• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Ashes: Australia v England 2006/7

Bell was respectable, Giles batted ok, Jones was reasonable, but completely crap from the rest of the batters. McGrath with 6/50, and McGrath clone Clark with 3/21. Great signs from the Aussie point of veiw.

See, if you're making scores of around 400, then would you take the extra 20 runs Giles can offer at the expense of an attacking, wicket taking bowler? Trade a bowler for an extra 20 runs in 400?

If you're making 150, then those 20 runs are equally inconsequential...if you're making 150, you're screwed, and Ashley Giles isn't going to save you.

He provided his 20 runs today, well done - that's what your in the team for...What good did it do? None at all...

I have no idea what he's for.

Well done to Bell though. Good stuff. It was nice to see him get some runs, even moreso considering the situation he found himself batting in. Played Warne well too. :goodjob:

Still some serious :confused: over the non-selection of Panesar. If they're concerned about his confidence he's not going to get it sitting in the hotel.

Australia just declared, England need 648 to win, or need to stick in there for 11 hours to get the draw.

43-2 at lunch.

Strauss needs a slap. Another ridiculous dismissal. Worse than the first IMO.

Collingwood's also lucky to last till lunch. Looks completely lost against Clark - his feet in cement by the looks of it...

I wish Sky wouldn't fill the intervals by showing us highlights of the failures we've just seen...once is enough.

I'm half tempted to put on my Ashes 2005 DVD after lunch...

I switch to a DVD during these breaks.

Edit: I am totally knackered, but I feel a lot better. Pity about Collinwood, bit rash.

Collingwoods dismissal was hilarious, and Flintoffs. What were they thinking?!?!

KP batting nicely although a few nervous moments. Wonder if theyll be able to bat a day against Warne, Mcgrath and Lee?

Should be interesting, but the odds are against them.

Great to see Bell fall for a duck to Warne. :D

I think Warne has been bowling from the wrong end. I'm fairly certain that McGrath's success in the first innings was from the end Warne was bowling at, making the big juicy crack just outside off wasted.

Indeed, quite pleasing, although you must have had mixed emotions about Collingwood.

Australia whipping England in the cricket, all is right in the world again;)

While i'm not an expert in the game, does it not defeat the purpose to pick a keeper and spinner on their ability to bat:confused:

That would be like picking a goal keeper on the basis that he can take a free kick:lol:

In-gur-land! In-gur-land! In-gur-land!

Great stuff. Finally England actually turn up, and in all honesty, produced their first day of competitive cricket this series - hopefully the series can get under way 'proper' now.

Collingwood was great, and the stick he'll get for dismissal is a bit harsh - he used his feet to Warne frequently. It wasn't a well executed shot, and looked to be down to the "nervous nineties"...but nobody complained when he launched Warney back over his head for six. :D

Pietersen was great too. As always, a couple of rash shots, but overall, a really valuable innings. Not just the runs he's got, but the manner in which he scored them. Some fantastic shots off Warne - he clearly won the battle, and he really took the attack to the Aussies once he got in.

Following on from the point about aggression, England managed to score 250 runs in the last two sessions, scoring at over 4, and at times even better than that - scoring at as good a rate as the Aussies first time round. They finally managed to break the stranglehold the Aussies had from their four pronged attack, preventing the buildup of pressure the Aussies managed to create in the first innings. All the bowlers have innings economy rates of over 3 which is at least something, while Lee got hammered...hopefully he can go back to his role from last summer as the Australian Ashley Giles...a complete passenger...

I'm not too bothered about the two wickets at the end - sure, it hurts England in terms of batting for a draw, but going into this innings as much as anything, it was just a case of getting some confidence, and getting some runs. At least now they've made a start in that direction, and hopefully we can have something of a competitive match at Adelaide next week.

And what about Dad's Army, eh? McGrath already struggling after four days? Let's see if he can manage 5 tests...:lol:

Normal services resumed I see. I just hope the plan is like last time – let them win the first one and then win two more ;)

Let’s hope they can at least make 400 to get some respectability back.

Also, Sky spent plenty of time informing us of the forecast for tomorrow....and the possibility of thunderstorms.

Yeah, I was thinking that. In spite of all his efforts with the bat, if this ends in a draw, Ponting's decision not to enforce the follow on could be recognised as a blunder on a par with the Edgbaston toss last year...

and then the Ashes will be retained.

:mischief:

Every shroud has a silver lining, it seems.

Top Bottom