As a old player of CIV series for 15 years, I have to say CIV5 is the worst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woodshadows,each to his own. Plenty of people will not like the game, but plenty will. I personally find it better than Civ 4. The SOD idea really was ridiculous in my opinion, and whilst the 1UPT is far from perfect it certainly is much more challenging when attacking enemy cities. Yes it is annoying having your units creamed whilst initiating an assault, and I lose numerous units in this way. But surely this is far better than just sending countless modern armour units in one unbeatable stack? I find myself having to think about positions of my soldiers now, which is surely a good thing. I do find the congestion an issue, though. Having maybe two UPT would make for a smoother, less frustrating experience.

Why is this thread still going? It is a necro post from 2010. Those who hate Civ 5 aren't going to miraculously change their mind on a whim. There is zero reason to keep this discussion alive--let this thread die.

I play(ed) on Immortal/Deity, I quote "Emperor and above" as these seem to be most representative of the general challenging levels of play for the average player. I'm not sure what you mean by 'long trousers', is this some obscure witticism that I've never heard of? If you say you play on Immortal/Deity, without gaming the map to your advantage and can manage to not lose many units in fullscale invasions then I'd call you a liar. If you are playing a large map with multiple fronts, how pray tell do you manage to both fend off waves of invasion on your southern front, while attempting an invasion on the western front, as well as having a holding force for the northern front? On Immortal/Deity the amount of unit spam headed your way is almost never-ending and you can't remain in a defensive posture indefinitely, so you are forced into the position of playing both defense and offense if you ever want to get ahead. If you can manage to defend against a full-scale invasion, have a small holding force in a strategic bottle neck, AND have a full-scale successful invasion on the go with less than 15 units I would love to see how you manage it. Have you placed your AI opponents in the tundra perhaps, while giving yourself lush grassland? Nor am I trolling, but responding to the assumptions with my own.

I have played hundreds of hours of this game, I assure you it is not very fun. You may ask "then why did you play hundreds of hours", the answer being that the fun part of it was the fact I could play hotseat with my gf and after countless numbers of hours spent on civ iv we were looking for a change and gave CiV a chance, trying desperately over the course of those hundreds of hours to eek out some fun. Finally in completely abysmal frustration with such a shoddy game I took the time to look for better alternatives and finally found one and have been playing that since, never having looked back, until now that is, news of an expansion has ignited my curiosity, but looking at the notes it doesn't seem to offer anything very revolutionary.

You know a game must be pretty bad, when its lead designer goes so far as to admit it:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/14/j...-civ-v-explains-how-at-the-gates-will-differ/

Then again, whose brilliant idea was it to hire this untested clown for such an important role? No offense to Jon Shafer, I'm sure he's a swell guy, but really, you have a brilliant franchise and decide to hire a fresh out of college ex-modder to lead the design team, a literal kid? Please. We sure got innovation with CiV, a 'fresh perspective', too bad it SUCKS. :D

I guess Firaxis got their just desserts however, lil Jon shows some real lack of class in shafting the game whose failure he orchestrated, all in order to recruit donations for his latest game. It's like, I'm a big company, I have my hands on one of the most successful video game franchises in history, I decide I'll do a good turn and show some loyalty to the modding community by hiring one of their own, despite being untested, young and fresh out of college. The experiment is a failure and the game only generates sales on the loyalty of fans to the franchise, the young upstart is 'edged out', quits, is fired, whatever the real truth may be, goes and founds his own small company, talks smack about the game he created with the big company while explaining how his new game (which in many ways is very similar to the other game) is even better and will not have the same mistakes which he was the cause of in the original game. Anyone with half a clue would have known that you can't simply take panzer general's 1upt and blindly apply it to a Civ map, they're ENTIRELY different games, something he admits in that interview. Nor can you make enjoyable diplomacy by creating AIs which 'act like humans', or rather, like genocidal lunatics who annoying spam you with taunts and asskissing schizophrenically every other turn, again, as he admits in that interview. If Firaxis had hired someone with experience none of these problems would have existed and CiV could have been a marvellous game, taking advantage of increased computing speeds, for better graphics and higher AI intelligence, amongst other possibilities for innovative gameplay which didn't come at the expense of enjoyable gameplay. No one wants to move units tactically on what is essentially a strategic map! It's beyond any level of ******ation I've met with in a game.

This.

Thank you kindly, everyone except ignorants will admit that Civ5 is flawed in pretty much every aspect. Shafer's article was fun to read (I still won't buy any of his games xP).

P.S. The reason to keep such threads alive is to let people browsing forums see the truth, regardless of meticulous attempts to lock/sweep any criticism into "the rants thread"

P.S. The reason to keep such threads alive is to let people browsing forums see the truth, regardless of meticulous attempts to lock/sweep any criticism into "the rants thread"

...really? Yes, it is some big conspiracy that only the well-informed know about. Spread the truth, brotha! And supposing you "convert" a few of these poor, lost souls, then what? Civ5 is still Civ5. Perhaps it is simply misery loves company?

Moderator Action: Thread died a long time ago, let it rest in peace. It only becomes troll bait to resurrect it. Thread closed.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom