Bad Ronald's Custom Colors and Flags

parachute4u said:
The point is: They tried to be something different than Germany. But they failed. That is the difference to any group of people promoting any kind of ideas and succeeding, thus forming a line of tradition, that is called a civilization in a cultural-historical context.
They did have an impact, however. People were forced to say no to many of their ideas. Had they only had ideas, that are implemented in today's laws and constitutions, they would not have lost (or fought) that war.

PS There is no deed that is evil. And if you choose to call it evil, how can it be pale? - How can death be pale? How can agony be pale?

Yes, your points are well made. Only the chance of history discriminates between "civilization" and cultural/politival movement.

I do think it is possible to consider "degree of evil' as a matter of scale, at least, and possibly the amount to which any action could be seen to have beneficial effects as well. Ie, killing 100 people could be called "more evil" than killing 10, assuming all other aspects of the situation equal. Or, for example, killing someone to save someone else or prevent some disaster, vs killing someone for personal gain or no reason.

But I agree 100%. Good and evil are very subjective things. If more people bore that in mind in historical discussions, and stuck to what happened, rather than making value judgements about those events, there would be a lot more productive and educational history discussions going on in the world.

bad_ronald said:
Well, I like the modern Greek flag, but if you post a suggestion for a specific Greek flag from an earlier period I may add it as an option in the expansion pack.

I hope the upload worked an the flags appear an proper order.
The first one is the Greek Macedonia flag.
the second is the Greek byzantine flag

Attachments

• FLAG 1.gif
    FLAG 1.gif
    13.4 KB · Views: 123
  • byzantine.gif
    byzantine.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 114
@Renobe,

Thanks for links, the Macedonian Greek flag seems like a good option to include in a new expansion pack, if it's from the time of Alexander.

Just out of curiosity, have you any plans as yet to make a hanging flag version of the mod? :)

Also, will you be updating the mod for version 1.61? They renamed Mao, so it comes up with an error message when you load it.

I love the mod, by the way. Having thought about how to change the colours of a civilization for a long time it was a great relief to find, hey, someone's done it for me. :D

Appers said:
Also, will you be updating the mod for version 1.61? They renamed Mao, so it comes up with an error message when you load it.

That's probably due to an error with old mods. I have done a clean re-install and patched to 1.61 and Mao and Communism are still in the game, same as before.

The mod is causing an error for me too, after a clean reinstall with 1.61 (which worked fine before the mod). Says this:

Tag: LEADER_MAO_ZEDONG in Info class was incorrect
Current XML file is: Civilizations/CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml

Tag: BUILDINGCLASS_FORBIDDEN_PALACE in Info class was incorrect

Tag: BUILDINGCLASS_THREEGORGESDAM in Info class was incorrect

then starts normally, without using the modified flags.

Thrar said:
The mod is causing an error for me too, after a clean reinstall with 1.61 (which worked fine before the mod). Says this:

Tag: LEADER_MAO_ZEDONG in Info class was incorrect

Tag: BUILDINGCLASS_FORBIDDEN_PALACE in Info class was incorrect

Tag: BUILDINGCLASS_THREEGORGESDAM in Info class was incorrect

then starts normally, without using the modified flags.

I was getting the same thing, so I edited the part in Bad_ronald's xml that referenced those tags to look like the default file, no more errors and the flags load fine.

The new161 xml file has practically no Buildings or units listed in that particular file and MAO was changed to CHINESE_LEADER. It was a simple edit.

Here is my modified CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml, which works now.
However, I expected this to work with Lock Modified Assets (as required for HoF), since it's just a graphical thing, but it doesn't.
Maybe there are other differences in the XML file compared to 1.61?
If someone gets it to work, please post!

Attachments

• CIV4CivilizationInfos.zip
    8.6 KB · Views: 162
greenhead101 said:
Excellent mod, thanks Ronald.

I think your idea for a British mod has some merit, you should try it out. Personally, (being a Scotsman) i felt insulted that you could only play the "English" empire, this is unfair as Scots (& Irish & Welsh) have played a massive part of the developement of the British empire. Although its nice to play the modded Scottish, Welsh & Irish i find it hard to swallow when im dominating the world.

& the redcoats look cool with the union jack..

Would also be good to see a Russian Soviet flag & Nazi Flag, everybody knows the connotations but we are all adults right :/

I (as an Englishman) would also like to play as Britain, though I like the idea of playing as England and then having a "permenant alliance" with Scotland which is largely what happened (and getting together and battering the Celts perhaps??? No offence intended to any Welse or Irish on here). Weren't the first Redcoat Regiment the Scots Guards?

Oh, and the flag of the UK is the Union Flag, the Union Jack is the flag of the Royal Navy, but that's just being pedantic.

I'm not certain, but didn't Germany keep their flag through the NAZI era, and fly the swastika alongside it? Create Adolf as an additional leader for Germany if you want to go all the way. The likes of Genghis Khan and Julius Caesar had just as bad human rights records, but I think the fact the Hitler was within living memory possibly makes it a little sensitive.

Tae said:
I was getting the same thing, so I edited the part in Bad_ronald's xml that referenced those tags to look like the default file, no more errors and the flags load fine.

The new161 xml file has practically no Buildings or units listed in that particular file and MAO was changed to CHINESE_LEADER. It was a simple edit.
This fixed it for me as well. As Tae said, Mao is named CHINESE_LEADER in the 1.61 file. Three Gorges Dam is GREAT_DAM, I believe, and the Forbidden Palace is GREAT_PALACE. On those last two, the "_" may or may not be there, but if you look in the file at the appropriate places, you can find them pretty easily.

And although I have been using these colors and flags for a while, I will say great job now. :thumbsup:

Great work, I've used some of these in my own mod. Took me bloody ages to get it to work until I finally realised my mistake, I'd spelled Colour correctly instead of the American way in the XML file!

Spearhavoc said:
In 1603 Elizabeth I died without direct heirs. Her cousin James VI (not VII) ascended the throne of England to become James I.

The two countries remained separate until the the Act of Union (1707) during the reign of Queen Anne. It was at this point that the Union FLAG, combining the saltire of St. Andrew and the cross of St. George , was devised.

Only when flown on sea-going vessels are flags referred to as "jacks".

The red and white saltire of St. Patrick was added to the Union FLAG in 1801 due to the 1801 Act of Union that united the United Kindom of Great Britain with Ireland. At this point the country became known as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

This remained in place until 1921 when after years of treasonable revolution (included the utterly vile and despicable Easter Rising of 1916) 26 of the 32 counties of Ireland were permitted to withdraw from the Union. These 26 counties became known as the Irish Free State. The six remaining loyal counties became, and still are, known as Northern Ireland. The country was renamed to "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". This is the name that remains today; it is the longest official country name in the world. The form of the Union FLAG did not change, and remains as it was modified in 1801.

As a side note: the 6 counties of Northern Ireland are sometimes, erroneously, referred to as "Ulster". Ulster is one of the four ancient kingdoms of Ireland (the others being Munster, Leinster and Connaught) and it comprises 9 of the 32 counties (Antrim, Down, Tyrone, Fermanagh, Londonderry, Armagh, Donegal, Monaghan, Cavan). The first six in the list comprise Northern Ireland, the last three are part of what is now known as the "Republic of Ireland".

Clear as crystal?

What he said.

I think it's interesting that the cross of Saint Patrick remians in the Union Flag, since Northern Ireland took as it's flag the Cross Of St George, with the addition of the "Red Hand" of Ulster:

thus the Cross Of St Patrick is still represented, even though none of the nations that make up the United Kingdom fly it as their flag. Whereas the Cross Of St David (patron saint of Wales), a vertical-horizontal gold cross on a black background, is not represented. On the other hand St Patric IS Enlgish, which is more than can be said for St George, who never went to England and quite pissibly didn't even know where England was.

Great Union Flag by the way, taking the top as the flag pole, it's even the right way up! (The Union Flag should only ever be flow upside down as a sign of emergency)

Thrar said:
Here is my modified CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml, which works now.
However, I expected this to work with Lock Modified Assets (as required for HoF), since it's just a graphical thing, but it doesn't.
Maybe there are other differences in the XML file compared to 1.61?
If someone gets it to work, please post!

There are changes to Leader stats for a couple of things, but nothing major.

- in ArtDefinesLeader XML, change MAO_ZEDONG to CHINESE_LEADER
- in CivInfosLeaders XML, change MAO_ZEDONG to CHINESE_LEADER
- in CivInfosCivilizations XML, change MAO_ZEDONG to CHINESE_LEADER
- in CivInfosCivilizations XML, change _THREEGORGESDAM to _GREAT_DAM
- in CivInfosCivilizations XML, change _FORBIDDEN_PALACE to _GREAT_PALACE
- in UnitsInfo XML, change TECH_COMMUNISM to TECH_UTOPIA

Wyz_sub10 said:
There are changes to Leader stats for a couple of things, but nothing major.

- in ArtDefinesLeader XML, change MAO_ZEDONG to CHINESE_LEADER
- in CivInfosLeaders XML, change MAO_ZEDONG to CHINESE_LEADER
- in CivInfosCivilizations XML, change MAO_ZEDONG to CHINESE_LEADER
- in CivInfosCivilizations XML, change _THREEGORGESDAM to _GREAT_DAM
- in CivInfosCivilizations XML, change _FORBIDDEN_PALACE to _GREAT_PALACE
- in UnitsInfo XML, change TECH_COMMUNISM to TECH_UTOPIA
Ok, that just confused the heck out of me :confused:.

Great mod ronald. Only one question, is there any way to change Germany to a darker grey? As in me go in and change it, not referring to changing your mod on here.

EDIT: Also to add, I think it would be nice to see a "New England" flag for Aemerica with the 13 stars. I think this flag would fit the playstyle of the game better as it would be hard to make 50 cities. (states) :p

EDIT#2: I currently reinstalled the game because this mod jerked Mao out and it seems the only solution is changing him to CHINESE_LEADER which I don't want to do. I went in today and assigned new border colors to alot of the civs and found a system I like with them. The problem is, now they are all white like others have listed. Has anyone found a solution to the all white flag problem? I found a post reffering to editing in a black alpha using DXTBmp. I tried that and it didnt work. Could anyone explain how the alpha is effecting this or offer a solution to the all white flags?

The only other mod I run is blue marble. Also, I am pretty sure that the flags showing up will not be bothered if I use my own CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml, CIV4PlayerColorInfos.xml, and CIV4ColorVals.xml files. Am I right in assuming this?

EDIT#3: My fix:I found a fix for mine it may help other as well. I have attached a blank flag template with an alpha channel that worked for me. Just use DXTBmp to open the blank template provided by Amra in a similar problem thread. Then open the flag you wish to use of ronald's and click to edit the actual flag in MSPAINT or whatever program you use. Then copy the flag pattern and paste it into the blank flag template. Voila. I hope this helps anyone with white flags. :goodjob: Thanks Amra.

Attachments

• Amra_Flag_Help.zip
    206.7 KB · Views: 112
hi guys, I run patch v.1.61 and I can't find a way to apply this mod! I've checked and seen that Mao's name is Chinese leader and all, but still no luck..I keep on getting error messages about incorrect xml tags etc..Can anyone provide a full working pack for v.1.61? I don't think it's too hard...I would have done it myself if only i was certain what to mess :lol: Please take care of it.. Thanks

Top Bottom