[MoO] Attention Master of Orion players

Dukinson

Warlord
Come on over to spheriumnorth.com if you like. This forum is more geared towards civilization games. The Orion Nebula is purely for Moo junkies.

Standalone forums generally seem to be dying. Not nearly as many people use them as before. What to do?

My advice is to set up a Steam Community forum for Master of Orion discussions since there's a lot of potential traffic to pull from Steam players.

Steam Community forum
This has been set-up:
steamcommunity.com/app/discussions/

Unfortunately the small MOO1-MOO2 community is scattered over various fora:
There is this one of course and the above mentioned steam page.
Then there are THREE (3) for reasons unknown masteroforion.com.eu.asia fora, which are subdivided for different languages.
Also there is Spherium as Dukinson mentioned, which is a bit quiet, but got really good MOO2 info about modding, strategy, multiplayer etc.
Lastly there is a MOO2 Facebook page, where some active discussion take place from time to time, mostly about moo2.
Also for MOO1 there is realmsbeyond.net/forums/forum
And - almost forgot - the gog.com forum

It would be very cool to have everyone under 1 roof but it does not look to be happening soon.

Last edited:
Standalone forums generally seem to be dying. Not nearly as many people use them as before. What to do?

My advice is to set up a Steam Community forum for Master of Orion discussions since there's a lot of potential traffic to pull from Steam players.

As far as moo2 players, there seems to be a little bit more traffic there. At least more commenting contributing members. Likely because of it's standalone nature and diehard members. There are more users here, but most of them are in other forums.

*Edit*
It seems to have turned around, lately there are more posters here now. However, it's useful to go back and forth between the two sites to get more archived info.

New call: shall we move to the the official masteroforion forum!
I have discussed with moderator yesterday and he created a special folder for MOO1,2,3 called "Master of Orion - The Legacies". And not hidden away in some sub folder, but in the root.
An ICE thread is already there and after this post I will continue to make a 'strategy, stories and war reports' thread too.

forum.masteroforion.com

New call: shall we move to the the official masteroforion forum!
I have discussed with moderator yesterday and he created a special folder for MOO1,2,3 called "Master of Orion - The Legacies". And not hidden away in some sub folder, but in the root.
An ICE thread is already there and after this post I will continue to make a 'strategy, stories and war reports' thread too.

forum.masteroforion.com

Official forums have a tendency to get removed without consent of the posters.

ok. is civfanatics not an official forum?

What I mean is that official forums are run by businesses who ultimately don't give a crap about consumers beyond what they spend. What happens if, in 2-3 years, WarGaming goes bust?

This is what happens: Master of Orion III - official forums

I've seen this exact same thing in other genres where fans coalesced on official sports or gaming forums. At some point, the business decided to pull the plug, move to a new forum style, or simply set tight purge criteria resulting in a huge loss of fan posts with no way to ever get them back.

While I personally think it would be awesome if all MOO discussion were under one forum, I'm just theorizing that 1) fan forums are longer-lived than corporate forums and 2) the web community is now way too fractured to expect to get everyone posting under a single forum anyway.

Just checked the info:
"The Civilization Fanatics' Center is an independent fansite, privately owned and operated by volunteers."
Did not realize. Am relatively new to 'the forums'.
Your link in any case is shockingly empty example of information lost.
Let's just stay here then, under the wings of Civ fans.

I suppose Ray does have a point. At the very least this forum has stood the test of time. Perhaps if the new moo becomes a smash hit, it still might not be such a bad idea to move there. The moo3 forums dying is more understandable in that it was a terrible shameful iteration of Moo.

I'm not convinced MOO4 is going to be a smash hit. It's being marketed to younger players who never played MOO1/2, which makes sense because they outnumber the original MOO fanbase by 100 to 1!

However, while MOO4 has shown very nice artwork and voice acting, the game itself visually looks fairly standard and much like other 4X space games in the market that did not exist in the days of MOO1/2. That means it could have a difficult time distinguishing itself from its competitors and becoming a big hit.

I am bumping this thread for anyone who is interested in MOO-related discussions on a fan forum.

The Master of Orion forum at RealmsBeyond (http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13) has a lot of knowledgeable MOO veterans on it and regular conversation.

I have decided to do all of my Java-MOO related discussion over there. Feel free to join in!

Top Bottom