Atlantis?

Thorgalaeg said:
Then Incas were not a civilization for you?
Yes, they were and one of my favorites to boot. My post about writing was related to human kind's initial rise from "tribal" cultures to cities, city states and civilization. Once the Sumerians invented writing, governments and bureaucracies could expand to new levels of complexity allowing a greatly enlarged area of influence and trade.

The interesting question raised by the Incas is: Were there any cultures similar to the Incas in sophistication and complexity in the Middle East prior to either Sumer or writing? I haven't seen any evidence for any. Or were the Incas just an aberation.

Birdjaguar said:
The interesting question raised by the Incas is: Were there any cultures similar to the Incas in sophistication and complexity in the Middle East prior to either Sumer or writing? I haven't seen any evidence for any. Or were the Incas just an aberation.

The Incas were not the first massive Andean Empire with a sophisticated raods system and army. The Huari were.

North King said:
The Incas were not the first massive Andean Empire with a sophisticated raods system and army. The Huari were.
I agree. But were there others like them in the Middle East prior to 3300 BC?

forget the middl east prior to 3300 BC- start nameing anyhting of real civilizaiton inthe americas before 400 BC- and pottery doesnt cut the mustard mind you-- it was known, litterally, for thousands of years in japan and other areas of the old world befor peopel actual began to settle down into permanent settlements

es, they were and one of my favorites to boot. My post about writing was related to human kind's initial rise from "tribal" cultures to cities, city states and civilization. Once the Sumerians invented writing, governments and bureaucracies could expand to new levels of complexity allowing a greatly enlarged area of influence and trade.

I think writing as we know it is not so fundamental to build a civilization. The thing is to have a system to keeping and transporting data. The Incas had indeed a sofisticated "textil" system, the "quipu".
It was based in specially knotted strings.

Thorgalaeg said:
I think writing as we know it is not so fundamental to build a civilization. The thing is to have a system to keeping and transporting data. The Incas had indeed a sofisticated "textil" system, the "quipu".
It was based in specially knotted strings.
Writing began as a method of accounting and counting. Numbers and objects were bound together in a single concrete counting term: one jar of oil and one jar of oil equaled one jar of oil and one jar of oil, not 2 jars of oil. This system prevailed until about 3100 BC when numbers were invented and separated from objects. The first record of this change is from Uruk. Abstract numerals could be associated with objects as needed by the scribe. This revolution also allowed the development of words and soon we had written names, poetry and literature as side effects of the invention of numbers.

The quipu could not be used beyond data and the Incas were restricted to an oral tradition for their history.

Atlantis? I think it was in the center of the Birmuida Triangle.

Atlantis was in the middle of atlantic some where around azores . some people say that the nine islands of azores were actually the nine biggest mountains in the continent the problaby was atlantis. But... that's only a theory

Is geologicaly impossible that in middle of the Atlantic was ever a continent. Azores are volcanic islands surged due to magmatic pressures in the oceanic dorsal. Oceanic crust is continuously created in that oceanic Dorsal, no continental crust. Leaving these details aside, Where is the necesary continetal crust that formed the Atlatis continent? 10,000 or 100,000, 1,000,000 or even 10,000,000 years in geological time is nothing. However Around Azores there is only oceanic crust.

Nope, If Atlantis was in the Azores Islands it was the Azores Islands themselves.

Top Bottom