[Vanilla] Base Game Patch Notes (February 2018)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Softly, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Uncle_Joe

Uncle_Joe Prince

FYI, Science per citizen is set to .5 in the expansion global defines.

Gbest likes this.
  2. Abaxial

Abaxial King

Curious that they say AIs are less likely to cede cities - it was something I noticed moving from Civ V to VI, that in V you always get a city when concluding peace whether you ask for it or not, whereas in VI you don't.

3. Sansa_Stark

Sansa_Stark Prince

Are patch notes for R&F available somewhere?

Also funny how silent this place is right now since everyone who can is playing :crazyeye: Not my case unfortunately.

4. KyivanRusCivPlease

KyivanRusCivPlease Prince

These are also the patch notes for R&F, aren't they? The difference in R&F will only be the new content and new systems, right?

5. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

It does change some stuff but this changes are features of the expansion, so it doesn't get a patch note.

nzcamel and KyivanRusCivPlease like this.
  6. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Not to dispute your final authority as "Arbiter of What is Fine", but nope, that's still showing that the patch didn't fix the issue in the manner they described.

7. Magil

Magil Monarch

Well, let's analyze what was actually said then.

• Evenly across the map seems more or less true, 8-12 hexes gives some variance but is generally good enough to give you some breathing room to start but possibly incite conflict early.
    • Inserting city-states in the margins, well, I didn't read this as "always put city-states between Civs", I more or less thought of it as putting city-states around the edges and in larger gaps. Seems true enough from what I'm seeing. If you read this as "always put city-states between major civs" well I guess it didn't do that for you.
    • Improved distances between Civilizations. I'd say 8 hexes is improved from 3.
    • Better quality for major civ start positions. Possibly not true. My starts have so far been acceptable, but I've heard that this is possibly not yet done.
    Wouldn't surprise me if there were one or more things going wrong in this mess, given other things that the patch is doing weirdly (though my unit maintenance issue seems to be gone as of installing R&F). But it is an improvement.

8. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

I'd say that holding three hexes as the standard for "too close" is setting a generously low bar, and deeming eight tiles between two civ's as sufficient breathing room for growth is specious, given that a second city gets you a nastygram.

Like I said, it was a huge map where I'd lowed the number of civ's down by two. Should be even more room than usual.

Ran into Poland previously, not another continent but pretty much at the utmost limits of what I would consider enough space to grow without forcing civ's into early warfare. Of course, this is just an initial impression based on the first post-patch load. I'll play more games to see if it's normative, but couching eight spaces as roomy is not a norm to defend.

9. KyivanRusCivPlease

KyivanRusCivPlease Prince

Please rephrase these two changes:
    • Great Admirals and Great Generals have a combat bonus and a movement bonus, they no longer stack.
    • Abundant resource will spawn sea luxuries.

nzcamel likes this.
  10. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

8 tiles seems perfectly fine - getting a complaint is hardly the end of the world and you'll usually have the option to expand in at least two, often three, and sometimes four directions. If you're finding 2+ civs both at 8 tiles distance on a huge map evidently 'even spacing' isn't working as intended, but a single civ 8 tiles away is in line with the pre-bug starts in Civ VI and generally with distance between starting positions in other Civ games.

Yes, there will be some cases where, because the script doesn't seem to take account of the difference between sea and land tiles, you'll end up in situations like the one depicted where you don't have good expansion options other than to move on top of the closest civ, but any algorithm will produce some poor starts.

EDIT: Looking back it's not even constraining you as you appear to have reasonable expansion opportunities to the east.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  11. AmtrakQuebec

AmtrakQuebec King

You know that place by the other place...
    Well, they do seem to have fixed the problem where when the host leaves in MP, it hangs the game... sort of. This has happened a couple times today, and the game did come back but it took forever to resync, and the turn transition times thereafter were AIDS...

le sigh

12. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

I agree (have agreed) that little should be inferred from one loadout. However, to me eight spaces (ore even ten) is less likely to produce an amicable Lady-and-the-Tramp spaghetti scene where two civ's grow more affectionate as they progressively grow closer to each other than it is to produce an experience comparable to sharing an Uberpool with Harvey Weinstein and Brett Ratner.

And that's fine sometimes. Every loadout is different. It just shouldn't be accepted as the norm.

13. Magil

Magil Monarch

When I played Civ IV it was kind of understood as a baseline expectation that in order to be able to compete at difficulty levels beyond the lowest ones I would need to, at some point, attack and conquer a neighbor, at least 80% of the time (and that's probably low-balling it). Even if I wanted a peaceful victory, this is a game where competition for land and resources is a major driving force behind gameplay and at some point that's going to come to a head. So maybe my perspective on this is different. I look at this and say "yes, this is normal".

nzcamel likes this.
  14. Gort

Gort Emperor

I still see the "Sack" policy card. What's up with that?

I'm using no mods and completely reinstalled the game to play the patch, so it shouldn't be any legacy stuff from previous versions.

15. Magil

Magil Monarch

As far as I can tell some of the stuff in the patch notes is actually only in Rise and Fall. Firaxis messed up.

16. Gort

Gort Emperor

Ah, that would make sense. Any idea how much of the rest of the patch is missing?

17. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

The reduction to science per citizen is only in R&F I believe.

18. Abaxial

Abaxial King

The game still crashes on exit.

19. Lord_Azazel

Lord_Azazel Prime Swatter

Didn't boot up the game yesterday, played R&F on thursday.

Today I got an update on the game on Steam, but I can't find any patch notes anywhere. Does anyone know what was changed/fixed?

20. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

• I'm yet to see this on Marathon...unless trade deals are now shorter than 30 turns elsewhere. Or are trade deals not considered diplomatic actions?

I haven't noticed a change here either...

So what level were they set at before this change? And given that reducing the potency of barbs potentially improves the AI Civs...is this counter productive??

I thought this was already scaled.

It looks to me now like you can build an obsolete unit if you do not have access to the resource which obsoleted it! Wonderful :goodjob: but not what I was expecting with this wording. Or is that just a R&F thing?

All great needed changes.

I love everything they did under this heading!

Again I'd like to see more in this area, like all land units having a harder time against naval units (at least if they are on the land tile that is next to the coast); but I guess this is a good change as bombards are less common than light ranged; or should be in most games.

:stupid: 1,000,000 percent this! I want to use map pin to plan out my cities so I don't waste a space I want; but I don't want to see them (the pins) most of the time! Map pin lense please @FXS_Sarah ??

If there is one I'd love to know.

• Yeah, I'd like to get that clarified as well. I'm guessing it means that (like factories) you only get the bonus from the strongest GG or GA in the area?