Assumed hot patch not working?

lschnarch

Emperor
Just got the hotfix from Steam. 8.2MB, new version # is 1.0.1.141.

I wanted to try out the patch and went online with Steam and set the game to "always update".
Then, it loaded something, and since that moment I cannot start the game anymore.

Actions taken:
1) tried to start the game after having updated: I can select the DX10/DX11 setting (which I always use) and nothing happens
2) restarted Steam in offline mode and repeated step 1). Same result
3) Closed Steam and restarted the computer. Repeated step 2). Same result
4) Checked via task-manager that Steam is running and live. It is.
5) Closed Steam. Restarted Steam in online mode. Checked for Steam updates. Checked for file integrity. No updates, file integrity ok.
6) Repeated step 3). Same result.

Anybody else experiencing this?

Nope but it crashed during loading game wich it never done before. I also find this weird bug where the fog of war just didnt remove itself from couple of hexes. I moved my unit into that fog of war but then my unit just vanished, it came back visible once i moved my unit away from that hex.

What does the Task Manager show regarding the CiV process? Does it come in and blink out of the list after you choose the DX mode, stay there forever, or does it never even show up?

If you check the Event Viewer logs for Applications and System (right click on My Computer, click Manage, Event Viewer will be in the tree in the left pane), are there any warnings or errors with a time stamp from when you launch CiV?

Btw, is there any other .exe than the G:\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Launcher.exe?

Because I would expect to find something like a CivlizationV.exe?

i just started civ 5 and it applied this latest update, and now it crashes within seconds of loading a game.
anyone else having trouble with this?
the app starts, i choose single player and load game, the game loads, and after a few seconds everything freezes and it's dead.

In the event logs I found this one:
CivilizationV_DX11.exe
19e0
01cba1d44d0c0a94

g:\steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\CivilizationV_DX11.exe

That did happen at 6.35 p.m. under version 1.135.

Since I tried to load the hotpatch, no CivilizationV_DX11.exe is anymore in said folder (no CivilizationV_DX09.exe either)

Yes, I think the same happened to me. Look into your steamapps/common/sid ... folder and see if Civ5.exe is still there. If not, grab a cup of your favourite hot beverage (assuming you live on the northern hemisphere) and re-install. For some reason steam decided to delete my exe when updating, and this obviously means I can't start the game anymore. I'm currently re-installing, hope it doesn't delete it again

Yes, I think the same happened to me. Look into your steamapps/common/sid ... folder and see if Civ5.exe is still there. If not, grab a cup of your favourite hot beverage (assuming you live on the northern hemisphere) and re-install. For some reason steam decided to delete my exe when updating, and this obviously means I can't start the game anymore. I'm currently re-installing, hope it doesn't delete it again

The funny thing is that I tried to verify file integrity and defragmentation.
Both resulted in status "ok" or "0%".

At least the file integrity should have come back with an indication of files missing, no?

Nope but it crashed during loading game wich it never done before. I also find this weird bug where the fog of war just didnt remove itself from couple of hexes. I moved my unit into that fog of war but then my unit just vanished, it came back visible once i moved my unit away from that hex.

I've had this pre-patch even... so I doubt it's related to the hotfix

Trying to re-install from DVD did not work.

It installed certain things like DX9 and DX11, but that's it.
File validation resulted in "ok" status again.

So, now I assume that I first have to uninstall everything related to Steam and then try to do a new install? Sounds really exciting....

Trying to re-install from DVD did not work.

It installed certain things like DX9 and DX11, but that's it.
File validation resulted in "ok" status again.

So, now I assume that I first have to uninstall everything related to Steam and then try to do a new install? Sounds really exciting....

Well deleting the game and re-installing it fixed the problem for me. Verifying was the first thing I did but it didn't help.

I've run the deinstall option from the DVD now. Didn't erase too many files, though and left the folder structure as it was.
Currently trying to install from DVD, which actually seems to trigger the initial installation process (which the reinstall option did not).
Curious, what will happen then.

Edit: And I know why I bought the DVD...
Downloading would have taken too long... especially since, as we speak, Steam notifies me being too busy.

Great.

Nuts, I was just about to tell you don't uninstall so I could get the file list from you to compare to my setup and send you the missing items. Too slow.

No matter, I'm having fun anyway.
Seems that Steam is downloading the whole game again.

Update process currently estimated to take 5 (!!) hours, fully utilizing my DSL line.

Well, this is really ridiculous...

Edit: it becomes worse and worse :eek:
I really don't get this. I paused the download, and what happens? Steam happily downloads more and more and more.... :lol:

Things like this happen when people turn over control of their computer to external services. After all, it is Steam which knows what you want, not you yourself.. :rolleyes:

Ok, I got it to work.

Steps:
Deinstall Civ5
Deinstall Steam
Disallow Steam's internet access via router
Start installation
Selectively allow Steam to access internet (that way I could ensure the installation process to be DVD-based)

Now I am at version 1.141. Took only around 3 hours thanks to Steam.
Really, updating Civ4 was much less hassle. I could run the update whenever I wanted, and in case of an update not working, I could go back to my locally stored patches and updates.

Bottom line: Steam is quite a bad idea.

Steam has a bunch of holiday sales up and things are unusually slow.

Which doesn't change the fact that I had to disallow it to the internet, as otherwise it would have downloaded the whole game, although I am installing from a DVD.

Trying to override the user's decisions is bold, to say the least.

Just got home from work and ran through a half dozen turns of my huge late-game map. No post-hotfix problems so far; I have a war with Darius with many moving parts and all sorts of diplo messages keep popping up, which is where it seemed to crash before.

Keeping my fingers crossed. At least Steam didn't delete my .exe. Best of luck, everyone!

Top Bottom