to get real close to do their stuff........ but modern artillery would be postioned miles and miles away from the city. They shouldn't have any risk of death at all when they're attacking. The city should have to actually do something to stop the artillery attack.

YEs it bugs a lot of people.

"Hatty, Hatty, let me come in"
"Not by the hair on my chinny-chin-chin"
"Then I'll huff and I'll puf and I'll... throw suicide catapults at you!"

Yeah the whole point of artillery is to attack without putting any troops in the line of fire. So it doesn't really make sense that they've become suicidal... other than only a way to keep it from being too unbalanced. Imagine you had 5 artys against a stack of say, 10 units. With no chance of losing an arty, you would demolish that stack. Artys would be all that would be used.

if you want to get realistic about it then:

defending artillery would hit at one more space than attacking artillery to represent the differense in size of mobile (attacking) and static (defending) guns.

defending artillery would hit at a greater accuracy to represent terrain and distance knowledge and calibration.

Remember Civ III artillery was not damaged in fights, it was captured. At least in civ 4 your artillery can defend and will not be used against you.

The change was a big shock, however it does not make it worse. civ IV is a completely different game with new tactics. the game has improved.

Well this is true but still I don't know mabe a 50/50 shot at actually hitting or maybe increased acuraccy the closer the arty are I think this would have been a better fix

we would have to know the real life size of a game square to know exactly what the range of arty should really be.

IMHO arty should be able to attack 1 square away to all sides to be more realistic

arty not catapults or cannons!

rmill27 said:
Imagine you had 5 artys against a stack of say, 10 units. With no chance of losing an arty, you would demolish that stack. Artys would be all that would be used.

But if arty was slow and had very little defense, then the city dwellers would see it coming, and be able to sally forth against it. There could even be a promotion, that allows units to ignore the defenders in a SOD, and go straight for the artillery. Call it the special forces or sabotueur promotion.

I actually like how they are used now. Gameplay wise I think they are alot better balanced then in Civ3.

Although just using artillary to take a city, which you can in Civ4 is a little unrealistic. If Im not totally wrong here I think that in the begining of WW1 they used to bombard for a very long time before an assault, hoping to minimizing the defensive forces considerably. But the longer the war went, they started using shorter bursts to stun the enemy, because they did the same damage by short concentrated bombardments instead of bombarding for days before the infantry charged on.

Would be cool if you could see the infantry entrenched when they are fortified.

Think laterally.

Imagine you already have the hardware (the artillery guns).

When you build artillery what you are building are the shells. You can only use the shells once. If the artillery survives - fine, you did not fire all the shells. :)

If the artillery captures a city, lets make the assumption the artillery included a supporting platoon etc. that could advance after the attack.

Though personally I think all seige units should be treated like the Gunship - can attack and kill units, but not capture a city.

I'm playing a game now where I hope to test the discovery of gunships with blitz promotion being able to capture cities. I have two cavs with blitz.
I can't wait! :D

is there any way of modding the unit? like in xml or python or is this another thing that needs the over due SDK (source code) "software developers kit" my ass

i hate artilery because the always do colateral damage even when they lose the battle

Remember Civ III artillery was not damaged in fights, it was captured. At least in civ 4 your artillery can defend and will not be used against you

The Civ3 way should be the way siege units are used. It makes a lot more sense and requires more strategy, balancing the overpowered siege units.

Harrier said:
Think laterally.

Imagine you already have the hardware (the artillery guns).

When you build artillery what you are building are the shells. You can only use the shells once. If the artillery survives - fine, you did not fire all the shells.

Harrier, thank you. Now, for the first time I can have some way of thinking about seige units that actually lets me accept the way they work in this game. I've been bothered by the same issue as the OP, and now I can at least rationalize the currently used method -- not necessarily like it, but at least I can rationalize it. :)

WOW. I am amazed by the comments here. I mean, yes the seige weapons are unrealistic in how they are used, but they are done to balance the game and they work really well.

I use seige weapons *exclusively* when taking down cities - to the point where I no longer build cavelry or anything anymore. The collateral damage reduces all the defenders strengths as you keep hitting it with (city-raider enhanced) seige weapons. Eventually I am getting 90% odds on a regular basis with them. Think about it. The city-raider reduces the city-garrison and other defense bonuses. By attacking the city, *a number of the defending units* are reduced in strength, thus increasing the odds for the next seige unit to win and thus survive. The next seige unit does the same thing, reducing the defenders strengths even more so that the next unit has an even better chance of surviving (and thus winning). The defense bonuses are only percentages of the current strength of the unit - a strength that keeps getting reduced. The odds increase and then the battle shifts in the attackers favor. You can reduce a longobman to a strength of 3 without actually attacking it directly and when you do, a city raider 5 strength catapult will out do a 3 strength longbowman. I have taken down cities with a couple of samurai (gotm3) and a stack of catapults against granaiders and musketmen rather easily (alot more easily than I thought).

Create a stack of about 10 catapults (city-raider promotions; possibly 2-3 can have accuracy promotions to take down the city defenses more quickly if you want, but with 10 catapults there would be no need) - 10 is far more than you'll need, 2-3 swordman (city-raider promotions), a scout/explorer with a medic promotion and a couple of city-garrision defensive units. Keep then in a stack, move it up to a city, use one turn to bring down the defences. Next turn use the lowest level catapult to soften them and keep doing it. When the odds for your higher level seige units are around 80%-90%, start using them. If I initially encounter a very powerful defensive unit with city-garrison 3 or something (or a much more advanced unit), then I will sacrifice a swordsman to reduce that units strength. The swordman type of unit has more strength so it will have more chance to do damage to stronger units, thus reducing the defending units strength more. This will increase the catapults odds of success so I wont have to waste the catapults on something that gives 0.1% odds.

I am even getting to the point where I am comtemplating using artillery over modern armour in an equal combat when taking down cities (that is, against a city with mech. infantry). The artillery can reduce the opponents strengths to 25% of it's original strength. In other words, the mech. infantry can have it's strength reduced to 8 from collateral damage alone - making it very easy for the next artillery (strength 18) to survive when attacking the mech. infantry (18 with cityraider vs. 8 with percentagebonuses). I mean, modern armour is great against a military that doesn't use mech. infantry, but I enjoy the collateral damage that comes from seige. When going up against mech. infantry with modern armour, I found that they need the city raider promotions more and as such can't really take advantage of the barrage promotion (plus the collateral damage with barrage is reletively weak anyway). On a weaker defense (ie, infantry), I would use modern armour with the barrage promotions.

Air support would help the artillery more than it would the modern armour because the artillery, with a significantly lower strength than the mech. infantry, would be attacking defensive units with only half strength to begin with (mech. infantry strength of 32 would go down to a strength of 16 and go up against an artillery strength of 18). The collateral damage would do far more damage per unit to the defenders than what a modern armour would do. The artillery would reduce the other mech. infantry to a strength of 8, that is, up to 75% damage to x number of units - basically all the units when you hit it with artillery over and over again. Whereas a modern armour would destroy one unit. Even if it had barrage, the collateral damage would be small and very limited. The only problem with seige in the late game is that it is slow. I do wish the Howitzer's were back from Civ2. That would be cool. Strength 24, collateral damage to up to 10 units and a maximum of 85% damage to units and with a *movement of 2*. That's what it needs.

I guess you could say that seige weapons are designed to constantly reduce the defenders odds of success whereas a unit like cavelry is designed to destroy the unit. The opponents odds are reduced to a point where the lower strengthed units (like the seige units) have high odds of succeeding (and thus survive) themselves.

To be perfectly honest, I feel I get more survivability (which is what I am interested in) from my units by using seige exclusively instead of mounted units because the collateral damage reduces the strength of the entire stack - thus reducing the city units entire ability to defend themselves and reducing their chance of doing damage in return. The mounted unit doesn't do collateral damage, so you are attacking a full powered defensive unit each time, possibly with reduced odds. Plus with seige, you can and will always reduce the city defenses. The seige attack is best done when hitting the city with seige after seige. The collateral damage compounds on itself. Just hitting it with a couple of seige just guarenties that you will loose them and nothing more - which is why I guess people are pretty frustrated with them.

I don't like that they are not realistic, but in terms of game play, I quite like them...they work well - especially against cities.

*please note, I got the values from my head - I didn't look them up, but I am pretty sure they are correct (...but I have not doubt people will correct me if I am wrong ;) ).

Watiggi

Collateral damage should diminish with each attack. After a certain point, artillery bombardment should not be effective as everyone has taken cover and all the easy targets have been hit.

gunkulator said:
Collateral damage should diminish with each attack. After a certain point, artillery bombardment should not be effective as everyone has taken cover and all the easy targets have been hit.

Maybe that is why it caps off at a certain level (artillery at 75%, catapults at 50%), to simulate that.

Top Bottom