1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ashes of Erebus Civilopedia Update Project

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by TheIanOakley, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

sorry to criticize things I had no participation in but I'd like to make a few comments:
    - in FFH, alchemy doesn't really enable to launch fireballs.. so I'm not sure it's suitable : however a slight change may correct it :
    Alchemy
    The true power of alchemy is in the fact that, once a fireball has been bottled in a suitable way, even Mud Golem can use it. It’s that democratisation of magic, I believe, which is why so few nations support the study of the field.
    Felix Askanier, Scholar
    (indeed, IIRC, the workshop giving fireballs to golems was at alchemy. If I'm wrong for RifE, the quote might need to be changed again)

- Bronze working: it is strange that the quote about bronze working makes reference to IRON which is only usable 2 tech laters (and not yet discovered).
    - Steam Power : Muskets are already available to most at the gunpowder technology IIRC ; it seems strange to link it to mechanos. Maybe instead of muskets it could be "unrefined mana" ??? (or however it is called) : something like :

Steam Power
    The greatest invention of the Mechanos is not using unrefined mana. It’s the realisation that with enough hot air you can achieve anything even without mana.
    Felix Askanier, Scholar

Thanks for reading without taking offense

2. TheIanOakley

TheIanOakley Bugged

Nah, that's entirely reasonable - I was cribbing from stuff that wasn't quite FFH, so naturally there'd have been some slight discrepancies. I'll put the edited versions up in a bit.

3. TheIanOakley

TheIanOakley Bugged

List updated. And I know that crossbows are unlocked at Machinery rather than Engineering, but I wasn't about to waste a good pun. And as for Steam Power - I just wanted to keep the pun.

4. black_imperator

black_imperator Chieftain

Welcome back !

I added most of those to next commit but i'm not fond of the The Gift and Trade ones. The Gift because it doesn't really represent the scions. They are very happy to invite other people in and show them how their undeath is better than living. The Trade one just sounds off to me somehow.

5. zmflavius

zmflavius Chieftain

Hi, I just found this thread, and I have to say the idea of updating/completing the civilopedia sounds really awesome to me! I'm right now playing AoE 14.11 (this is the latest AoE version right?), is there a way I can update my copy of AoE's civilopedia to the latest version/contribute in any way to this project?

6. black_imperator

14.11 is the latest version with an installer. Progress is still going on on the svn beta version. As for contributing to the project, the first post has a list of missing entries that's mostly valid for the latest version too. Any help in filling out those entries is very appreciated

zmflavius likes this.
  7. TheIanOakley

TheIanOakley Bugged

That's understandable. I'll work out some better entries for them.

Of course, that ain't the complete list. Basically, if you see any blank Civilopedia entries, come up with something - anything - shove it in here and then the devs can proofread them, decide what needs changing, put them in once they're happy with them.

8. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

In case anyone was wondering right at the time of my last post in this thread I suffered what can only be described as massive creative burnout. :(
    Don't know why I am posting this only now but like I am.

Also if we are going to be making long entries for techs might I suggest that bronze working having a reference to iron is completely fine. Remember, these are civilizations rediscovering what is lost and not really coming out of a proper stone age. They know all about iron and steel, they just can't work it yet.

9. black_imperator

10. PPQ_Purple

Personally I love it.

11. TheIanOakley

TheIanOakley Bugged

12. PPQ_Purple

Here is my proposal for history text for the Mechanos artillery units:

Spoiler Organ Gun :
    Our enemies outnumber us greatly. Their armies are well equipped and trained. Their commanders are veterans of many wars. And above all they are willing, to the last man, to die for their faith. All this does not matter however because we have the organ gun and they don't.

- Techpriest Maxim addressing the faithful

History:
    Contrary to popular belief the "secret" of gunpowder was not unknown to most races in the age of rebirth. They simply saw no real use in it. As anyone who has seen a carnival can attest it takes little skill to construct simple fireworks or rudimentary explosives. But actually making a functional firearm is another thing entirely.

Constructing a barrel for either cannon or muskets that would be both strong enough to withstand the pressures of firing and yet light enough to pulled by merely several elephants requires great metallurgical skill. And there was very little room to preserve these during the Age of Ice. And this is where most sensible civilizations stopped and turned to the magic fireball.

The Mechanos however did not have this luxury and the solution they came up with is elegant in its simplicity. Make a bunch of muskets, as thick and heavy as they need be and mount them on top of a cart. The end result is a weapon with the firepower of a musket line and the battlefield mobility of a catapult. And whilst the later is admittedly not fantastic that offers little consolation to those unfortunate enough to be caught in front of it.

Spoiler Howitzer :
    The humble fireball, elegant in its simplicity is a spell that like no other has caught the imagination of poets and generals alike. Ballads have been written in its favor, and tracts upon tracts about its use. And yet its greatest praise comes from none other than its staunchest detractors. I am of course talking about the Mechanos.

Deprived willingly of all magic the Mechanos have invested an almost unreasonable amount of effort into finding its replacement. And look at what they came up with. First the organ gun, blasting apart formations with its wall of lead. Next the grenades giving ordinary men the power to cast explosions. Than flamethrowers, a weapon whose name barely hints at the horrors of its use. And now even the howitzer.

If these don't make you appreciate the fireball nothing will.

13. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

I'm in favor of all 3 : Organ Gun, Howitzer and cowing.

14. zmflavius

zmflavius Chieftain

15. black_imperator

yeah i plan to add that once i tweak the religion a bit ^^

zmflavius likes this.
  16. Nate Cummings

Nate Cummings Chieftain

I dunno if this is the place for this, but I have a background in copy-editing and I'd like to help out with the pedia update. I've always been a fan of this universe, and I think I have something decent to offer. I also have an exorbitant amount of time on my hands, so that may be helpful as well. I'd like to know the best and most expeditious way I can contribute. Thanks!

17. TheIanOakley

TheIanOakley Bugged

Not a dev, but I set up the thread, so yes please.

As for where to start - Trade's the only tech missing a description, so I'd do that first (as in, give it a suitable quote), then likely the civ leaders need a bit of love.

18. black_imperator

Welcome, any help with the pedia is welcome. @TheIanOakley gave you a couple of examples, but basically any missing pedia entry is somewhere you can start with if you're inspired by it.

19. PPQ_Purple

Doesn't trade have a text in vanilla FFH that we can use?

20. TheIanOakley

TheIanOakley Bugged

Have put together a pedia entry for Raitlor using prompts from here as well as cribbing heavily from the Gettysburg Address. Likely needs touching up, but it's something.

Attached Files: