Aztec language barely reconstructed

I agree that there are languages they can't make, because they have no living speakers. In the expansions, for example, imagine trying to reconstruct punic for carthage or celtic for the celts

Anyone notice that we have Augustus Caesar, supposedly speaking latin?
A language which no one knows how to speak correctly.

Maybe Mel Gibson should take over development.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. It wouldn't add much to the game to have 100% perfect, authentic langauge elements.

A lot of people know how to speak Latin correctly. Just because no one speaks it from birth doesn't mean we don't know how to speak it. In fact, there has never been a time (since Latin existed) when people *didn't* speak it.

From the official site you could hear what Montezuma calls himself something like "Imperorin" - clearly a european-based word. I understand what modern nahuatl has a lot of European adoptions, but I'd prefer to hear more native even if less precise words.
How do you know that is European based? It sounds like you are simply guessing. If you study foreign languages you will find that there are a good number of faux amis.

Perhaps it is European based, but if the Aztecs integrated it into their own speech after coming into contact with Europeans, then it is still a legitimate word to use in this reproduction.

I can understand that for the average American gamer accuracy in foreign languages is not so important - as long as you do not yourself understand that language. Just imagine if George Washington spoke kids' slang of the Bronx or sounded like PuffDaddy. So I can relate to someone who says - hey, I can understand this language and it just doesn't seem right. But overall I agree - it's only minor issue.
Puff Daddy speaks fine.

One thing I want to see is a leader from Africa, one of thier tougne clicking languages, or indeed any civlisation with interesting speech paterns like that. Can anyone tell me if any of the Civilisations will speek like that? IF NOT WHY NOT!
Because there aren't very many of them. Very few people in Africa speak with clicks, and none of those cultures are represented in Civ. Ethiopia and Mali don't use it. The click languages are almost completely confined to southern Africa.

How do you know that is European based? It sounds like you are simply guessing. If you study foreign languages you will find that there are a good number of faux amis.

The closest Nahuatl term is Uey Tlatoani, but it means something more like President than emperor (elected by the nobles, literally translates as "Revered Speaker").

Exactly Huey Tlatoani would have worked just as well. The thing with nahuatl its that its not a dead language, its still spoken today, tho, not the same way like it was 500 years ago, it has a lot of modern words in it, many coming from Spanish. Not so diferent to any other language out there.

The thing that bugs me the most TBH, is the HORRIBLE accent they gave Moctezuma

As long as it sounds foreign, eh? *sigh facepalm slash wrist*

The closest Nahuatl term is Uey Tlatoani, but it means something more like President than emperor (elected by the nobles, literally translates as "Revered Speaker").

That works. Montezuma was not an Emperor, he was a Tlatoani.

Why the hell would they want to reconstruct etruscan?

Heh... It's one of few languages of which we don't even know the full alphabet, let alone pronounciation of words. It was just an example :rolleyes:

sort of like English? Yep, agreed!

I agree that there are languages they can't make, because they have no living speakers. In the expansions, for example, imagine trying to reconstruct punic for carthage or celtic for the celts

Celtic isn't dead-dead. Sure, the original Gaulish version died out (And the Celts in Civ usually represents Gaul), but the Irish, Welsh, and Scot languages live on, some more than others.

The thing that bugs me the most TBH, is the HORRIBLE accent they gave Moctezuma

Yeah, he sounds like Ganon from the Zelda CD-i games, only with a higher pitched voice.

Top Bottom