• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Ashes: Australia v England 2006/7

It might be 346/3, but I think if we were batting, they we would be in a similar position. Yeah the bowling could have been better, but hopefully the bowlers can take a few wickets early to get some momentum going England's way. This partnership needs to be broken quickly, hopefully it will!

I think the bowling was bad. Wildly inconsistent, with all comers failing to find any sort of line and length (bar Flintoff anyway)...That's the problem IMO, that they were able to score at such a comfortable rate with such little risk - just putting away the inevitable four ball per over. It was easy pickings.

They must be better today though, and yeah, I have confidence in the England batting lineup. Especially with Gilo in there at number 8. :thumbsup:

:mischief:

Seriously though, I think the batting is our strong point this series, and the jury's still out on the Aussie attack.

Nope!?

4/402 Flintoff got Hussey with a beauty. Hes almost a 1 man team at the moment.

Great one that from Flintoff...no better sight than that cartwheeling stump.

Lunch. 427-4

One man team sounds about right unfortunately. A bit better today, but as the Sky commentators have been saying, Harmy needs time. Not looking good for this test...

Anderson's got some nice shape going though.

The new technology is amazing. They seem to bring something new out every year. Hotspots pretty cool!

McGrath and Clark hit the English with some major early blows, and Warne was really threatening too in his 1 over. After the Aussies made 600 and declared.

If we can get kp and flintoff cheaply, then england should be following on still about 350 behind.

England need 403.................. to avoid the follow on!

Pretty amazing innings from the aussies. Mcgrath solid as usual and Hussey decided he wanted a bowl so spiked Lee!

Not such a bad first 2 days of the ashes!

ASHLEY!!!

So, on a day when England were looking to restrict the Aussie's scoring rate, Ashley Giles couldn't even manage to fulfill his role as a defensive only bowler - bowling an incredible 7 overs in the day, at a cost of nearly 5 runs per over. No wickets, of course.

ASHLEY!!!

I am pretty distraught about the batting, btw...

:(

phoenix_night said:
I am pretty distraught about the batting, btw...
Aye. What was Strauss trying to do with the shot that got him out? He pulled / hooked (not sure what he was going for) from WAAAY outside off. :shake:

Mind you, McGrath is proving why he was so sorely missed by the Aussies in the last Ashes. Dangerous man that. Someone should slip something into his drink, a la Litvinenko :mischief:

Anyway, can you see the England batsmen sticking it out for the next 3 days and going for the draw? A win is out the question imho.

I was thinking about the prospect of a draw before today's play began, what with a win already looking so unlikely. To stretch two innings to three days is certainly possible. You can bat for four and a half sessions. But even if they did that first time round, the thought of having a day and a half to bat to save the match didn't exactly fill me with confidence at the beginning of today.

Now, we're talking about just 17 wickets for three days, and still 550 behind. It doesn't look good. I'm hoping Bell and Pietersen can get us some runs, and at least give us some positives from this test, but most of all, I'm hoping for rain...:(

To succesfully save the match, I think they'll have to go on past the Australian total. That looks a long way off right now though...

phoenix_night said:
I was thinking about the prospect of a draw before today's play began, what with a win already looking so unlikely. To stretch two innings to three days is certainly possible. You can bat for four and a half sessions. But even if they did that first time round, the thought of having a day and a half to bat to save the match didn't exactly fill me with confidence at the beginning of today.

The Gabba is one of Warne's best grounds to bowl at, and with this pitch turning more than the Gabba usually does, things look ominous for the English. And I really, really, really want to see Bell fail again.

phoenix_night said:
but most of all, I'm hoping for rain...:(
In Brisbane? Yeah right!
phoenix_night said:
One of Bell and Pietersen needs to get a big hundred. Preferably both.
Yup. Then Flintoff and Jones need to do similar. A tall order indeed.

Rambuchan said:
In Brisbane? Yeah right!
Some chance for Sunday apparently. But really, is it any less likely than England amassing a competitive score? :sad:

Rambuchan said:
Yup. Then Flintoff and Jones need to do similar. A tall order indeed.
Yeah...was just thinking, even if Bell and Pietersen do both score hundreds, that still wouldn't guarantee 300, and we probably need at least 400, pushing 450.

azzaman333 said:
And I really, really, really want to see Bell fail again.
:lol: Why's that?

Oh, and also, I made a mistake with Giles's stats earlier on...it wasn't nearly 5 an over, it was nearly 6. :rolleyes:

Another sleepless night coming up..I much preferred it last year when i could simply skive off work + college.

We have to make a total here. Draw is still a possibility.

Top Bottom