Atheism as Religion

Both Humanism and Atheism share a secular philosophy, but being a Humanist doesn't necessarily mean that you are an Atheist as well.

I'd agree with that. Humanists, by definition, seek the truth by experience
and investigation rather than spiritual revelation. They can just as easily
deny the existence of God (or gods) as athiests. Or they can say they have
no knowledge of God as agnostics (don't know). Either position can fall
within a broad definition of humanist philosophy.:)

Just thought of some more examples of anti-religion governments besides those of Revolutionary France and Marxist Russia. The anti-clerical governments of Spain and Mexico in the 19th and early 20th centuries were motivated more by a desire to curb the excessive power of the Catholic Church than atheism.

If a state atheism civic was introduced its main benefit should probably be economic. In all the examples I've mentioned considerable amounts of church property were confiscated, tithes were abolished etc. Of course the same is true of the establishment of Protestant state churches which was (IMO) usually done for the benefit of the ruling elite rather than any desire to reform religion.

I too would like to see Atheism in the game. I think it would work in much the same way as religion, with it's own 'prophets' and 'temples'. I don't agree that free religion or no state religion is the same thing, believing whatever you like and Atheism are 2 different things really.

While I do think that atheism should be available to players just as another religion, the enabling tech of biology is DEFINITELY too late, I think either mathematics or liberalism.

i think we have to put aside all the philosophy and ideology of either atheism is religion or not, because i can't see this thread is coming to a conclusion. Let's talk about the mechanic of atheism inside the game instead. ;)

before that, read the thread's title properly first: Atheism as Religion. I hope nobody make unnecessary squabble after this.

IF the atheism is taken as a religion in the game, then they should have no boosts, since the game creator want to treat ALL religion equally. There are no boosts, nor drawbacks in each religion in the game. :)

This will bring us back to a discussion whether ANY religion should be added or not, like the thread about GRP religion should be there or not (and various other thread). One of the thread came to a conclusion that the game creator thinks that 7 religion is enough for the sake of the game balance. :goodjob:

Another point is, IF atheism is to be taken as a religion in the game, it should have what other religion have: Holy City and its shrine, Cathedral of some sort, temples and monastery; which, is quite strange since they don't have any gods nor prophet to dedicate them to. What would it be? give me a real name of a cathedral for or shrine for the atheist to attend to that really exist on this beautiful earth. I believe none can answer to that:mischief: . Keep in mind that library or laboratory cannot be the temple or cathedral since temple or cathedral have to be in the religious context of the game.

I understand that the shrines is where its follower do their pilgrimage of some sort. And the cathedral is somewhere the follower would congregate, especially on celebrations. Is there any atheist that think they have to go on pilgrimage, and congregate when the cathedral calls? I believe that's another no.

It would be peculiar if atheism should be in the game. Even if you can name the cathedral or shrine of atheism, it would just be another religion in the game. There's enough religion to make the ai's chop each other's head off. :p

I don't think atheism works as a religion. It doesn't tend to be at the core of an atheists beliefs like religion is for many believers. Also it has no temples or cathedrals and no holy sites. I suppose you could argue it has its 'prophets' like Richard Dawkins.

I feel that if it was included it would be better if it was a civic.

Top Bottom