Banned Exploits - Question & Answers

Risk huh? Have you ever played an Emperor or higher game and successfully maintained peace the entire time? Prince or higher? Have you ever played a game where the AI never declares war on you or bombs you with missionaries/prophets? Other than Settler, of course! :mischief:

Polynesia on Terra excluded, as CV/SV on that map is contact-free.

Your reply is off topic: The anti-exploit rules only kick in when you declare war, not when the AI declares war on you.

Are you trying to troll or are the rules too unclear?

There is a distinct difference between the HOF and the GOTM for Civ 5. To be competitive in the GOTM, a player needs to exploit the mechanic to steal AI gold to the fullest since other players also use it. In the HOF, it is necessary to reroll the starting location several times for a competitive finish since the fastest times will have a near legendary start with several desert hills, a mountain, and likely a source of marble to abuse the unbalanced nature of Petra.

Is either system perfect? Of course not. It is up to each player to decide how they want to compete according to their play style and perhaps their system performance.

Are you trying to troll or are the rules too unclear?

Troll? I've just been arguing a point that apparently means nothing in the face of elitists who are willing to reroll and find every nook and cranny in the exploit rules to abuse for the sake of getting the highest score on HoF. Because of said elitists, a contemporary player, one who plays for fun and had their interests piqued in HoF like myself, have no hopes of even a dream of appearing on HoF tables, much less getting any sort of medal. When I discovered HoF on here, I thought "oh goody, I can compare myself to other like minded players." Then I realized it's hopeless unless I I'm willing to sit down and pick apart these rules for the sake of getting a couple points ahead of someone else.

I try to pick them apart and get blasted about exploits and gold and what is and isn't considered cheating. You want an answer to your question?

Am I trying to troll? No. Are the rules too unclear? Yes.

Am I trying to troll? No. Are the rules too unclear? Yes.

We are trying to fix it: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=493503
You are welcome to join the debate.

And yes you can get easy medals for HoF, just look at the list and pick out a game that you can easily beat.
Gauntlet medals are not easy, here you'll have to be a very good player. (sadly that involves a lot of rerolling atm)

Just to clarify, does a GPT/Resource trade count as 'broken' if the AI is the one who initiated the DoW? Even if you antagonize them(demands/denouncing/etc)? I would have asked in the more recent discussion thread, but that has kind of turned into personal attacks and such.

Also, if a resource trade is broken at say turn 80, when are you allowed to sell the resource again(at standard speed)? Turn 110 or 111?

Just to clarify, does a GPT/Resource trade count as 'broken' if the AI is the one who initiated the DoW? Even if you antagonize them(demands/denouncing/etc)? I would have asked in the more recent discussion thread, but that has kind of turned into personal attacks and such.

Also, if a resource trade is broken at say turn 80, when are you allowed to sell the resource again(at standard speed)? Turn 110 or 111?

The GPT/Resource only counts when you declare war. If an AI declares war, the rule doesn't apply.

You may resell the resource when the trade is broken if it doesn't brake any other rules.

Is trading gpt for gold and then DoWing for Domination Duel maps allowed? (we're talking 10-15 turn wins here)
I've never done such a tactic but I fear some records can't be broken without it, the difference between affording an extra Warrior or not in these conditions is huge.

Under the current rules it does not constitute 'repeatedly', but it still seems unfair.

Yes, you can.

In fact, you're even allowed to do it repeatedly on maps bigger than duel size. Provided you actually take the capital of the AI you've just stolen the money from. Do that, it counts as a 'proper war', and you can break as many deals as you want when launching those.

The prohibition is only about doing the same thing when launching a 'phony war', such as doing it to steal a worker, declaring on someone on the other side of the map just to take that lump sum gold, etc.

If you want to challenge fast domination times, stealing the AI's money with a fake deal before DOWing them is pretty much a necessity.

Is the "overflow inflation" mechanism banned as an exploit? If not... why not?

We were asked "not to do this" in the neighbouring thread, so - yes, it is banned. Until this gets fixed (if ever) the question remains how to not qualify for this exploit.

One example i have in mind: in few of my games i neglected sailing line for a very long time and then bulbed scientists to accelerate myself towards some late game military tech, like flight. While i was unaware of implications of such move, it is clear now i earned some (quite a few, actually) "unfair" beakers in the process.

What would be the limits, is my question. I mean, i can research myself up to optics (do i have to now?) and then, while bulbing for flight i AM going to get unfair beakers from popping astro and navigation, just because they have been researched by other AI players. On one hand, I can't see myself being forced to prioritise sailing line in a land based domination scenario, but it is cheating (buggy), on the other hand, as these techs will be researched by most deity AI on their way to cultural VC.

In short, to avoid confusion, i would like to read a HOF staff wording for limiting exploit in question.

In short, to avoid confusion, i would like to read a HOF staff wording for limiting exploit in question.

We'll work on one. But I think the gist at the moment is that deliberate use = banned, accidental use/minor benefit (e.g. because by the time you get around to researching a tech your default science is already more than enough to do it in one turn) = ok.

My personal view is that the game isn't worth playing until this gets fixed, and you can find me playing CK2, or the free copy of Fallout that GoG was giving away recently...

We were asked "not to do this" in the neighbouring thread, so - yes, it is banned. Until this gets fixed (if ever) the question remains how to not qualify for this exploit.

One example i have in mind: in few of my games i neglected sailing line for a very long time and then bulbed scientists to accelerate myself towards some late game military tech, like flight. While i was unaware of implications of such move, it is clear now i earned some (quite a few, actually) "unfair" beakers in the process.

Oh yeah, I've had a couple games where I seemed to get a whole handful of tech after a bulb and didn't really understand why, just was glad. And now I start to cry, because in general, I tend to switch my research to the most expensive tech I want because I have been worried the game cheats me out of some overflow. Now I know why I can't come close to a fast space game. I do not know whether to laugh or cry. :shake:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who ignores the Sailing line if my nation is landlocked. Until I need Astronomy, of course. My BPT is frequently past the cost of Sailing and Navigation by the time I research them. And past the cost of Bronze Working, Iron Working, Masonry, Engineering, etc., etc.... Guess I'll go play CK2 too. And I never got around to Skyrim.

This is why I'm contenting myself by maximizing the exploit. Gives me something to do while the game is broken. That and early tech domination, which really can't take advantage of the exploit anyway.

I apologize if this has been asked and answered.

Can I use the EUI mod and still have my games qualify for HOF?

Hey, this probably isn't needed to say, but regarding the tech 'overflow' exploit discussed above - this was fixed 2.5 years ago on the October 2014 patch. http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/October_2014_patch_(Civ5).
Just for any people new to HOF (like myself) reading through the forums to see what's been discussed & know what rules apply to them, or even for older players who didn't know it was fixed. I personally don't see the huge significance of something that saves a few turns of tech, but then I wasn't playing Civ 2.5 years ago when exploit was around, so am not qualified to comment.
Perhaps some consolidation of what is pinned to the HOF discussion thread might be helpful for new HOF players to have the most helpful advice?
J

Top Bottom