1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Autumn 2017 Patch General Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Art Morte

Art Morte Prince

The AI seems so much better at settling cities after the patch that it's making me re-learn the game, lol. Can't rely on having ample space to settle cities far into a game.

2. TurboJ

TurboJ Warlord

I've been playing more still and I think the problem with those frigates extend to all ranged and siege units also. AI is somewhat able to utilize melee units, whether they are land or water based - but ranged units are a problem. There are way too many cases of sitting still when they could shoot instead. Quite often an enemy catapult will just sit there and not take a shot no matter what. Archers/crossbows etc (units who can move and shoot) seem to work a little bit better, but sadly not naval ranged units.

If there was a mechanic called "panic" or something to that effect, it could explain why ranged units just sit and watch, or cruise around without a cause while refusing to shoot the enemy. But I haven't heard of any such mechanic, so it must be either a bug or seriously compromised AI design. I am seeing AI units retreat more after the patch, which is good. As for healing - doesn't seem to work too well I'm afraid. In the same game I mentioned. AI Norway would just move their half-HP ironclad fleet around, not attacking nor healing. They even retreated the unit back into a safe healing position, but continued to move again before any healing could take place. And no, I wasn't threatening the unit with my ships at the time.

AI units in general have a strange tendency to either move around without reason or just sit still while they SHOULD either attack, fortify or retreat. Quite often my city is "miraculously" saved by the last enemy melee unit deciding not to attack after all, but instead retreat and do whatever else. Ranged units seem to be the most reluctant ones to use their weapons. It all feels very broken and I'm not sure if the patch did anything meaningful in terms of making the combat AI any more dangerous.

I will play a naval game next to test things out once more; put only naval civs on a water map and see if naval battles will take place. So far I've not seen AI utilize their ships and even Norway in my previous game was curiously reluctant to build ships in the first place.

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

4. bbbt

bbbt Emperor

Interesting, maybe now that the DLC cycle is done pre-expansion, they are going to go with more frequent update cycles: that way they can claim they 'fixed' xplatform, but the mac and PC versions will always be out of sync so no one can verify it ;)

5. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

One thing I'm curious about, it seems like these patches cause old save games to be unloadable, is that the case? I haven't actually tried to load an old save game. Is there any way to get them to load if that's the case?

6. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

As to ironclads not healing, perhaps they had no iron...

7. Eagle Pursuit

They use coal.

8. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

Sorry... coal.

Same reasons though...

9. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Has anyone been building Dar-E Mehr's? I'm liking these religious buildings. Though I'm still not sure they are better than mosques. I really do like the extra religious units charge on mosques. Meeting houses are the best of course, but good luck getting these, even on the middle difficulty levels the AI will get these before you. So the real choice is between mosques and Dar -E Mehr's. Synagogues seem completely useless since they don't give as much faith as Dar -E Mehr's (although early on they give more faith).

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the new religious building. Or just the new religious beliefs in general.

My current game I just completed as Indonesia I was getting 8 faith from the Dar - Mehr's in the information age. Not too bad. This is without running Simultaneum policy. Seems like the best choice to me especially if you are using faith to buy things other than religious units. If only going for religious victory then maybe mosques might be better.

10. Rosty K

Rosty K King

I always leave religious building as the 4-th belief, and then end up not picking it at all - I usually can find better uses for that Apostle or faith at that point.

Of the new beliefs, well, the Colonization one might be kind of cool. What else is there? The Holy Site culture bomb - quite situational (and as any culture bomb in Civ6 it won't take tiles past the 3-rd ring, right?), and I forgot another one.

I think at this point I still prefer Religious Community (or whatever, one that gives production) + Tithe + the one which makes your religion spread faster (I'd have the Jesuit Education for the third, but the AI always beats me to it).

Well, if I'm going for the Religious Victory, the choices could be different (and I'd pick Mosque then). Has the religious victory become less boring with the new update, btw?

11. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

I'm actually not convinced that they're better than synagogues. While they'll produce more faith eventually, the synagogue will be ahead for the first couple eras, and getting resources sooner is, as a general rule, better than getting them later.

nzcamel likes this.
  12. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I believe it's Scripture. Like you, I always take that and Tithe and leave the Religious building for last (and then never wind up taking one)

13. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I grabbed them in my current game, mostly because I saw that I could get at least one complete right before jumping to the next era, so I know it wouldn't be a long time until they caught up to at least a synagogue. And yeah, they give a lot of faith at the end of the game, but not as much earlier when it might be more important. I think if you found an earlier religion, they're useful enough if you think you'll be playing the long game, but I think I'd probably still rank them lower than most of the other buildings. Since any later holy sites won't really get any benefit from them, they're only useful if you can get them early.

14. Wheat4Days

Wheat4Days Chieftain

Man, I really want them to roll out the hotfix for the Placement bug, having City States or God Forbid other civs within spitting, or sometimes breathing distance kinda ruins my early settling mojo and makes me have to put more work in military, which is slow in early game, just to conquer a neighbor that is much too close.

15. bbbt

bbbt Emperor

Multiple qa updates last week, nothing this week - but twitter comments about testing. And no movement yet on the mac/linux depots. It remains a bit of a question mark.

16. Eagle Pursuit

I think the lack of Mac/Linux action is a big tell. Aspyr is waiting for Firaxis to finalize something, I think.

17. isau

isau Deity

The main utility of culture bombing IMO is to steal tiles away from City States. I do wish you could culture bomb up to 4 tiles away instead of 3 though. Since you can only ever place a district up to 3 tiles from the city center, that would make the culture bomb effect entirely consistent with the existing rules, and you'd only ever fail to grab tiles if they already contained a district.

18. LoneDragon

LoneDragon Warlord

I'm a bit late to the party and only read the first 17 pages of this thread so....
    Had anyone yet mentioned the inability to end turn when cities can still make ranged attacks?

19. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

Why would you not use the ranged attack?

20. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

It's more that prior to this, it was very easy to accidentally not use a ranged attack, because the Next Turn button would show up without reminding you to do it.

nzcamel likes this.