Barbarian cities in Civ 3

Also, a quick reminder on how to get a game going as the barbarians. Or at least one of the ways you can do it.

1. Create a scenario in the usual way
2. Open in Quintillus' Cross Platform Editor with 'Map Safety' set to 'Exploratory'
3. Create a city (or several) then use the Civilization tab to change the owner to Barbarians
4. Start a game using either GOG version (not using the launcher, run Conquests.EXE directly) or disc version. Do not enable C3X patch features yet either. Sima's tool needs a clean non-steam version of Conquests to work.
5. Run Sima's Multiplayer tool and change player to Barbarians
6. Save game and quit out
7. Enable C3X patch features (most importantly, set enable_city_capture_by_barbarians = true)
8. Play!

That last part is hilarious but obvious in retrospect. It could be used to interesting effect though, in a scenario where you have to keep someone else alive against the Big Bad even though everyone is out to get you!

Edit: referring to this part, as your second reply wasn't shown until after I posted
I also attempted to win a game playing as the barbarians with the c3x mod and discovered that you can't do it by conquest because the last civ standing that isn't you gets the win if you destroy all the others!

Ahh good! When Lord hill told me about his discoveries I told him about this thread and to share the cool news with everyone so this is great to see. This will be immensely useful for my play as Barbarians in every Civ game series!

Yes that last point in his first post is also exactly what happened to me when I played as the Alien planet (Barb slot) in Alpha Centauri. As soon as I killed the second to last Civ, the remaining one wins and then the game crashes lol. I don't know how much/if any of the SMAC engine was used to create Civ3 but that's an interesting coincidence! In the end I had to bully and blockade the surviving players and call that a victory instead haha!
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...u-kids-get-off-my-planet.644905/post-15952650

Something I didn't twig the last time I played because I was cheating so badly. Your economy functions but you're also charged maintenance on all of the spawned warriors from villages which quickly tanks you if you try and play fairly!

EDIT - this and any other comments refer specifically to playing with flintlock's barbarian enhancements enabled.

Last edited:
Top Bottom