1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Atari Sells Civilization Franchise!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Jon Shafer, Nov 24, 2004.

1. sir_schwick

sir_schwick Archbishop of Towels

The delay in announcement could be financial. It could also have a lot to do with the release of San Andreas. Overlap of stories is not very productive for creating shareholder excitement.

2. MikeH

MikeH Prince

Whichever publisher picked it up, someone will remember a bad game from that publisher and be upset. The Civ franchise has survived Infrogrames and Hasborg, I'm sure it will survive Take 2.

I'm just happy it wasn't EA, as I might have had to reconsider boycotting their games :D .

3. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

Well, if EA had picked it up, you could have gotten Civ as a means to research why you're boycotting the company....

4. Ulyaoth

Ulyaoth Emperor

Damnit. I hate Take 2. GTA was basically their only thing done more than half-assed, and it's a very little bit past that. Warmongers rejoice, everyone else, guess we're stuck with Civ3 for building up cities, rather than just mindlessly destroying them.

5. thatinkjar

thatinkjar Warlord

I dont think Take 2 has a particular philosophyon game design, Ulyaoth. They publish games. And look to publish the best games in any and every genre. I'm almost certain Firaxis will be left to their own devices. But I guess we will just have to wait and see. Anything can happen with Take 2.

6. Ulyaoth

Ulyaoth Emperor

well every game of theirs I've played has seemed half-assed, and mediocre at best, with the single exceptions being GTA3 and SA(I hated VC)

7. Neomega

Neomega Deity

I have a feeling Firaxis didn't give much creative control over to Take Two.

Take Two just has a lot of cash based on three extremely popular games.

Take Two will be in charge of the advertising, and little else.

8. Turner

If it does work out that way, then I see better things for the Civ franchise in the future. Could it be that T2 is smart enough to just throw money at Firaxis and let them go? One hopes so.

9. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Didn't I read somewhere that Sid himself is involved in the design process of IV? I realize all too well that corporations can do some really stupid things, but I don't see it likely that T2 sould decide they know what's better for Civ than it's originator...

10. Turner

Well, Sid's been a part of all of them.

But T2 can certainly put pressure on Firaxis if they want the game to go a certain way. I can't recall specifics, but I seem to remember that happened somehow with Civ3.

11. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

And Civ3 turned out to be the finest installment yet. Even before PTW and C3C came along it simply rocked.

I won't form any opinions until I can actually play IV, I'm just saying it's closed minded deem IV as 'suck' a year before it comes out based simply on the name of a company involved.

12. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Good. This is one of the most rational statements I've seen on Civ IV yet.

13. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

All T2 has to do is say:

"Mr. Meier is there anything else we can get you.....NO, no problem......Yes sir, right away.....Yes, we'll be happy to provide the resources to look at web sites like CFC to find out the Civ 4 bugs and suggested enhancements for Civ 5...We know you're too busy, sir.....3 bags full, sir!". Get the idea?

And.....rake in the money.................UNLIKE the French firm Infogrames, these Take 2 folks KNOW how to make money....this is a GOOD thing! :)

And....they can spend BIG bucks advertising Civ 4......and getting the CREDIT the Civ franchise should be getting......And supply more folks to CFC!

What's wrong with this scenario? :)