Atheism as Religion

Sorry, I don't understand your answer. Either we (=human) have a free will or we don't have it (IMHO of course). If it is selective, who selects and with what conditions?

Ok, a more pointed answer is no, I do not believe that any of us roam around of our own free will. I believe that God created us and has guided, in detail, our lives from the moment that we were born.

This is not arguing, this is a question: don't you belive that there has been Ice Age (over ten thousands years ago issue)? What makes your time limit?

If there was an ice age, then I don't believe it happened over ten thousand years ago.

You can't know what I think about time, but I can tell you: I don't believe it at all. Have you ever been reading Fred Hoyle?

Well, I've been reading some Brian Greene's "Fabric of the Cosmos" and in the book he speaks a lot about time, if there's a flow, in what direction do we think time flows and entropy. But no, I've never read Fred Hoyle.

I assumed all other religions were lumped together under 'free religion' and 'paganism' - just pretend free religion includes atheism. That way nobody gets mad and you are happy?

Ok, a more pointed answer is no, I do not believe that any of us roam around of our own free will. I believe that God created us and has guided, in detail, our lives from the moment that we were born.

OK, I see. Because you are a fatalist, it's impossible to influence you.

Wenla

atheism is also based in dogma, the firm belief that there is no God, what until now has not been proven...

skepticism, or to be more precise; agnosticism should be included for a scientific boost!

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned...

In order for Atheism to be treated as a religion it would need to have a cultural benefit much in the way religions would. Because religion helps to bond people of like religious beliefs together more closely, you end up receiving bonuses in a video game. Atheism has no "bonding" effect upon its culture. While there are many secular societies available, none are so encompassing that they could be compared to Christianity, Islam, or any other types of religions.

If anything, Atheism would have to be considered part of Free Religion and Communism but I can't think of any atheistic culture in history that really stands out in the way the big religions do.

i have no idea where this argument is, but, i decided to bring an interesting point up.

a type of "atheism" could possibhly, from a certain viewpoint, already be in the game - i.e., Buddhism. because, well, it denies the existence of god, or, at least, an eternal god (in Buddhism, you can believe in gods - as long as they die)

althuogh...

@mynystry "skepticism, or to be more precise; agnosticism should be included for a scientific boost!"

another arrogant ignorant idiot. it is not necessarily that way. (I'm assuming that as if you're saying that religion stalls sciences like somebody said before)

@cababika
I like your persistence on defending theistic religion on the whole. I support you but i'd say these arrogant ignorant know-it-all won't learn.

I don't mind the atheist who accepts different ideology. But i really hate those who arrogantly insult theists.

@cababika
I like your persistence on defending theistic religion on the whole. I support you but i'd say these arrogant ignorant know-it-all won't learn.

I don't mind the atheist who accepts different ideology. But i really hate those who arrogantly insult theists.
"What do you call an Assassin that accuse Assassins anyway?" :lol:

On a more serious note then Atheism doesn't really fit the Religion term, but it certainly is a belief system. So State Atheism as a Religion Civic would not be out of order (ie. no state religion allowed, 1 unhappy for each non-state religion in cities and 1 happy for each Library/University/Lab).

Alright, this falls in my category of "Post once about my opinion, then leave". If you feel so inclined to quote me, and dispute my beliefs, do so. However, I won't reply (unless of course you PM me :p)

First thing: I think, just so that you understand where I am coming from, I am a Christian, and have always been. However, I have always been extremly good with sciences, and even got the top award for my school in Y13 (the final year) of biology. So don't for a second think that I haven't thought long and hard about the whole Creation/Evolution debate.

Now, in Civ IV, there are a couple of things that I agree with and a couple of things that I disagree with. However, to answer the original question on this thread: Fireaxis decided not to implement Atheism as a religion, as then they would have 15 page threads about this issue :p.

#1: I think Atheism is a religion, if we define a religion to be "A belief system that is not scientifically provable". If someone 'proves' to me that atheism (or, for that matter, any form of theism) is true, then I will reconsider that statement. However, I define scientifically provable to mean "Uses the scientific method", which includes that the proof must be observable, and repeatable, which (obviously) all creation theories (including creationism, which I believe in) cannot ever fall into. That shouldn't put you off, so go ahead and do so! New knowledge is never made by accepting that the old knowledge is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

#2: However, Atheism is NOT like ANY form of religion in Civ IV. There is no holy city of Atheism. The only possible shrine is Darwins book on Evolution, commonly regarded as the beginning of the popularization of Atheism. There are no Atheist missionaries (The closest thing in the real world to Atheist missionaries already exist. They are called Great Scientists, and even that is a HUGE stretch of the imagination, as most Great Scientists in Civ IV are either Christian, or follow some other belief. A few late-game Great Scientists don't fall into that category, however by-and-large, they are theists).

#3: Contrary to popular belief, there CAN exist a state-atheist country, and there definitely exists one in South America, and there used to be one in Asia.

#4: For some strange reason, Free Religion comes with a science boost. It is important to note that religion DOES NOT impede science (note: Evolution, often used in disproofs of this statement, is NOT science, along with all other creation theories. They are not repeatable, nor observable, thus they are not science. Until someone creates a "universe in a box", a creation theory CANNOT EVER be proved). Often, religion helps religion along, as people try to find out why their God(s) made the universe the way they did. Theocracy is the exception, as any new thoughts were accused with heresy. Therefore, Theocracy should realistically be given a science DEFICIT, and a higher free experience bonus. Free religion should have more expensive missionaries, however not require a monestry, and organized religion have only monestry-free missionaries for the state-religion.

#5: Free religion does NOT mean atheism. You can have a free religious empire, where everybody believes in a religion (ie. no atheists), as long as everyone is willing to do so. Free religion does NOT create atheism either. Atheism was created in Organized Religion countries more often than not.

#6: Paganism does NOT mean atheism. Paganism is a form of theism, rather a primitive form of theism that has no major hierarchy of "Gods", just a hodgepodge of equally-ranked good and bad spirits. Paganism is the 'art' of scaring away the evil spirits, while calling the good spirits towards the dwelling. Paganism is NOT dead, and there are still practicing pagans.

When you add these 5 points together, you get a shocking conclusion. In Civ IV, there are NO ATHEISTS, nor any way you can imagine a atheist existing (unless you call, say 95%, of the late-game no-religion populace (if they exist. I haven't added up the percentages of religions in the late game, to see if they add to 100%...) atheists, however it is also possible that they are just all pagans :p). Why isn't this large chunk of people largely left out of Civ? Because Fireaxis, rather wisely, knew that if they included atheism as a religion, then they would draw HUGE anger from the atheists, linking their beliefs with a religion. If you added state-atheism as a civic, then it could potentially work, but it would destroy the work you have done of spreading your religions into the right part of your civ, and would imply that, unless you were using this civic, you have very few atheists in your civilization.

Feel free to quote me in further posts, but don't feel sad when I don't reply. If you feel like you don't agree with me strongly enough, feel free to PM me, and I will listen, and reply to your comment. Unless of course that comment has no real point in it, other than saying that I am wrong. (I did get a PM in another forum after posting in a thread like this. It said quite simply "You are wrong". After asking WHY I was wrong, he replied "I am right, and therefore you are wrong. There is no other way to think about that". I ignored him after that message :p). However, CIV Fanatics: This is a very calm, collected and logical discussion. You aren't off-topic, nor flaming (or flaming very very quitely and discreetly). So keep up the good work :D

[Edit] Actually... there is a possible method to implement it: Having the atheist 'missionary' as the unit that kills non-state religions in a city (used in Gods of Old, and some other mods. From my vague memory, its called the inquisitor), and then have some State-Atheism civic that gives unhappyness for each religion, and no state religion. However, this is also VERY controversial, as that implies that all Atheists are extremist, and won't allow another religion to exist, which isn't realistic at all, and also ruins your hard work in organising the religion from the previous millenia.

Slightly off topic, the Gods of Old mod becomes VERY interesting once the AI adopts free-religion. All the religions go bye-bye as the Inquisitors remove ALL religion from the civilisation, and then they constantly spam Inquisitors trying to stem the slow flow of religion which occurs naturally. They all suddenly become very, very weak :p. Luckily, it means for the state-atheism civic, no changes need to be done for the AI :D [/Edit]

Non-religion should be some sort of phenomenon in the game, but atheism should not be a religion in the game because:

1) It doesn't represent agnosticism, deism, spirituality and other non- or anti- religious ideologies.

2) Atheism is not a religion.

3) Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism and Hinduism can all be atheistic.

Maybe after the scientific method, religion slowly loses its grip, but you get extra scientific research?

And I'm an atheist, btw.

Also, to the above poster, atheism isn't a religion. Atheism is an ideology that fits into religions and other ideologies. You could say irreligion is a religion, but that would be stupid. Since its irreligion...

are people saying religion doesn't stall science? It has done so on numerous occasions before. When science conflicts with religion, people want to keep their religion.

But, I don't think that lack of conflict would imply a 10% boost. Conflicts don't arise THAT often(although they have been a big stumbling block when they have happened). The boost would rather, I think come from people more often shifting their attempt to understand the world through science, instead of through religious study.

I believe in an eternal, immortal, multidimensional God, one who is not bound by linear time and space in the same way we are. For Him it is "one eternal round." Thus, I am suggesting that a "day" to God is not one turn of our planet. Many who have died and were resuscitated that experienced that realm say that they think themselves someplace, and then suddenly, there they are. So, I've come to the conclusion that space there is very different also and they aren't limited by distance the same way we are here. This comes in harmony with the speed of light and how coming close to or traveling at the speed of light as theorized and calculated by physicists will affect our perception of distance and time traveling from point A to point B.

I believe such a realm can be incomprehensible to the three-dimensional mind with only 1-120 years of remembered physical experience. Truly, it is difficult to completely understand the state of minds of people 5000 years ago let alone 100 years ago and to apply and attribute our modern ideas and beliefs to them in retrospect.

I know He exists through personal experience and through direct communication with Him. I know God exists regardless of the ideas of religion and whether or not man believes in Him. I do not claim to be a prophet, but someone who has been taught, blessed, and healed by the divine. Does that make me any more special or better than you? No. You can have the same experiences if you are humble and sincerely seek His guidance and help in your life and never quit trying.

I do not believe all religions are false. I believe all religions have elements of truth and have the potential to bring a person closer to God than the person could left to their own devices. I adhere to a religion that has brought me closer to knowing Him than I could on my own. Find the religion that God recognizes as His own, the one that God himself directs, the one that adapts to continued revelation from Him, and I believe that is the one with the potential to bring you closest to knowing God. Often, we need God's input to us personally to recognize it. One learns the most about God when those lines of communication between heaven and Earth are kept open.

Most likely not. Indeed religion is the belief of man in God or gods. If this belief is non-existent, then it is non-existent.

Boy, this thread has drifted.

For me, belief in a higher being or creator comes from the inability of early man to fully explain the mysteries of his world.

In divising a "God" or "Creator" he did so fully in his own image, to explain
ordinary circumstances and justify hjs position in the world , and to have a explanation to account for disasters and other unforseen cirumstances.

Belief in an afterlife naturally followed as a means to explain what would happen when he died, which necessitated rules and taboos to ensure some
desired fantasy world in the life after death.

Humans, being naturally communal and communicative creatures, then soon
codified their beliefs in ways all their community could share. The next step
would be to actively share those beliefs with other communities, peacefully
or sometimes, not so peacefully.

Many Christians like you take solace and comfort from a personal relationship
with your "God". If that gives you peace and happiness, why not? I have no
disrespect for your belief system or what benefits you think it brings you.
Unlike athiests like Dawkins (small "a" myself), I wouldn't presume to deride
your beliefs, psychoanalize them or dismiss them as fantasy. That's just you.

Historically, religious belief has brought solace to millions in times of trouble
and has inspired the greatest art and science the world has ever seen.
It has also murdered tortured and enslaved more millions of people in the name of "God than any other factor you can describe. If your God was so
all-knowing, all powerful and all loving, none of this would have occurred.

So, let's all agree to disagree and get back to what brings us to this thread.
That is, playing a "God" game like Civilization and being "GOD". That's what we
like to do, and that's what we do best. Remember? ;)

I've not been following this and don't feel like wading through pages and pages of religious arguments.

I'd just like to say that I think Atheism would be a good inclusion, and it could work something like this.

Removes all religious buildings from city. (happy/culture bonuses removed)
Can only be used when running Free Religion civic
+50% Research for that city (+10% with Laboratory, +10% with Observatory)

Or something like that.

It could be used to replace happiness and culture with science.

With Free Religion allowing people to believe what they want to, it would allow Agnosticism to flourish. That means the city would have people that don't believe in "God", and people that don't care whether "God" exists or not.

:goodjob:

I'd rather see 'New Age' in the game. Atheists DO NOT believe. Only belief increases human initiative and increases social "happiness" (is something possitive). Makes people more resistant to goverment's decisions. etc.

I do not analyze which is true. I am analyzing, which is more comfortable and which gives more resistance. I am closer to being agnostic than being a believer.

I'd rather see 'New Age' in the game. Atheists DO NOT believe. Only belief increases human initiative and increases social "happiness" (is something possitive). Makes people more resistant to goverment's decisions. etc.

I do not analyze which is true. I am analyzing, which is more comfortable and which gives more resistance. I am closer to being agnostic than being a believer.

What makes you think athiests don't believe? Most of us have profound
belief in a host of things, principles, goals and philosophies. That we don't
waste our lives on promoting the so-called spiritual and supernatural is
hardly evidence of non-belief, is it?:lol:

To a recurring theme in this thread. Liberal atheism isn't a problem; that's merely an extreme example of Free Religion.

I would welcome Atheism as a civic representing an antireligious state doctrine, at high upkeep.

- No benefits from religions or religious buildings including Shrines (either way)
- Same diplomacy modifiers as a religion (positive for other atheists civs, negative for any with a state religion)
- Beneficial Modifiers to Science and War Weariness (not sure how much would be balanced)

I'd include more (such as Great Prophets being replaced) but the civic would already be unwieldy enough.

The only states that have promoted atheism were (briefly) post-revolution France and Marxists. I suppose a state atheism civic could be included for them but most atheists aim for a Free Religion (including the freedom to have no religion) situation. Secularism is nothing to do with atheism. Both the US and France have secular constitutions but are more religious than Britian which has a state religion.

atheism is also based in dogma, the firm belief that there is no God, what until now has not been proven...

skepticism, or to be more precise; agnosticism should be included for a scientific boost!

afairyism is also based in dogma, the firm belief that there are no faeries, which until now has not been proven...

skepticism, or to be more precise; agnostic fairyism should be included for a scientific boost!

i don't know, but i think the most important benefit of this supposed "State Atheism" civic should be a war weariness reduction. a massive one.

Top Bottom