Barbarians can now build what??

Minuteman

Minister of salty snacks
I've just finished playing my first game with the 1.17f patch (small random map using default rules), and unfortunately, all of the barbarian tribes were wiped out before I had a chance to witness one of them produce some of the new units that are now available to them.

Has anyone actually witnessed barbarians build anything other than the standard three units (warriors, horsemen, & galleys) that they're known to build? When I opened the .bic file with the editor (v.1.15), barbarians were still restricted to the aforementioned units.

If I somehow misinterpreted what I saw in the editor, then what new units can barbarian camps now build? How far up the tech tree can they go?

The reason I ask is that it would seem kinda silly to encounter a "barbarian destroyer" in 1970, or something.

Originally posted by Minuteman
I've just finished playing my first game with the 1.17f patch (small random map using default rules), and unfortunately, all of the barbarian tribes were wiped out before I had a chance to witness one of them produce some of the new units that are now available to them.

Has anyone actually witnessed barbarians build anything other than the standard three units (warriors, horsemen, & galleys) that they're known to build? When I opened the .bic file with the editor (v.1.15), barbarians were still restricted to the aforementioned units.

If I somehow misinterpreted what I saw in the editor, then what new units can barbarian camps now build? How far up the tech tree can they go?

The reason I ask is that it would seem kinda silly to encounter a "barbarian destroyer" in 1970, or something.

You're a little mistaken, it's the goody huts that can build any unit not the camps. The huts are still considered a barbarian tribe. The camps are the same as always, I believe.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Obviously, I misunderstood several other threads that I read on the topic. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I didn't encounter any goody huts either in my first post-patch game, but it'll be interesting to see what emerges from them in my next game.

I've played one game under the patch, and had two goodie huts pop hostiles out.... They were all warriors, in both cases... Maybe it has to do with what units YOU can build at the time?

- Windwalker

Next time you'll find a conscript Cruise Missile that wants to join your tribe. ;)

Originally posted by Windwalker
I've played one game under the patch, and had two goodie huts pop hostiles out.... They were all warriors, in both cases... Maybe it has to do with what units YOU can build at the time?

- Windwalker

Wow, Windwalker, what a bummer! Seems like all the other posts I've seen show people getting mucho "skilled" Settlers, or ... Armies!! NOT hostiles!

Oh well, maybe just bad luck, still, don't walk post any multistory Piano stores!!!

Originally posted by Kefka
Personally I beleive that barbarians should be able to build privaters ;)

I agree wholeheartedly. In fact, in almost every "scenario" that I've created with the editor, I have made Privateers a "barbarian" unit exclusively just to ensure that they build them. IMHO, doing that better captures the sprit of high-seas piracy, as it existed at various times in the early modern period.

Besides, have you ever noticed the way other nations still get pissed at you for using Privateers, even though their nationality is allegedly concealed? Making extensive use of them is a good way to end up an outcast on the world stage. So, they're best left to the barbarians.

Letter of marque, anyone?

Privateers...

So they can use them?Kewl....too bad I never see any barbarians past 500AD,except for the Zulus :D

I agree wholeheartedly. In fact, in almost every "scenario" that I've created with the editor, I have made Privateers a "barbarian" unit exclusively just to ensure that they build them. IMHO, doing that better captures the sprit of high-seas piracy, as it existed at various times in the early modern period.

Besides, have you ever noticed the way other nations still get pissed at you for using Privateers, even though their nationality is allegedly concealed? Making extensive use of them is a good way to end up an outcast on the world stage. So, they're best left to the barbarians.

Letter of marque, anyone?
thats what I thinking make them a barbarian unit ONLY and but I never actually thought of doing it for some reason :lol: stupid me :rolleyes:
actually I have never used privaters and I have never seen the AI use Privaters so making them a barbarian only unit would let them actually show up in my games :lol:

Also have any of you noticed that even barbarians now (If they survive long enough) can build ICBM with v1.17?
NOW THAT WOULD PISS ME OFF! IF I GOT HIT WITH A BARBARIAN ICBM!

Originally posted by Dirk Aurel
Privateers...

So they can use them?Kewl....too bad I never see any barbarians past 500AD,except for the Zulus :D

umm..It appears that I may be adding to the confusion here. I never said that Barbarians can build Privateers, though it would be cool if they could. I said that I usually allow for Barbarians to build Privateers when I play an edited game. I usually, remove the resource requirement in order to build them, make them available with the discovery of Navigation in lieu of Magnetism, and make them available only to barbarians. As Kefka noted, the AI doesn't seem to build Privateers anyway, so making them available to Barbarians is a good way to ensure that they'll show up in the game.

Kefka, I don't think you'll stumble across any ICBM's hidden in goody huts. However, I have read a few people state that they found Armies in goody huts.

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to being mauled by a barbarian army in a goody hut, by it's cool nonetheless. :goodjob:

There's another section of the editor where you choose what the barbarian's Basic Ground Unit, Advanced Ground Unit, and Sea Unit are, that's separate from the list of 'available units' on the Civilizations tab (I think). I've used it to change the barbarian sea unit to Privateer myself...I also toyed with making their Advance Ground Unit the Mounted Warrior but that made things way too hard (especially since I upped their speed to 3).

Also, in my game the AI civilizations do use the privateers. They seem to use them to attack other civs at random, as I've had a 'Gracious' enemy repeatedly attack me with privateers (I knew whose they were because I had bombardment enabled for them and when they destroy your improvements they'll say which civ did it).

That´s ok though,might do that too.Aslong as it actually appears I don´t care.Maybe change the Privateer that it´s more effective too, well the entire naval system has to be changed sooner or later,am thinking about shifting certain advances down the tech tree,so that the English can finally use their UU effectively.

Afaik barbarian armies don´t appear,but instead armies for the player to fill with units do,also have heard that a lot more settlers will appear in goody huts,think this might be a bit too good.Will see...

umm..It appears that I may be adding to the confusion here. I never said that Barbarians can build Privateers, though it would be cool if they could. I said that I usually allow for Barbarians to build Privateers when I play an edited game. I usually, remove the resource requirement in order to build them, make them available with the discovery of Navigation in lieu of Magnetism, and make them available only to barbarians. As Kefka noted, the AI doesn't seem to build Privateers anyway, so making them available to Barbarians is a good way to ensure that they'll show up in the game.

Kefka, I don't think you'll stumble across any ICBM's hidden in goody huts. However, I have read a few people state that they found Armies in goody huts.

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to being mauled by a barbarian army in a goody hut, by it's cool nonetheless. :goodjob:

Well if the reports are any indication, it looks like the AI might be using the Privateers more now. BTW, it's not necessary to remove the resource in order to get the Barbarians using them, they will any way. So you seem a bit confused about the Army thing. The Barbs don't use them, it's a bonus unit for whoever pops the hut.

Top Bottom