1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Axeman Speculation

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Tyrvos, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

I stand corrected.
    Then there's nothing preventing Indian Musketman as a UU.

2. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

Well, I suppose to be fair, it does need to be mentioned that Minutemen / Colonial Militia did occasionally stand in formation on the open field, but they almost always did it in support of the regulars.

More generally Minutemen skirmished, so I don't think there's really any issue with any Indians having muskets/rifles. Heck, if they went with the Apache, I'd expect the UU to have a gun.

3. aluelkdf

aluelkdf Prince

Many Native Americans used guns. Maybe not in the 1600's, but definitely by the early 1800's firearms were their primary weapons.

4. MaximusK

MaximusK Warlord

The early Puritans in Mass. were slower to replace their muskets and adopt better technology (flint lock) than some of the tribes they fought against. Research King Philip's War.

Check out his musket . . . armed long before Geronimo.

5. SemperFi2382

SemperFi2382 Mitten Marauder

I was thinking about the comments about the Tomahawk being mainly considered a throwing weapon, and not used as a melee weapon, so therefore it had to be a ranged unit.

The Roman Legion, carried 2 throwing spears that they threw in battle, before engaging with swords. However, the game only shows them using swords. What if, these "Tomahawk Warriors" were melee, just the devs glazing over how they were actually used? Basically, make them look cool, but not necessarily acting 100% correctly.

Also, in regards to the screenshot consider the facing. Both the unit in question and the swordsman are facing the same way. Seems a bit odd don't you think? I mean, with that trade caravan so close, would think the barbarians would be walking towards them, or at the least facing the swordsman.

Only reason? To better show the unit off.

(Also, isn't that the default facing in the editor?)

6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Tomahawk as ranged unit is stupid. Yes, it can be thrown, but ranged units represent massed, directed fire, like something that can be done in volleys. That's not something you can do with tomahawks. It has to be a melee unit.

7. Avatan

Avatan Warlord

But wouldn't be cool if this were a range 1 unit with decent melee strength? Like a Stone Age machine gun!
    And it's not more of a suspension of disbelief than bowmen shooting over the English Channel, and would represent the skirmishing aspect.

8. fat_tonle

fat_tonle Prince

A double attack bonus maybe? To range +1 and then charge? Represent the kind of stealth and overwhelming force that was successful against conventional European musket lines?

9. iconocast

iconocast Prince

if annything they would/should be some kind of skirmisher and haveing the retreat ability similar to incan slingers

10. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

I hope that this unit is brought up tomorrow on the Livestream.

For that matter, some sort of question to clear up the nature of this unit would be good if Ed doesn't bring it up himself.

I think I'll ask about this. Do we post the questions on the Facebook event, or on the twitchtv channel, or what?

11. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Probably to the Twitch TV live chat.

12. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to re-invent Civ4's "first strike" at least as an UU's special ability. This could work for an tomahawk-throwing unit quite well.

13. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

Granted that the unit is using a tomahawk (which I personally think it is, based off of the unit icon), I sincerely hope that it doesn't throw the tomahawk.

Sure, a tomahawk can be thrown effectively compared to a sword, but it is better employed if it remains in the hand of the user.

14. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

Of course they have a second one in their belt and they'll keep this one firmly! ;)

15. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

The FB event suggests you can post questions to it.

16. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

Yeah, I think that's where questions were meant to be posted, but I can't be certain.

17. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

It's effectiveness in how it is employed depends entirely upon the circumstances. I imagine a volley of tomahawks could have an even greater effect at shattering lines than a volley of arrows. Hypothetically.

Besides, if they wanted to design a general unit for melee use, why would they use a renowned throwing axe over simply an axe man? I believe this is a unique unit, of in determined type, but if its a general unit it's almost certainly ranged, and probably will be as a unique too.

18. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

I mean, unless they can (and do) turn it off, there will be live text-chat with the twitch.tv stream, but I have no idea if Dennis or anyone will be reading it to pull questions from there.

19. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

I have a feeling at least a few people will be reading it, given that you can't turn it off. People on the live stream will be reacting, so it ouldn't make sense to ignore it. OFc, this is 2K, so anything is possible.

It does seem like they wanted the Q's to be on facebook though, so they may focus on those ones, rather than ones in the chat.

20. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

On the PAX livestreams, when I was helping out moderating, it didn't seem that anyone at the other end was looking at the chat. drcane was, but by the sound of it not from PAX itself.