[R&F] Based on the new features - which civilizations and leaders should be introduced in R&F?

Here are my guesses
Based off of the trailer:
Mongolia
Korea
Dutch
Based off of geography:
Inca
Iroquois/Sioux (any Native American tribe will do)
Fan service:
Mali
Based off of time period
Italy with 2 leaders
Surprise civ:
Canada
(I mean Ottomans, it can wait)

Looking at the TSL map I think that should be covered:

- Alaska/Canada
- US Pacific Coast
- South America Pacific Coast
- Siberia
- West Africa
- South Africa

For this reason I think it would be good to pick up:

- Inuit
- Shoshone (even if would be cool to see Apache in the game and it would not be far from Shoshone as TSL)
- Inca
- Mongols
- Songhai
- Zulu

Beside these civilizations I would like to see Carthage and Babylon and since would be free an extra slot for a leader, my vote goes to Julius Caesar.

I would like to add one thing: if they want to implement civilizations prone to colonialism, they should revamp the AI, so that specific Civilizations (England, France, Spain, Portugal, Holland...) will be incline to explore and conquer new continents.

Honestly the Cherokee would be the safest bet than say Canada not only from a fan stand point but dev as well. Well covered history as well as Culture and area that covered pretty much a wide swath of states.

Of all the civs that need a second leader, Rome is very near the bottom of the list. :/

We need more outright ratbags and scoundrels in the game, therefore I'd
definitely support Rodrigo Borgia as a 2nd leader for Rome.

And the HRE. And Frankia. And Russia (Third Rome). And the Ottomans. And the Sultanate of Rum. And...Honestly, if we tacked on everyone who claimed to be Rome's successor on as alternate Roman leaders, Teddy Roosevelt would be leading Rome. :p (And of course Constantine was unquestionably a Roman emperor, but I'd still rather see a Medieval Byzantine ruler like Alexios I Komnenos to further remove it from both Rome and Greece.)

"Byzantine" is interesting, since the Byzantines and their enemies referred to them as Romans, the west sometimes called them Romans, and sometimes called them Greeks. Culturally they changed from latin to greek gradually. Historians like to use Byzantine to isolate it even though it never was a contemporary term. I happen to think Rome would be more interesting if they gave them a Byzantine or close to Byzantine leader.

I also happen to think Greece could be interesting if they provided a Byzantine leader as well

We can also have more leaders for Epirus, the Seleucids or the Minoans :lol: Or what about modern Greece? Ioannis Metaxas as a new leader of the Greeks.

From the opposite side, the maintenance of a large and diverse empire with bonuses to loyalty at the fringes could include the Ottomans or Austria (screw it let's do Metternich).

Austria's the pick we've all been sleeping on, and I love having Metternich as leader! Absolutely perfect for diplomacy and wrangling free/independent cities to your will. Fits the game's mechanics very well, better than pretty much anybody (though the Ottomans also fit the agenda very nicely, and I won't stop going on about Ghana/Kwame).

Austria doesn't feel distinctive enough from Germany, especially since they already have a HRE leader. I don't think Austria relevance through it's most important years was higher than Sweden's during their most important years. (maybe slightly more). Austria wouldn't add much to the game (and it would conflict with the Free Imperial Cities agenda of Barbarossa). It would feel similar to a possible alt leader of Germany as well (the same problem). We could however maybe have a slight tweaking of the abilities of Germany. And since they want to add more diversity and new/fresh civs, i think they will choose for Hungary, especially since their culture is distinctive enough (that language, and the nationalism/turanism) and they represent the Austria-Hungary age too, but since 8 choices are pretty much restrictive, i don't think we will see them now. Also, don't forget that we need female leaders (yes, Maria Theresa is one, but she was in civ 5). Does Hungary have a possible female leader actually? Do the Ottomans have a possible female leader? Inca's also don't have a female leader. The Mongols won't have a female leader too (since it will be Genghis or maybe Kublai), and even Timur and Akbar (possible replacers) are males. Does Babylon have a female leader? If Canada would have Lester B. Pearson as leader, he would also not be a woman. The Native Americans also need a woman, so civilizations with strong / notable woman have a chance. That's why the extra leader is most likely be a woman too. And you're probably safe with Queen Seondeok of Korea, Zaarin.

for me really want

Civs
Mayans
Zulus
Mongols
Babylon
Byzantium!

One leader id like to see regardless of civs question is charlemagne

I'd love to see Maria Theresa ruling Austria. Her Civ5 ability could translate well to Rise & Fall's Loyalty & Alliance systems.

Expansion: Mongolia, Dutch, Turkey
Rise and Fall put the emphasis on Cultural Flipping, not a conquest.
Therefore I think Mongolia could be there on the other side, as an empire which was challenged by the cultural diversity of its dominions.
Dutch, however, could have William of Orange, as their liberator, and not simply a colonial power.

After that I think we see the return to the Venice styled Italian civ, where it plays with crazy mechanics based around the independent city flipping mechanics.
Is it really likely that they'll add Venice in two consecutive versions? It is too much of a niche civ.

Man, the more I think about it, the more I think Kwame Nkrumah's the perfect leader for Rise & Fall. Great for city loyalty/defections, diplomacy, and corralling free cities. I have a very strong feeling he'll be in R&F as the leader of Ghana.
If already adding Ghana, is a modern leader the best choice?
Quite odd to me. It is not really a prosperous state...

Extremely likely
  • Netherlands (focused on trade, alliances, governors and expansion. Almost a given).
  • Mongolia (probably the most wanted civ (+ civ leader icon), focused on expansion (agressive city flipping?) and horses)
Likely
  • Isabella of Spain (focusing on exploration, bonuses for governor overseas, specific golden age mechanic, female ruler)
Similar to what I've written to Ornen above you -
I can't see how Genghis Khan has anything to do with this expansion.
A late Mongol Khan is far more relevant, one who's empire has to deal with ethnic diversity and loyalty.
While Kublai Khan is another iconic pick that might fit better, it would be amazing if they add Golden Horde's Batu Khan.
And Dutch - well, their European existence and William van Orange's career could be the emphasis, not necessarily the maritime power.

And I don't get it.
Why adding Isabella? It is nearly as ridiculous as Grogo.
It was the same culture and period of Philip II.
If you want a leader for European colonialism:
  • Simon Bolivar
  • Franciso Pizzaro
  • Readjustments of Victoria's personality.
  • Charles de Gaulle
  • Louis de Buade de Frontenac (some have mentioned the wonder of his name.....)

Ok gotta ad another bet:
Canada!

The game cover includes Chateau Frontenac, located in Canada. Probably a wonder in game, and a hint of Canada's appearance.
Well, how about it being a hint for New France's 17th century Governor of the same name?

And it wouldn't change anything, since they won't include two new civs from both North and Central America, and certainly not three from the America's. We also already have the Aztecs, so the Maya's are actually unlikely, if Canada makes it into the expansion, what it will do.

I think if we will see one leader return from the returning civs we will have, it's going to be Genghis Khan, because they tend to keep the God Tier Icon Leaders like Alexander, Montezuma and Gandhi, and Genghis Khan fits that sterotype.

Even if the extra 9th leader is not a Mongol, it's no problem.
One later Mongol leader could be added now, while Genghis may be included in the next expansion.
Who knows, maybe the next expansion will be Horde-based, with Genghis, Atila and Alp Arslan starring the front cover? :confused:
Could be interesting to mix with the Emergency.

Also, if they included Tamerlane (Timur), they should give him the mechanic of creating artifacts by destroying cities with wonders in them.
Whose leader will he be? Mongols? A second Persian?

Having a Muslim Persian leader will be amazing and should have happened long ago in Civ's history.

I think Bolivar's efforts to recruit and hold together different parts of Gran Colombia might make him a sneaky shot to be there with bonuses relating to city liberation/flipping. Hiawatha/Jigonhsasee of the Iroquois, or Garibaldi for Italy might also be candidates here.

From the opposite side, the maintenance of a large and diverse empire with bonuses to loyalty at the fringes could include the Ottomans or Austria (screw it let's do Metternich). Maybe the Mongols.

Either Metternich or Franz Joseph would be absolutely fabulous figures to see on screen!
Both can work with the expansion's guidelines:
  • Metternich - counter-nationalism, Flipping and Loyalty issues
  • Franz Joseph - WWI system of Alliances, and moreover, first ever appearance of a WWI leader!

Macedon was still a long-lasting country, and empire for a while. Including Macedon wasn't the worst decision, they did. Maybe more a question of not the right timing.
But it was part of the Greek world.
Alexander should have been a Greek leader. Instead of the ridiculous choice of Grogo.

One new suggestion -
How about Bohdan Khmelnytsky of the Cossack Hetmanate?
Ukraine was never represented of course, and it could be a good example of a breakaway state.

Last edited:
Rise and Fall put the emphasis on Cultural Flipping, not a conquest.
Therefore I think Mongolia could be there on the other side, as an empire which was challenged by the cultural diversity of its dominions.
Dutch, however, could have William of Orange, as their liberator, and not simply a colonial power.
Not every civ needs to tie directly into the new mechanics. People want to see Genghis because he's the most iconic conqueror of all time. And it wouldn't be hard –– give Genghis a bonus against civs in a dark age, or let his units undermine city loyalty around them, or give him golden ages through conquest. There are so many ways to do it.

If already adding Ghana, is a modern leader the best choice?
Quite odd to me. It is not really a prosperous state...
Kwame hasn't been in charge for over 40 years. Since then, the country's been under IMF / World Bank influence, both controversial institutions that have been accused of exploiting more developing countries than just Ghana. And Kwame's best known for his role in decolonization and pan-Africanism, not in economically transforming Ghana. He would definitely merit inclusion.

Well, how about it being a hint for New France's 17th century Governor of the same name?
I honestly don't get why people are so fixated on the inclusion of a wonder pointing towards something else. Firaxis includes wonders all the time without adding the civs/leaders connected to them. Like the city states, it's a nice way of including civs that haven't been added yet.

Of all the civs that need a second leader, Rome is very near the bottom of the list. :/

Depends on how you look at it.

I know people look at the true start locations and open areas across space to fill--fair enough, but I'm sure some people would want to fill space across time (and influence). Not that they necessarily need to be ranked based on importance; but I'd maybe argue that if you look at the histories that India, China, Egypt, Rome are wildly under-represented.

I can't see how Genghis Khan has anything to do with this expansion.
A late Mongol Khan is far more relevant, one who's empire has to deal with ethnic diversity and loyalty.
While Kublai Khan is another iconic pick that might fit better, it would be amazing if they add Golden Horde's Batu Khan.

You're looking at it from the wrong end.

Chingiz Khan exploited declining civilizations and cities that weren't that loyal to their cultures as a whole, taking many without firing a shot. Sure fear had a lot to do with that, but the places he went after were already fractured.

While I'm still convinced that France is the base Civilization most in need of the alternate, if that ninth leader slot were to go to America (Teddy was great historically, but his mechanics are bland and weak), then Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower could integrate well with the new Alliance mechanic:

Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower
Leader Ability: Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces

• America's Alliances always begin at Tier 2
  • If America has all five Alliance types (Research, Military, Economic, Cultural, and Religious) simultaneously, they are automatically upgraded to Tier 3

Leader Agenda: Pax Americana
Ike will push for alliances and try to maintain five at all times. He will only pursue wars of liberation for Allies' conquered cities.

Top Bottom