1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ATI Graphics Card Owners: PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by ainwood, Oct 26, 2005.

1. LoneWolf5050

LoneWolf5050 Chieftain

Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 128MB RAM

Catalyst version: 5.7 I think, not the latest I'm certain.

Awesome card in terms of dollar value for performance, at least that was true about 9 to 12 months ago! :) The 9600XT architecture was one of the starting points for the newer lines of ATI cards.

--Julian

2. culdeus

culdeus Chieftain

Same issue Dell D600 same driver and card.

3. homeyg

homeyg Chieftain

*sigh of relief*

4. Jecrell

Jecrell Ruled: Civ3 - Civ5

I had a lot of problems with my ATI X850XT with Civ IV with the regular ATI catalyst drivers. My friend recommended the Omega Drivers.
    http://www.omegadrivers.net/

The latest version uses a new beta driver that seems to work with Civ IV. I highly recommend it if you havn't tried it yet.

5. doronron

doronron Chieftain

There's a trend growing here. Radeon <SERIES NUMBER> XT cards seem to be the ones having problems. The Pro variations of the same cards seem to run just fine. I've noticed players with x850 XTs can't render no matter how many times they clean their drivers, but my x850 Pro installed and ran on the first try...

6. MurdockTheCrazy

MurdockTheCrazy Chieftain

ATi Radeon X800XL [or was it the XT? Damn, I'm too young not to remember that] .
    ATI Catalyst version 1.1.1858.40280 [Anyone think THAT should be updated besides me?]
    Game won't even start, when the game attempts to start-up it fails before even going full-screen, says "Failed to Initialize Renderer - Check DirectX Version and Graphics Settings".

Direct X version was 9.0c before I even installed the game. Once the game had this problem I installed the one that came with the game just to be sure, still didn't work. I then installed a fresh copy of DirectX right off Microsofts website, still no worky.

To top it off, I'm having other video-card related problems since I installed Civ IV, the video card is just crawling along like someone tied a lead brick to it. This must have been caused by either Civ4 or the changes in DirectX, becuase an hour before I was playing BF2 just fine, and I haven't installed or messed with anything since then [other than Civ4]

Not a virus issue either, I don't surf the web on the game-box except to update games/system stuff, and I have a good firewall and virus-scan running. I've basically done nothing on this system other than play BF2 for the last few weeks, and now I install Civ4 and something went kablewy.

I'm probably going to update the ATI driver first, and see what happens, if it still doesn't work, i'm uninstalling Civ and not messing thing up anymore than they are until someone fixes this issue.

I'm not happy about this one bit.

7. MurdockTheCrazy

Uninstalled game, video card issues mentioned before went away... This takes the ticket for oddest issue of the last three months.

Not sure what, but for some reason having Civ4 installed just messes up my ATI card... Or maybe something else. I'm going to try updating my ATI drivers [which, it seems, SERIOUSLY need updating... not sure how I overlooked it].

Will report back.

8. larenzo9

larenzo9 Chieftain

Card: ATI 9600 XT 256MB
    Driver: Omega 2.6.75a
    Doesn't work

I have tried all the fixes other people have suggested:
    unistalled and reinstalled the driver
    installed DX 9.0c that came with the game
    changed ini file to not use fullscreen
    changed screen resolution to 1024x768

Nothing has worked - am still getting the "Failed to initialize renderer" ERROR.

9. opticaljim

opticaljim Chieftain

Called tech support and they told me my driver was outdated (whatever). Anyway they directed me to nvidia.com and I downloaded a version of GeForce MX 420 version 6.14.0010.5673.

That takes care of one issue but I have several more bugs to play through.

I've been playing Civ III for about two years now and this game makes me feel like a 1st grader. A lot to learn!

10. Junuxx

Junuxx Chieftain

I have exactly the same and I agree. Glad it works with you, got hope now ;)

11. scritchy

scritchy Chieftain

Card: X800 XT
    Driver: 6.14.10.6497 (12/7/2004)

Works fine.

12. doronron

doronron Chieftain

Seems my observation about it being a Radeon XT variant issue is holding true.

Murdock, is your ATI card an XT or Pro (ie. x300 XT, x300 Pro)?

13. Tranquility

Tranquility Grand unifier

Card: Sapphire Raddeon 9600 ATlantis

i don't have the game yet, but is there anybody who has this card? If so can you tell me if it works or not and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

14. pf1085

pf1085 Chieftain

Same issue for Dell 600m
    mobility radeon 9000
    Driver 6.13.10.6279
    :mad:

15. mattigus

mattigus Chieftain

ATI mobility 9600
    Catalyst Drivers

The game works, but I get a Blue Screen of Death after extended periods of play.

16. Knight451

Knight451 Chieftain

Card: 9600XT
    Driver Version: 8.18.0.0
    Works / Doesn't work: Doesn't Work.

17. MurdockTheCrazy

I really can't tell you without either opening the system up or finding the box... I just upgraded to this a few months ago and I already don't remember :rolleyes: .

I don't think it's a Pro... I'm pretty sure it's an X-something... Maybe an XT, maybe an XL... Both of those snag my memory... I'm not even sure they made an XL :lol: .

If updating the drivers doesn't fix it, I'll check exactly what card it is and post it.

18. Rayanth

Rayanth Chieftain

I have this card and am having issues.

19. Zero_Kool

Zero_Kool Chieftain

Radeon users: Make sure you have the latest Catalyst drivers. 5.07 did not work with my Powercolor 9600 Pro 400MHz. Had to install 5.10.

20. Hypus

Hypus Chieftain

9500pro/9700 128mb ddr
    Catalyst 5.10's
    Works GREAT

The Catalyst 5.10 driver is quite new also...not more than 10 days I'd say.