Atheism as Religion

i don't know, but i think the most important benefit of this supposed "State Atheism" civic should be a war weariness reduction. a massive one.

If anything I'd argue the opposite (despite being an atheist). In WWII Stalin started being nice to the Orthodox Church so that they'd help motivate the war effort.

But in China, the Cultural Revolution made all the youngsters (and thus the military aged persons) hate religion, and they easily joined in the red guards or other militaristic organizations.

But in China, the Cultural Revolution made all the youngsters (and thus the military aged persons) hate religion, and they easily joined in the red guards or other militaristic organizations.

You just need a strong ideology to do that. Religion can serve just as well eg Crusades and Jihad.

Good point. But thats what Theocracy does, doesn't it? Sorry if this opinion is crap, but I always tend to think of state atheism, especially under a communist system, making people more inclined to do violent things

Good point. But thats what Theocracy does, doesn't it? Sorry if this opinion is crap, but I always tend to think of state atheism, especially under a communist system, making people more inclined to do violent things

You have a point but I think its the Marxism rather than the atheism that does that.

Atheism of the more strident variety shouldn't give a bonus to science. Anyone who wants to know why should read up on Lysenko.

So we're left with a civic with a happiness penalty and possibly no advantages. Sounds good to me :D

atheism can't be defined without the existance of religion. therefor atheism already exists in civ4. it's not adapting a state religion. period. :p the bonus for atheism is nothing cause why should someone struggle for anything without any belief in something?

You think athiests believe in nothing? As I've explained in another thread,
athiests believe in a host of ideas, principles, causes and philosophies. That
they choose not to believe in so-called "spiritual" or supernatural phenomena
doesn't mean they don't believe in anything. Most of us prefer the term
"humanists" as we believe in humanity and human principles.:)

from what i know, a definition of atheism is the belief that there is no god.

under that defintion, actually, we could already have atheism in the game, depending on interpretation - in the form of Buddhism, which some people consider an atheistic religion.

from what i know, a definition of atheism is the belief that there is no god.

under that defintion, actually, we could already have atheism in the game, depending on interpretation - in the form of Buddhism, which some people consider an atheistic religion.

That's a fair point, as Buddhism is about personal enlightment towards a perfect state called Nirvana. But as somebody mentioned Free Religion
could include non-religion as well. So, either way, it's covered.:)

I think that it was a Catholic Pope, Pope Gregory that made the calender we use today, no? It's also used by a lot of the world.

Actually if I'm not mistaken it was Julius Ceaser or one of the other Roman Emporers closer to his time. At that time they had a nasty habit of changing the calander in the Roman congress to magically extend the amount of time in their term.

To combat this constant adjusting of the year it was decided by a Roman Emperor that one calander should be used and not changed.

A BTW Fact, The Japanese calander is based upon the reign of the monarch at that time. So the year would be Showa 15 which would stand for "The 15th year of Emporer Showa's reign". Which makes it difficult to tell how long ago something was cause you gotta know the previous rulers and how long each of them reigned etc....

I think the Jewish Calander has us living in the year 3,000 something.

You think athiests believe in nothing? As I've explained in another thread,
athiests believe in a host of ideas, principles, causes and philosophies. That
they choose not to believe in so-called "spiritual" or supernatural phenomena
doesn't mean they don't believe in anything. Most of us prefer the term
"humanists" as we believe in humanity and human principles.:)

Humanists? Sheesh, what a pedantic way to call people without spirituality. Don't try to hide behind nice words, unbelievers are atheists and that's it. About atheism as a religion, it is nonsense :rolleyes:

Actually if I'm not mistaken it was Julius Ceaser or one of the other Roman Emporers closer to his time. At that time they had a nasty habit of changing the calander in the Roman congress to magically extend the amount of time in their term.

To combat this constant adjusting of the year it was decided by a Roman Emperor that one calander should be used and not changed.

A BTW Fact, The Japanese calander is based upon the reign of the monarch at that time. So the year would be Showa 15 which would stand for "The 15th year of Emporer Showa's reign". Which makes it difficult to tell how long ago something was cause you gotta know the previous rulers and how long each of them reigned etc....

I think the Jewish Calander has us living in the year 3,000 something.

In fact there have been at least 3 major alterations of our calender, by
Julius Caesar and Pope Gregory, as you say, but also in 18th. Century
England to conform to the calculation of longitude (just discovered) and
to establish Greenwich Mean Time as the world standard. They altered the
date by several weeks and people rioted cause they thought they were
being robbed of part of their lives.:crazyeye:
The world's timezones then became standard with GMT as the base.:)

on a few times I've have no religion at all in any of my cities and then select "Theocrarcy" (sp?) and guess what, you could if you wanted (If you leave it like that) have no religion at all in any of your cities and it prevents ANY relgion at all being spread in your lands.

It's not that hard to do, in fact I accidently did it once. Another time I did it on purpose cause there was 5 nations on one continent and 2 were one religion and 2 were another and they 4 kept fighting. To avoid being drawn in on either side I choose Theocrarcy before any one of their two religions could reach my land. I stayed out of the religious wars and I also didn't suffer a -1 for falling under the sway of a heathen religion.

atheists are a very diverse group.

some religions themselves can be considered atheistic - i mentioned buddhism above.

some atheists are those communist hate-religion jerks.

some atheists are the type that have no moral standards

some atheists do have moral standards; they just choose not to believe in a god

some atheists have even more moral standards then people with a religion

so, in conclusion, perhaps Atheists are a rather large and diverse group

atheists are a very diverse group.

some religions themselves can be considered atheistic - i mentioned buddhism above.

some atheists are those communist hate-religion jerks.

some atheists are the type that have no moral standards

some atheists do have moral standards; they just choose not to believe in a god

some atheists have even more moral standards then people with a religion

so, in conclusion, perhaps Atheists are a rather large and diverse group

Exactly. That's why we usually call it "humanism" and ourselves "humanists"

Exactly. That's why we usually call it "humanism" and ourselves "humanists"

If you have several different kinds of people identified or grouped together by their common disbelief in god, wouldn't it make more sense to call them "atheists"?

Humanist, to me, has a connotation that wouldn't really apply to all atheists, nihilists for example.

Both Humanism and Atheism share a secular philosophy, but being a Humanist doesn't necessarily mean that you are an Atheist as well.

Atheism isn't a religion. It's a way of thinking, a philosophy imo. Besides we already have it. "no state religion"

Top Bottom