Basic Introductions for Civs/Leaders?

redazncommieDXP

Warlord
I'm new to FFH, and I'm trying to find a civ and a leader to start playing with. The problem is just that there's too much to take in and all the civilizations are so different. Is there somewhere I can go to find the "theme" of each civ? If I could find more on their lore it would be cool too, since it would add a lot of flavor/badassery to the game.

Here's a good summary:

I can tell you some civs, Balseraphs are an eternal, "evil" carnival kingdom ruled over by a crazy mage/clown king, Perpentach. Lanun are pirates, simple as that.

I'm new to FFH, and I'm trying to find a civ and a leader to start playing with. The problem is just that there's too much to take in and all the civilizations are so different. Is there somewhere I can go to find the "theme" of each civ? If I could find more on their lore it would be cool too, since it would add a lot of flavor/badassery to the game.

Here is a QUICK GUIDE that summarizes the civs giving their themes, particular abilities, unique units, leaders, special traits, etc.

If it still matters to you a month later.

I still use it to jump into a civ and play.

Consider this headlines. It won't capture any of the nuance, but it'll give you a rough idea of who's who.

Amurites = Wizards and Magic users
Bannor = Crusaders
Doviello = Human Barbarians and wild men
Clan of Embers = Orcs and goblins
Sheaim = Trying to start Armageddon
Elohim = Trying to stop Armageddon
Calabim = Vampires
Hippus = Horse Raiders
Grigori = Agnostic Adventurers
Khazad = Dwarves who love gold
Luichirp = Dwarven craftsmen and their golems
Lanun = Swashbucklers and pirates
Belseraphs = Mad clowns, the dark side of the circus.
Sidar = Trying to transcend
Lljosfar = Forest loving elves, the fae.
Svartalfar = Dark Elves, the unseelie.
Illians = Trying to resseruct the god of winter
Malakim = Desert tribesmen
Infernals = Demons and devils
Mercurians = Angels, cherubim and seraphim

...Mercurians = Angels, cherubim and seraphim

That doesn't quite summarize them properly. Take two parts angel, one part Rambo, and you've got a pretty good summary. These are not peaceful, merciful angels of love.

Very short;

Luchuirp are dwarves. They are isolationistic of nature and use golems instead of soldiers.
Special features: Workers that cannot be built with food, works faster, costs more.
Golem soldiers cannot utilize xp for promos, but they benefit from the hero (Barnaxus)'s combat promotions.

Kuriotates are the children of the Gold Dragon, Eurabatres. They are trusting but can be backstabberish. They have many unique buildings, and the Sprawling trait;
Special features: Sprawling limits the amount of cities you can have, but makes those cities more powerful. Cities that are not "core cities" are "settlements", and will not expand culturally or population-wise.

The Malakim are desert nomads, very zealous (often Empyrean).
They have a commerce bonus on floodplains/deserts, and have a special unit (Lightbringer) that can be upgraded easily into a religious diciple once those are available. They also have combat bonuses in deserts.

The Elohim are protectors of the worlds special places (Unique features); They start with all of the unique features revealed to them. They are good at defending themselves - Einon rarely goes to war, but has the Tolerant trait. Ethne is a bit more warlike.

The Bannor are overzealous crusaders, often worshippers of Junil (and thus, Order). They are a pretty ordinary warrior civ, but they really shine when they can utilize their Crusade civic.

Mercurians are angels summoned by a good civ to battle the infernals. Fallen good priests (and sometimes other creatures) join their ranks as angels, and they are led by a strong hero, Basium. If he dies, they lose their traits.

Sidar are a ghostlike civ that does not trust anyone. They keep mostly to themselves, but they have perfectioned stealth in order to avoid contact with others (UUs: Divided Soul and Ghost). Their experienced units can "wane", to settle like a greatperson in a city.

Grigori are agnostics. They cannot adobt a state religion. They also lack the ordinary hero, instead they have a special greatperson class, Adventurer, who start with the hero promo and can be upgraded to practically anything.

Hippus are mercenary horsemen. They are basically in for every kind of deal if the price is right. Their strength is that they are fast and powerful warriors. Their palace provides only two mana sources, but provide horses aswell.

Khazad are greedy dwarves. They have a special building in all of their cities, that grants extra :) if you have lots of gold, and :mad: if you are very poor. They often found the Runes of Kilmorph.

The Ljosalfar (or "light-elves") are elven defenders of the forest and the former subjects of the god Sucellus. They often found the Fellowship of Leaves, and their workers can build improvements in forests without cutting them down. They are the elven Summer Court.

Amurites are the children of Kylorin, and they strive to strenghten their already legendary grasp of magicks. Their mages are better than ordinary ones, and their hero can teach other units spells.

Lanun are ruthless, but not moralless, pirates. They dominate the sea where they travel and live off their plunder. They can establish Pirate Coves out in the sea, and they have access to the Pearls ressource.

The Illians are the followers of Mulcarn. Their leader, Auric Ulvin, is Mulcarn imprisoned in a mortal body, and their objective is often to ascend the man to godhood. They, neither, can adopt a religion. The ascension is preceded by lots of rituals, all with a different effect.

The Balseraph is a madman's playground of freaks and lepers; they are led by a powerful mind mage who has gone insane (Perpentach) or his daughter who thinks demons are playfriends. Either way, they are a strange and original civ (and fun to play!). Their unique features include the Arena, the Freak (and Freak show), Human cages, Mimics, Harlequins, Acrobats and their special hero, Loki.

The Svartalfar ("Dark Elves") are the darker elves, those of the winter court. They are backstabberish and very stealthy, often worshippers of Esus. Their recon units are strong attackers, and they have an assassin hero.

The Calabim is a society of vampires and their subjects. They are famed for the unique social mobility in their society, but most of the bloodpets stay bloodpets, trust me. They have vampires, powerful units who can feed on a city's population to gain xp, or feed upon the weaker bloodpets to replenish their hp.

The Sheaim are wicked men, who try to bring armageddon to the world. They have unique features that work best under a high Armageddon Counter, and they are often the founders of the Ashen Veil.

The Infernal are harbingers of hell, summoned by an Ashen Veil civ. Like the Mercurians, they are led by a powerful hero unit, Hyborem. They cannot grow their cities normally, but their citizens do not consume food. Evil souls join the infernals once they are killed.

The Doviello are primitive warriors of the tundras, only slightly more sophisticated than the predator animals they adore, wolves. They can upgrade workers to soldiers, and soldier can be upgraded in the field, allowing for some really early rushing.

The Clan of Embers are slightly more sophisticated barbarians, left by their god, Bhall, the Angel of Fire. They are extremely aggressive and have a peaceful relation to the barbarian civilizations, atleast early on.

That's a good hawk's view of the civilizations; when I first started I liked the lore but many times I felt I would do better to first get a brief summation of a civ, play a quick game for 100-200 turns, and then come back for tips, strategies, and lore if I liked the civ.

Top Bottom