Badgering Modders/Forum Rules

Do you think Badgering is wrong?

• Yes, and they should be warned/punished/hanged/_____...

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Yes, but its not the moderators' job to police against it.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Yes, Wisconsinites should be stopped at all costs!

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • No, its not that big of a deal...

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No, I [B]LIKE[/B] Badgering, do it everyday!

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

nowisforever

Chieftain
I'm not sure that there's a forum rule to cover it, but a perennial thorn in my side has finally gotten to be too much to take silently. I'm speaking of Badgers. No, not the University of Wisconsin teams... I'm talking about members of the Civ community who pester modders and modding teams about when they're going to get their work done.

Mind you, I'm not opposed to goals and even self-set deadlines, but when players of a game become so demanding of mod-makers as to forget that it is only a game—albeit an amazingly good one—and that mod-makers have other priorities in life than meeting the demands of self-centered, badgering, impatient, and otherwise inconsiderate persons... When this happens not once, but repeatedly and on a daily basis, offending members cause harm to the community. Not only do they initiate delays by requiring constant (and even repetitive) explanations by the developers, they also can discourage and even embitter said persons by their actions. Worse yet, the instinctive reactions to their nagging posts are overly negative and affect every one of us in some way.

Everyone gets a little impatient from time to time, especially with larger, more tantalizing projects like RaR or Teturkhan's incredibly detailed world history mod. Its important to remember and appreciate the amount of effort that goes into these creations. When a Badger impatiently asks, "Is it done yet?" its really a slap in the face to the modders and their gifts to the community.

With that in mind, I'm politely asking for an official recognition of Badgering as unacceptable Forum behavior. I would suggest that first and second offenses result in warnings and posts being removed, but with heavier consequences for repeat offenders.

After all, if the modder knows when his mod should be done, won't he tell us? Shouldn't we respect her enough to set her own timetable?

Without badgers I would never finish....

...please, badger me!

And give it a rah! rah! rah! shish! boom! bah!

Really, I only know of one person on these forums who may take real offense to badgering... and that person is a self admitted rude S.O.B. :)

What do you have against us Wisconsinites!?! :mad:

Wisconsinites are people too!!!
Power to the Cheeseheads!!!
WISCONSIN REVOLT
:rockon:

First: I think the work modders do is great, and since it is so far beyond my meager skills, I'm just happy when something pops up I like. :)

Second: I don't think there is any reason to constantly harass the modders, or anyone else for that matter. But my question would be: is this mainly done in the threads, or is it done in the form of PM's? PM's are hard to police, the threads are a bit more obvious.

But you would have to set some sort of hard and fast rules defining harassment, and I would think it would vary too much from one guy to the next.

I don't think what you want is realistic, though if there is a certain user or two going overboard, maybe a mod could be convinced to send them a quiet PM or something.....:mischief:

They should be banned. :lol:

I didn't agree 100% with any of the poll options, although I voted for the 2nd one.

IMO you shouldn't get banned for asking when a creation (ANY creation) will be done, I think it shows that people are interested in the creation and that your work will not go unnapreciated when it's complete.
However if someone is being too impatient about it and becoming mad at the creator for not going fast enough, then there should be a warning/ban to that member, but that's already covered in the forum rules so there's really no need to change anything. :)

To some extent, I think it is fine when people ask "When is this going to be done?" Or say "Please hurry up a little because I really want to play your mod." Those are fine, but as everything in excess does, there is a line that is crossed at some point. The easiest solution is probably to ask a mod if you get irritated with someone or a group of people, and I'm sure they would be happy to deal with the problem. Or you could ask them to stop yourself.

do we mean "badgering" in the sense that wild, angry badgers (possibly after being poked with a pointy stick) are set onto some poor, unsuspecting modder? if so, i approve of this practice wholeheartedly.

While setting some of the larger members of Rodentia upon unsuspecting computer geeks (myself included) would most certainly lead to some hilarious antics, I just couldn't find enough of them for it to work. As I've discovered, they bite.

...hang on a second, one of them just broke loose...

Everyone needs a little push sometimes, but I can see it can be annoying if it's exessive. People really should have more patience, because making a good mod requires lots of time and effort.

I talk to Teturkhan once in a while and know he spends hours everyday on his scenarios (yes, he's working on more than just Test of Time... all great stuff :)).

Feel free to report the post or PM me if you see someone badgering too much and I'll be happy to give a nice little warning. :)

I know I'm probably the most vocal in biting the heads off of those that bother me ("Hmm, I wonder why my threads don't have more of a variety of poeple posting?") but sometimes it can be taken pretty far.

Not a month ago I was constantly being first annoyed, then pestered, then threatened by a fanboy. It happens. How can those be treated? How about a nice big fat label to be put over their rank which they themselves cannot remove.

Thunderfall said:
Feel free to report the post or PM me if you see someone badgering too much and I'll be happy to give a nice little warning. :)
As always, if there's a post that offends you, report it. Of course, this would go to people pestering you about completing a mod. Especially after you've already explained why it's taking so long.

heh. how do you people think I have gotten as many Roman units as thier done? ;)

couldnt have done it without a little badgering (of course, now that i have stopped badgering, it slikelyl the last two or three units needed to utterlly complete the Roman line will never be done...)

Wyrmshadow said:
I know I'm probably the most vocal in biting the heads off of those that bother me ("Hmm, I wonder why my threads don't have more of a variety of poeple posting?") but sometimes it can be taken pretty far.

Not a month ago I was constantly being first annoyed, then pestered, then threatened by a fanboy. It happens. How can those be treated? How about a nice big fat label to be put over their rank which they themselves cannot remove.

I somehow doubt thats gonna happen. :lol:

Top Bottom