Barbarians have more advanced units than player

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by reddishrecue, Nov 27, 2013.

1. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

I'm in a random map game and barbarians are able to have destroyers. However, I still have ironclads. How do barbarians manage to get better ships than me?

2. Biologist

Biologist Emperor

Some other player or AI in the game has more advanced technology than you. Barbarians get units equal to the highest tech level reached by any civilization in the game. There are limits, though: Barbarians can't get resource-using units, so no barbarian GDRs or nukes.

3. Xiao Xiong

Xiao Xiong Prince

Umm... So explain barbarian swordsmen and horsemen then?

4. kpi

kpi Chieftain

they should be renamed terrorists in the modern era too. they should be able to covertly nuke cities like in civ 2

5. Biologist

Biologist Emperor

Er, yeah....that's the exception to the rule. You won't see barb tanks or planes though.

6. Stellarnight

Stellarnight Warlord

It would be nice if barbarians get X-Com Units and they shall be called...EXALT.

Out of curiosity, what is the most modern unit a barbarian can get? Infantry?

7. Fulcan_d

Fulcan_d Chieftain

I have seen barbarians with tanks, it was very late game. Those units were spawned because of revolutionary waves so Idk if normal barbarian rules apply to them.

8. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

Barbarians are the most sophisticated AI in the game.

They don't talk to you, threaten you or belittle you, they just want to kill you. In the early game on harder levels with lots of lands open, they are just a little painful but remove a couple of AI's and there will plenty of lands for them to spawn.

As said, barbs get the stuff the normal AI's get without even researching, lazy buggers!

So for you to get the achievement, where barbs sack your city, play along and find some icy area with 2-3 barbcamps, let them spawn 6-7 units and you plop down a defenseless city in the middle of their ice-territory. Is quite fun actually! :)

9. Makavcio

Makavcio Prince

All these barbarian infantry and tanks...
    It would be nice if barbarian ceased to spawn at some point, let's say Renaissance, and instead of them we could get religious zealots (spawn in fog of war influenced by a religion), rebels (spawn because of low happiness), pirates (coastal bases, 1/2 time for spawning ships) and revolutionaries (spawn as a result of revolutionary wave). All such faction could spawn several units at once and be a real threat like in Civ 1. On deity in Civ 1 rebels often had bigger army than my own, even if they were a little behind in tech.