Avalon Hill's Diplomacy

FFox:

You can refer to "the guy" as Brooksy, since that is his nickname. Not that this matters, since in a few short turns - whoops, I mean days - several of us will have real names anyway.

But whatever.

Pellekan, thanks for your cooperation :) !!! in coping with our prejudices, and as fair due, I will log on to that damn thing and give it a try anyhow.

But greater thanks for unzipping your fly on your experience - Jesus, what an intelligence trove that will be for my analysts! - and in fairness, I will respond with:

Face-to-face: approx. 150 games
PBEM - none
Snail - none
Judge - none

So as you can see, I'm looking forward to "vive le difference."

Your initial move from Germany wasn't disastrously bad; just a waste of a supply centre that you shouldn't pass up. I've always found that even the weakest diplomacy players don't necessarily make stupid moves so much as "mysterious" moves, the kind you shake your head over and say, "well, if that's what you want to do, it's your army..."

Based on his stories of games past (I'm only in e-mail contact with him so I can't ask too easily) I would guess Brooksy has about 20-50 FTF games under his belt in tournament conditions.

I have no issues whatsoever with speeding up gradually.

R.III

Excuse me but I thought this was civ fanatics web site? What does a board game have to do with civ? :crazyeyes Just curious why this topic was brought up on a civ site that is all. :scan:
Axis & Allies is another good board game I understand, many people across the US play it all the time. Since this is a off topic civ post anyways! :D

Desert Fox
:p

Flatlander Fox, tried e-mailing your two addresses and they were undeliverable.

???

Will try again but is there something wrong?

Both E-Mails came through, so I am in contact with you.

I would reiterate thanks to both KoC and Pellaken for their suggestions. And I too will probably sign up, just not right now...

If I don't see Pedro VERY soon, I will play the last country.

I will negotiate with no one, and write my orders at the beginning of every diplomacy phase. I won't see any orders before I write the ones for this country. But I will try and keep them in the game.

I will do as well as possible, and maybe someone can step in for them as soon as the game is afoot.

Hopefully around 1400 GMT tommorrow, I will be E-Mailing your countries to you, and posting them here.

My experience: 3 PBEM games (Mid Nineties, hand adjusted) and hundreds of FTF games. (Mostly with strangers) Quite a few snail mail games also.

Hopefully Pedro will reply!!!

Upon Edit: Desert Fox, this is a civ website... But it also is a community of like minded individuals. Diplomacy is the greatest game EVER made, no luck, no chance, all strategy and silver tongues. The Kennedys played it when JFK was in the White House, and it is still popular (although it is a dying breed).

Axis and Allies is a horrible game, predicated on luck alone. If you feel like playing a REAL wargame, play Avalon Hill's Third Reich.

I play AApacific and AAeurope at:

www.aaeuropemc.com (not been active in last 60 days so am not on scoreboard...should I play again I'll be easily in the top 10 still) and www.days-of-infamy.com (at present moving from 3rd to 8th position...will be back to 3rd or forth soon) respectively...if it was merely a game of luck I am VERY lucky indeed ;)

As for Desert Fox...this is the "All Other Games" section andllows civfanatics to pursue other interests and in this case play a cool game with some people of reasonably good character :goodjob: (only reasonably...this is in expectation of SOME stabbing in this game)

I am not big on a dead weight nation either...

But I am less enthused about a nation in Civil Disorder!!!

Bring in another person if you have them.

People I am disapointed . You (not everyone) have taken a simple gaming cocept and have thrashed it around until it has lost every chance to shine. Flatlander has made some great efforts to find people willing to play and you people ( not everyone) have repaided him with dumb web links gripes -n- moans. The cocept of a simple Diplomacy E-mail game is vanishing behind a pile of crap!
I realize it takes time to find people for a game. But, it does have to be dragged on by petty thaughts! I hope that I haven'
t made people not want to particapate , but when I see a problem then I say something. I'm probably enemy number one now but that's OK!

Flatlander : To make things simple and easy and nice , I doen't care what country I have.

BEERMAN you echo what I posted on page two in confusion (lets just say my words were a bit more harsh B4 I edited them)...

Quoting me:

My my...alot of words!

What is happening?

We are playing diplomacy (e.g austria hungry etc)? with standard diplomacy rules?

It shouldn't be that complex to sort out...

Submitted my preference list (I wonder who will get austria).

It is quite evident that it IS a simple game we ARE going to play...WRepublic simply was offering the system HE uses to play the game -which IS surplus to requirement.

I understand your frustration Beerman, but the people were just trying to be helpful.

I am still short a player, and will wait 'til the end of the day before we set the game in motion.

At that time, the dead weight country will be revealed, and the hunt for another player will continue. I have a line on an old school friend who may be interested. But if there is somebody easier to get, then that would be best.

I want to get started on the diplomacy phase. But to do that I need a couple of things:

Another player? If not we'll have a rogue state...

The preference list from Brooksy!!!! E-mail it, or post it here on the site, doesn't matter.

Several players already have their countries, and I should be able to give out the rest tonight...

I will post here the countries of every player, and then Diplomacy will begin!!!

look, Mr.Beer. I am no idiot I know that was an attack on me.

I sent weblinks to stragety articles, and other stalwarts of the online diplomacy world, I also sent links to bounced, still the BEST way to play diplomacy online. the rest of your post is so convoluted I cant understand it. pal.

let me reply:

would you like to drink beer that is 0.001% alchahol? your name suggests you like beer, so I use it as an example. no, of course not! I dont know what average is, since I dont drink, but I'd assume you'd put up a fuss. well I am in almost too many diplomacy games right now, and many other things that take up my time on the internet. I dont, by any means have to play diplomacy. I havs said I will play with 1 week deadlines, but would still prefer 72 hours. you suggest I ruin diplomacy? how by helping people? well then I am SAWWWWWW-REEEEEEE boo hoo :cry: hope I dident hurt your feelings.

This may be a ruse to make us think they won't make an alliance that will destroy us all...be on your guard gentlemen :D

To all that are following this chain, I Beerman apologize if I hurt anybodies feelings ! But, like I wrote before Flatlanders' game is simple!

Pellaken: My name has nothing to do with my drinking habbits!:beer:

Kitten: How did you find out about our plan?;)

Pellekan, we need another player. If you know someone, bring 'em onboard.

Richard, your guy needs to get onboard if he is interested.

Pellekan, I would make you Switzerland, but we need you too badly to play a REAL country.;)

Thanks for your e-mail, FF.

Why can't we all just get along?

I'll kick Brooksy in the ass to get him up and running, but it turns out he copied me on Friday w/ his e-mail to you of the following preferences:

England
France
Germany
Russia
Austria
Turkey
Italy

Since he also mumbled about the need for rules, etc, I take it he's actually on board.

R.III

In the best interests of getting a game started, I will play the last country...

I will confer in limited Diplomacy with everybody, but will send my orders two days prior to the deadline to a random player... Every player will recieve my orders at least once...

If this is too odious a plan for you, please post...

I will be playing to win, but will be handicapped by obvious reasons. Hopefully I will find another player during the course of the game...

If I recieve orders from someone, I will automatically write mine at that time and e-mail them to the random player... The time will tell...

Otherwise, I will be sending out tommorrow night...

SLightly off-topic now that you are all into discussing the game specifics, but have you ever played 'Machiaveilli' (I'm sure someone can correct that spelling...

Its basically the same principle as Diplomacy, where you write orders for all the fleets etc, but in my vague recollection, it has a commerce element (I think you collect taxes and use ducats to buy units), a small random element (whether you get the plague or famine etc - but NOT game destroying generally). The basic idea is to unify Italy. It also ships with some scenarios.

I actually found it 'better' than diplomacy. I saw a PC version a year or two back, but didn't buy it.

My blood is running with lust for diplomacy. Odd solution FF, but fine. Let's git started.

I always though Machiavelli was a little overdone. But Kingmaker!! Now there was a board-game masterpiece. The joy that came into a player's face when he captured an heir and had to choose between keeping them as a hostage, switching families or butchering them was schweet. Come to think of it, alot of the elements of Sid's games that I've wanted more of are in Kingmaker - more focus on people and historical figures, more politics (those Kingmaker parliaments were a hoot), and more goodies and abilities to assign (in Kingmaker, there were various govt titles to bargain for that offered certain benefits).

Jesus, this is a trip down memory lane. I was just reminded of this brilliant game called politburu, which three of us almost killed ourselves laughing at...

R.III

Top Bottom