[R&F] Based on the new features - which civilizations and leaders should be introduced in R&F?

I think Canada and Vietnam are both unlikely based on recent additions. Canada is a little too close to US & Australia, and having three English former colonies would feel a bit much when there are so many other civs out there.

For Vietnam, we recently added Khmer and Indonesia. Khmer is especially close to Vietnam, and I don't expect them to add more SE Asian civs so soon after adding two big ones.

If they were to add another SEA civ, I'd actually put my money on the Mughal empire. Never been featured, massive, influential and long-lasting, and otherwise distinct from the civs currently on the board, though it does share territory with India and Persia. They'd also be adept at riffing on the city loyalty/defection phenomenon.

But I don't think we'll see three Asian civs added. It's possible Mughals (or another SEA civ) could be added instead of Korea.

The preview seemed to imply Mongols and a colonial civilization (Portugal or the Netherlands). I guess that covers at least 2 of the eight slots.

You can also bet some of the new leaders will have bonuses to the new Loyalty, Governor and Golden/Dark Age systems.

I think Canada and Vietnam are both unlikely based on recent additions. Canada is a little too close to US & Australia, and having three English former colonies would feel a bit much when there are so many other civs out there.

For Vietnam, we recently added Khmer and Indonesia. Khmer is especially close to Vietnam, and I don't expect them to add more SE Asian civs so soon after adding two big ones.

If they were to add another SEA civ, I'd actually put my money on the Mughal empire. Never been featured, massive, influential and long-lasting, and otherwise distinct from the civs currently on the board, though it does share territory with India and Persia. They'd also be adept at riffing on the city loyalty/defection phenomenon.

But I don't think we'll see three Asian civs added. It's possible Mughals (or another SEA civ) could be added instead of Korea.
the mughals could be represented with an alternate leader for india, so i'll stay with korea as a new civ

If Korea isn't included after teasing us with the Crown of Silla, I think I'll cry. :cry:

We just got 2 from that area though. It's more likely they will add Korea as the expansion's east asian civ.

That's true, ive just been a long advocate for adding them in. Honestly, I don't see why they haven't, mainly because everyone wants them in so bad. While some of the 8 will be repeat civs. I honestly feel we will get quite a few new ones, surprises and unexpected ones.

If Korea isn't included after teasing us with the Crown of Silla, I think I'll cry. :cry:
I think it's definitely Seondeok (there were other female Silla rulers but Seondeok stands out far and above as the best, and she's also gotten more fame since her 2009 epic K-drama). The trailer could be an allusion to how she faced a rebellion (which her general Kim Yushin capably dispensed with).

For those not in the know, for context-- the female in the Civ Rise and Fall expansion trailer wears a crown of Silla (a Korean kingdom during the Three Kingdoms period) around the 1:00 mark during a siege (with catapults/trebuchets).

So Korea seems confirmed.

Given, how much ive liked Korea in the past, im really excited about what they will potentially do Korea here. I mean, with how unique the civs are in civ 6, I think its going to be a fun civ.

You can also bet some of the new leaders will have bonuses to the new Loyalty, Governor and Golden/Dark Age systems.

Looking at the mechanics they've mentioned

Loyalty and city flipping: Ghana, Turkey
Free cities: Italy, Carthage
Expansion: Mongolia, Dutch, Turkey
Dark Ages & Golden Ages: Korea, Italy
Governors: Turkey, Byzantine

That is an interesting comment.
  • Regarding your point on the leaders for the Dark Ages - I don't think that what they intend to be a Dark Age is a time when you have a great leader. It quit ruins the concept of it, isn't it? Though it is a nice gameplay benefit.
    How I view "a leader that fits the Dark Age feature" is a leader who used another's Dark Age for his own civilization's good. That's why Palmyra was my first pick in my spoiler above, and I'm sure there are other good examples throughout history.
I could see the Mongols have an ability of triggering dark ages in civs they go to war with.

As for the new civs, these would be my guesses

1) Mongolia
2) Portugal
3) Ottomans (or Turkey)
4) An meso-american Civ (Inca? Maya)
5) An african Civ (Ethiopia or Mali, but I'm hoping for Ashanti or Ghana)
6) An ancient Civ (Hittites or Babylon, but I'm hoping for Phoenicia)
7) An amero-indian civ? (Iroquois, but I'm hoping for the Lakota or Pueblo)
8) Maybe some Italian civ? (a Golden Age-centric trait would be perfect for a Lombard, Piedmontese, Venetian or Tuscan civ)

I will laff my arse off if one of them is Georgia :lol:

I think it's definitely Seondeok (there were other female Silla rulers but Seondeok stands out far and above as the best, and she's also gotten more fame since her 2009 epic K-drama). The trailer could be an allusion to how she faced a rebellion (which her general capably dispensed with).
I agree we're very likely to see her, which makes me extremely, extremely happy. Which is why I may have a minor meltdown if Korea is not included (while she is easily my top pick for Korea, I could live with another leader choice--but the trailer just seems so explicit, especially since the Crown of Silla is rather distinctive).

Given, how much ive liked Korea in the past, im really excited about what they will potentially do Korea here. I mean, with how unique the civs are in civ 6, I think its going to be a fun civ.
Agreed. And I love Korean culture and history. And I can't think of a better leader choice than Seondeok.

Vietnam will most likely be an end-game inclusion. It's too early now (esp. since we just have two new SEA-civilizations). But they will certainly add another SEA civ in a future expansion. (since the base game and a base expansion wouldn't have a SEA-civ). And there are plenty of options yet. Canada is also too early, and honestly i would be kinda outraged if they would be included in this expansion, because that's the worst possible "civilization" you can include now.

I could see the Mongols have an ability of triggering dark ages in civs they go to war with.

Oh, that would be neat. Would likely be something like giving negative era points (or whatever they're called) to people they're at war with/killed units/captured cities.

Likely:
Mongolia
Korea
Dutch
Inca (or another Native)
Ottoman Turkey
African civ -- maybe Ghana under Kwame Nkrumah? Major African leader during decolonization, which would be a good way to show off loyalty & city defection mechanics.

Possible:
Carthage
Celts
Babylon
Italy (I don't really buy the Italy tease in the trailer)
Byzantine
Other Latin American (Argentina? Mexico? Colombia?)
Other Native American (Iroquois? Comanche?)
Another African civ. Wouldn't be surprised if they try to represent both west & south Africa

I think Mongolia, Korea, Dutch, Ottomans are all in. I think the heavy tease on the first 3 and the fact that the Ottomans are a highly sought after, and mainstay in the franchise along with they already have some assets in the game make them an easy add.

After that I think we see the return to the Venice styled Italian civ, where it plays with crazy mechanics based around the independent city flipping mechanics.
I think the Iroquois make a return either based around the alliance mechanic or the loyalty mechanic to highlight the Iroquois League.
I think we defiantly get an African civ, my most likely choice is the Zulu (who will be in the game at some point but maybe not yet).
I think two of the civs released will be brand new to the franchise.

Vietnam will most likely be an end-game inclusion. It's too early now (esp. since we just have two new SEA-civilizations). But they will certainly add another SEA civ in a future expansion. (since the base game and a base expansion wouldn't have a SEA-civ). And there are plenty of options yet. Canada is also too early, and honestly i would be kinda outraged if they would be included in this expansion, because that's the worst possible "civilization" you can include now.

If Canada is an end-of-the-line DLC to satisfy the audience before calling it quits on Civ VI, I wouldn't complain seeing as they are neighbors to the makers of the game. But ya I agree it would be ridiculous if they were part of this expansion

I think Mongolia, Korea, Dutch, Ottomans are all in. I think the heavy tease on the first 3 and the fact that the Ottomans are a highly sought after, and mainstay in the franchise along with they already have some assets in the game make them an easy add.

After that I think we see the return to the Venice styled Italian civ, where it plays with crazy mechanics based around the independent city flipping mechanics.
I think the Iroquois make a return either based around the alliance mechanic or the loyalty mechanic to highlight the Iroquois League.
I think we defiantly get an African civ, my most likely choice is the Zulu (who will be in the game at some point but maybe not yet).
I think two of the civs released will be brand new to the franchise.
Given this installments love affair with Hellenes, I think we'll see Byzantium instead of the Ottomans. With Suleiman as an alternate leader. :mischief:

As badly as I want to see someone new for North America in Civ6, I have to concede that the Iroquois would work beautifully with the new alliance system. So would Bismarck--he could have an ability allowing him to have more than one of each alliance type, since he was known for his web of conflicting alliances.

Given this installments love affair with Hellenes, I think we'll see Byzantium instead of the Ottomans. With Suleiman as an alternate leader. :mischief:

As badly as I want to see someone new for North America in Civ6, I have to concede that the Iroquois would work beautifully with the new alliance system. So would Bismarck--he could have an ability allowing him to have more than one of each alliance type, since he was known for his web of conflicting alliances.

Yes I agree that I think Bismark will return as well.

And the Iroquois won't stop more N.Am. civs in the future, I just think this lines up too perfectly for them.

Rome is missing the Eastern Roman cities so Byzantium in highly likely to appear in the game at one point or another.

Top Bottom