AZ-07: A Tale of Not That Many Cities

Turn 58:
- The warrior on the gems suicide kills the chariot on the wheat.
- I swap the elephant with the other warrior and fire on the warrior in the north. Mumbai takes the same target.
- The warrior attacks a chariot on the hills.

Turn 59:

- Our elephant kills the warrior.
- Mumbai fails to kill the red chariot.
- I heal our warrior and attack the other chariot.

Turn 60:
- I have to retreat the elephant.
Somehow i miss the screenshot for this turn, i think i paused our warrior and killed the chariot with Mumbai.

Turn 61:

- The archer fired on the chariot.
- Our warrior surprisingly kills the warrior on the hills
- I move out elephant back in to fire on the chariot.

Turn 62:

- Mumabi kills the chariot.
- Elephant heals and fires on the warrior.

First of all let me apologize for playing 2 extra turns, but i didn't want to turn the game over in the middle of a major engagement. While that fight went surprisingly well we're faced with the problem that Mumbai will most likely fall. The only thing i can think of is to move that almost dead warrior to the east of the city hoping that Hiaw-hatschi will take the bate.

Attachments

• AZ-07 Turn 62.Civ5Save
    607.5 KB · Views: 223
Yeah this doesn't look great. If you can, try to hold Mumbai. If not then I guess we'll have to retreat to Delhi and make a miraculous comeback. If I had known Mumbai would have caused a DoW from Hiawatha I would have never settled there. I guess I kinda didn't give Immortal the respect it deserves

In the end the big bad guy - at least the first - was not Alex.

Finish your turnset Habanerius and we'll see where we headed.

The :hammer: has spoken, to say the least.

Yeah, I kinda missed your previous post.

Will play my turnset tomorrow afterwork as it's well passed bedtime here.

I fear holding Mumbai will be very hard.
Well, we'll see.

I fear holding Mumbai has come down to luck. Either the city survives the attack from that warrior or it doesn't. I'd move our warrior to the E of the city, maybe the AI is stupid enough to kill the warrior instead.

But even if Mumbai falls, i think i destroyed almost his entire military. Delhi will finish a new warrior next turn, so we should be able to recapture Mumbai soon. Maybe even capture GrandRiver and get access to the gold. Capturing one or two worker would be nice too, we're a little behind in tile improvements and in need of a connected luxury.

If Mumbai should remain uncaptured: There is a half finished monument.

There is an unfinished mine at Delhi btw, i build that when the other side of the river was insecure due to barbarian activity. I'd suggest we build a horseman at Delhi to bolster out forces.

A quick look tells me the situation is quite straightforward: we're doomed /o\
Anyhow, we have nothing to lose (well, except two more cities) so let's get started !
(played it before going to work, was a bit hectic yesterday evening: 2 kids - 1 new born included - is sometimes epic)

--- T62 ---

Siam decides to ally with Genoa while I try to lure the damaged warrior into attacking us on open terrain. Without luck as Mumbai is about to be captured. Who did lend them brains?

Hanoi (N of Delhi) wants barbs removed from their vicinity. Sorry pal but it's kinda money time here in the south. Almost a remake of Alamo.

To make things even weirder, Ramsey call in and ask for our pouch. As if he was not rich enough with all the gold on his scepter (to say the least). Don't you know what a flea market is for mate?

--- T63 ---

Alex declares on Hiawatha. He never misses an occasion to have fun. Mumbai falls into the hands of the Iroquois nation. I'm sad even if I don't know why. Perhaps seeing the diamonds going away. Some say they are forever. Don't trust them.
I cowardly retreat the warriors in the woods (hoping Iron Working will drop in and save the day soon enough) while archers and stompers are target practicing (for XP) on a chariot and on the walls of their former city, respectively.

Our new warriors want to join their friends and experience the thrill of the battle. They'll have to learn how to force march first!

Delhi starts training horsemen but our cities are growing very slowly due to :(. The cavalry in Vijayanagra is taking way long time to complete. Perhaps switching to something else is worthwile.

--- T64 ---

The colossus has been errected in a far away land. Who cares?
Mumbai fires on our archers and encamped warriors slap them. They got a promotion but I choose to retreat cowardly (and keeping the promotion ready) into the woods as I obviously won't be able to hold ground before the second unit of warriors arrive. Saving forces for a hypothetical counter attack.

--- T66 ---

I move our warriors 2 next to our elephants to reveal lots of Alex units south (2 warriors, 1 pikemen and 1 archer).

- insert missing screenshot here (upload issue this morning) -

I stop here to ask for your opinion as I have a bad feeling about this.
Iron Working is kicking in something like 17 turns (T84 if I'm correct). Horsemen in Delhi arrive at T73. The other horsemen in Vija in 22 turns.
Worker is finishing a mine in Delhi.
Our empire is still very unhappy (even if it's only 1 :() and that's limiting our growth and production drastically.

Shall we wait for Hiawatha to come and try to hold the line in front of Vijayanagara and counterattacking when Iron Working is discovered (which btw will not happen during my turnset) ?
Any other suggestion ?

Does he have military at Mumbai? Isn't our elephant and warrior enough to retake the city? Otherwise wait for the horseman and possible ironworking, but i don't think he has much left. And with Alexander on the move we need to secure our rightful piece of Hiaw-hatchi.

The last military we saw were a warrior unit (I guess it's the same you can see below) & a chariot (quite damaged).

And as I'm home now here is the missing screenshot of the south front line.

Alex is aggressive as always and the area is becoming packed in cities and units.
Perhaps I'm going to have a look to the city below (if Alex let me go though).

I'd leave the city below to Alexander (for now). With any luck the warrior on the hills will get killed attacking Alexander next turn, leaving Mumbai defenseless against us. Two shots from the elephant and an attack from the warrior should capture the city. Then try to capture workers and Grand River.

Turnset done until T83.
Mumbai is ours again \o/.
But Alex has found Argos just next to Delhi.

Will post the full report and screenshots in a few minutes.

--- T66 ---

Let's crack the glass and see what's hiding behind Mumbai walls. The 'phant is acting as a scout.
Spoiler :

Well, two warriors. For now. Pow pow!

--- T67 ----

A barb camp errups south of Hanoi.
And Ramkham the red DoW Harun.
Spoiler :

So let's attack Mumbai.
Spoiler :

Not this time :L. But I'm sure it will be us again (false suspense).

--- T68 ---

Hiawhatever call in and asks for mercy.
Spoiler :

Hey, you started it pal. You know: with great power...
I captured his ressources, for the record :roll:.
The farm on the cattle (was wrong, it was not a mine >_<) is finished in Delhi and a chariot joins the party in Mumbai.
Spoiler :

But it's not enough and Mumbai is ours again <o/.

--- T69 ---

Mumbai, please get rid of this warriors.
Spoiler :

They tried without success but our archers come in to save the day (hopefully).
Spoiler :

(see the settler in Sparta on the far right of the screen: he'll annoy us big time).

--- T70 ---

Another Iroquois chariot comes in but I have faith in our warriors (insta heal ftw!).
Spoiler :

Kuala Lumpur asks for help. Yeah.
Spoiler :

Starting a spearman in Mumbai to counter the most probable soon horses in this war.
Spoiler :

--- T71 ---

Hey, some spearmen wants to visit our new conquered city. But no one told them we have good catapults built in.
Spoiler :

--- T72 ---

One chariot down, the other is retreating toward Grand River.
Situation clear - or soon to be - around Mumbai.
Spoiler :

Harun calls in and wants a pact of secrecy against big bag Ramkham.
Spoiler :

Even if I politely decline he makes a sad face.
Spoiler :

We kill last the chariot with our pointy arrows. The spearmen are right after them on the list. Still they healing right next to us :?:.
Spoiler :

--- T73 ---

The horsement are finally complete in Delhi. But see, here is the Greek settler.
Spoiler :

I block the passage to save us some time.
Spoiler :

Meanwhile the spears are no more on the front. Mumbai is clean and quiet now.
Spoiler :

On an unrelated note, Pyramids were built somewhere.

--- T74 ---

Ramses & Alex are entering the medieval era. We should get ready for more blood.
The settle and their bodyguard move around Vija. I don't know what they're aiming but I don't like it at all.
Spoiler :

--- T75 ---

A chariot comes in (sorry no capture of it) and one of our warriors one shot it (thanks the +15% and a good roll I guess). He jump on the occastion to scout the forces in Grand River, as he feel ok on the hills, even if it's in shooting distance of Grand River. It was a calculated risk but he nonetheless takes 3 volleys. Damn, there was someone sneaking experience sharpshooters around! Say hello to Indra for me will you?
Spoiler :

--- T76 ---

While I move our horsemen to the front, Alex doesn't hesitate and send his settler in the breach. Retrospectivelly, I should have bought the tile when the horses were on. Noob me.
Some barbs coming in N of Delhi. The workers retreat inside the city for shelter.
Spoiler :

--- T77 ---

Barbs shooting time in Delhi.
Some Iroquois spears are coming up from the south.
Spoiler :

--- T78 ---

Chow Yun Fat calls us and asks for OB. I choose to politely say no. Enough trouble already.
Spoiler :

No more barbs in Delhi. Workers move in place to build the mine. Argos is founded 4 (!) tiles W from Delhi. We will have the explanation soon enough.
On the front I'm moving in to prepare the attack on Grand River. But they have walls there now :/.

--- T79 ---

Here is the reason of our warriors death a few turns back:
Spoiler :

I retreat on the hill to lure the Iroquois out.

--- T80 ---

It worked!
Spoiler :

As a direct result, a GG joins us. In Vijayanagara. Please help us on the south front!

--- T81 ---

Genoa want Cape Town razed.
Ramkham Yun Fat wants us to join his crusade against Ramses. Good luck !
Spoiler :

Two spearmen appear from the fog south of Viya. I feel lucky to have move the GG on the front line.
Archers move in the woods to save the day. Once more.
Spoiler :

--- T82 ---

Archers kill one of the spearmen with the help of the city. The other retreats.
Still trying to break Grand River walls. Without success.

--- T83 ---

Iroquois archers and spearmen show up in the battle and our spearmen is finished in Mumbai.
Spoiler :

I'm quite sure I botched a few things so I'll end this turnset before I do some more damage (and it was almost strictly 20 turns btw ;o).
I've started a granary in Delhi as I felt we need to grow fast.
Horsemen still in formation in Vija (didn't touch it).
Open production in Mumbai.

Iron Working was just discovered and we know why Alex was so interested in settling another city.
Too bad we don't have one (well except if Grand River is joining our nation).

I hope the situation is ok. If not I'm full ears for comments and critics.

Turn 83 is fully unplayed as I just took screenshots.

azaris > next
TegasTiger > on deck
Habanerius
jammerjun > just played

Attachments

• AZ-07 Turn 83.Civ5Save
    648.7 KB · Views: 215
We should sell open border to rama-whatever for 50:commerce: .
Are there hammers in that granary? I'd rather have more workers, we need to connect out luxury resources so we can keep expanding / growing.

The good news: we have 5 cities.

The bad new: we're at war with Alex.

My first task was to shore up our defenses against Hiawatha. So the two other cities started building warriors. They upgrade to swords, which is my plan. Then I sent the jumbo and horse to capture Grand River. Research set to Calendar, we have to get those luxuries connected. The worker near Delhi will chop a forest so that the warrior comes out faster.

Turn 84: A barb spear appears on our horses. :mad: Luckily he doesn't pillage it, but instead wanders off to pillage the other pasture.

Turn 86: Iroquois spears pushing at Mumbai but getting beat back. I decide to instaheal the jumbo so that he can deliver a full salvo at Grand River. I deem this the correct move as the horseman captures the city, which we puppet for it has iron. Hiawatha still wants stuff to make peace.

Turn 87: I buy a spear in Mumbai.

Turn 88: ALEXANDER DECLARES WAR! :run:

Because we cannot fight a double war, I give the Iroquois what they want. It's a fair trade for iron plus a city. I also remember to make peace with his two city state allies before they capture the undefended Grand River.

Alex has two swords and at least one hoplite converging on Delhi.

Turn 89: Vijayanagara falls to the Greeks, but it is strictly temporary. I am more worried about Delhi, where there is a lone warrior in defense. I sacrifice the warrior to kill one sword, but there is still a hoplite that can and will take the city unless a miracle occurs.

Turn 90: The hoplite threatening Delhi turns away. A :smoke: from Alex there. My armies are rushing north from the Iroquois front to rescue the capital. The defense of Vijayanagara are bombarded

Turn 92: Calendar -> Trapping. Vijayanagara recaptured, Alex -1 hoplite.

Turn 93: While Alex dithers with his hoplites, a strike force of spear + jumbo + horse is sent to Sparta, where only a lone GG stands in defense. One hoplite near Delhi is attacked with a horse, but unfortunately it is not decisive.

Turn 94: Iron is connected. Alex instaheals the hoplite and kills our horse.

Turn 95: The hoplite in turn is killed by a spear. Now Alex has just two hoplites left that I can see, plus one archer.

Turn 96: Sparta is taken. I spend the money plundered to upgrade our warrior in Delhi, and we have our first sword.

Turn 98: Trapping -> Writing. Another hoplite falls.

Turn 99: The last hoplite goes down and so does the city of Argos. It is razed to the ground

All in all, it wasn't a total disaster. We gained two cities, iron, have a small but well-balanced army, and have beaten away two dangerous enemies. We also have a spare policy and can make peace with Alex for a bunch of stuff if we want to.

TexasTiger UP for 15.

I have a a look around. We control 5 cities and are not doing to good on the happiness scale (-11). But we will connect gems in next turn. Demographics aren't too good, strangely we are 3rd in land. I'm a bit worried about Rama-whatever, he seems to be the top player. I make 120Gold by selling open borders to Wu, Harun and Ramesses.

T101: Alexander asks for peace offering something similar to what azaris posted. I tell him the price for peace is Corinth, he refuses.

T103: We finish writing, I select archery.

T104: I disperse the barbarian camp north of Delhi to secure our horses. Hanoi likes this, we are now friendly.

T106: We discover archery, i select math. I connect the sugar, we're ok happiness wise now.

T107: Alexander founds Argos NE of Corinth. I kill a Hoplite between Corinth and Argos and start moving.

T109:

T110: I capture Corinth.

T111: Alexander asks for peace again, he offers Argos. Me: You're doomed!
I'm also building a road between Delhi and Corinth, our large military is costing us a lot of expenses, we're in the red.

T113: We gain a great general and an archer from Hanoi. I capture Athens.

T115: We discover math, I select Masonry but feel free to change that. Connecting a trade route to Corinth, Athens and Sparta takes us back into positive income. Some Iroquois spearman have shown up near Mumbai, maybe he wants seconds? I sell him our spices for 100 gold and 5 gold per turn to discourage him from war. We will connect 2 new spices next turn, be sure to sell the additional one to some AI.

I also captured 4 (i think) workers from Alexander so we can finally start to work our land. Our demographics have also increased, we went from 8th in manufactured goods to second :eek:

The next player should also manually assign Mumbai to work the wheat so the city starts growing. I already improved it, but didn't want to switch from the gems while we where in the red. We can also adopt a policy.

Attachments

• AZ-07_Turn_115.Civ5Save
    691.8 KB · Views: 226
Top Bottom