Basium- Best way to play the mercurians

Oh and don't play them like the AI ("I guess it'll be okay to send Basium into Clan lands alone. Oh look, he died. I'll do it again since he seems immortal"). NOT smart.

Don't lose your hero. Doing that will lose you your traits.

This is why I actually flagged both Basium and Hyborem as immortal (rather than just having the promotion) in my game. I don't play as either, but the AI gets them killed way too easily, and I'd rather have some seriously scary Angels and Demons romping through my games than some traitless civs that are late to the party to begin with :p

Not true. Only those units which follow a Good religion are reborn under his control. Which, aside from Priests, are only 20% of all units produced, less if your cities have no religion or have Evil religions or Leaves in them. That's why it's a good strategy as Basium to spam suicidal Priests--and why the Altar is strongest for Basium.

This is incorrect. In order to be reborn as an Angel under Mercurian control a unit has to be living and have a Good Religion or belong to the Mercurians already. Units with no religion and even units with AV as their religion will return as angels if Basium controlled them in life. If a unit has an Evil religion and belongs to Basium, it will return as both an angel and manes.

Summoned Tigers also return as Angels, as did Mistforms until a recent patch when they were made into elementals instead of living units. As animals lack Divine Sparks, I tend to think that this should be changed. Until then though, FoL is the best religion for Basium, despite his dislike for Sucellus. (I expect he probably got along well with Cernunnos though, as this archangel was a fighter who challenged Agares himself instead of a wimp like his master, so its all good.)

Note that units are not guaranteed to return if they meet the requirements. Pseudo-random number generation is involved in determining if the unit will return, as is the number of players in the game and the XP of the unit. Also note that the Infernals get 2 chances per evil unit that dies, and that if there are multiple Mercurian/Infernal civs they all get Angels/Manes.

Code:
			if (unit.getReligion() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('RELIGION_COUNCIL_OF_ESUS') or unit.getReligion() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('RELIGION_THE_ASHEN_VEIL') or unit.getReligion() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('RELIGION_OCTOPUS_OVERLORDS') or unit.isHasPromotion(gc.getInfoTypeForString('PROMOTION_DEATH1')) or unit.isHasPromotion(gc.getInfoTypeForString('PROMOTION_ENTROPY1'))):
				cf.giftUnit(gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNIT_MANES'), gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_INFERNAL'), 0, unit.plot(), unit.getOwner())
				cf.giftUnit(gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNIT_MANES'), gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_INFERNAL'), 0, unit.plot(), unit.getOwner())

if (unit.getReligion() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('RELIGION_THE_EMPYREAN') or unit.getReligion() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('RELIGION_THE_ORDER') or unit.getReligion() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('RELIGION_RUNES_OF_KILMORPH') or pPlayer.getCivilizationType() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_MERCURIANS')):
				cf.giftUnit(gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNIT_ANGEL'), gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_MERCURIANS'), unit.getExperience(), unit.plot(), unit.getOwner())
Code:
	def giftUnit(self, iUnit, iCivilization, iXP, pFromPlot, iFromPlayer):
		iAngel = gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNIT_ANGEL')
		iManes = gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNIT_MANES')
		if (iUnit == iAngel or iUnit == iManes):
			iChance = 100 - (CyGame().countCivPlayersAlive() * 3)
			iChance = iChance + iXP
			if iChance < 5:
				iChance = 5
			if iChance > 95:
				iChance = 95
			if CyGame().getSorenRandNum(100, "Gift Unit") > iChance:
				iUnit = -1
		if iUnit != -1:
			bValid = False
			for iPlayer in range(gc.getMAX_PLAYERS()):
				pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(iPlayer)
				if (pPlayer.isAlive()):
					if pPlayer.getCivilizationType() == iCivilization:
						py = PyPlayer(iPlayer)
						if pPlayer.getNumCities() > 0:
							iRnd = CyGame().getSorenRandNum(py.getNumCities(), "Gift Unit")
							pCity = py.getCityList()[iRnd]
							pPlot = pCity.plot()
							newUnit = pPlayer.initUnit(iUnit, pPlot.getX(), pPlot.getY(), UnitAITypes.NO_UNITAI, DirectionTypes.DIRECTION_SOUTH)
							newUnit.changeExperience(iXP, -1, false, false, false)
							newUnit.setWeapons()
							if (pFromPlot != -1 and gc.getPlayer(iFromPlayer).isHuman()):
								bValid = True
							if pPlayer.isHuman():
								if iUnit == iManes:
									CyInterface().addMessage(iPlayer,True,25,CyTranslator().getText("TXT_KEY_MESSAGE_ADD_MANES",()),'AS2D_UNIT_FALLS',1,'Art/Interface/Buttons/Promotions/Demon.dds',ColorTypes(7),pPlot.getX(),pPlot.getY(),True,True)
								if iUnit == iAngel:
									CyInterface().addMessage(iPlayer,True,25,CyTranslator().getText("TXT_KEY_MESSAGE_ADD_ANGEL",()),'AS2D_UNIT_FALLS',1,'Art/Interface/Buttons/Promotions/Angel.dds',ColorTypes(7),pPlot.getX(),pPlot.getY(),True,True)
							if (pPlayer.isHuman() == False and iUnit == iManes and pCity != -1):
								if CyGame().getSorenRandNum(100, "Manes") < (100 - (pCity.getPopulation() * 5)):
									pCity.changePopulation(1)
									newUnit.kill(True, PlayerTypes.NO_PLAYER)
			if bValid:
				if iUnit == iManes:
					CyInterface().addMessage(iFromPlayer,True,25,CyTranslator().getText("TXT_KEY_MESSAGE_UNIT_FALLS",()),'AS2D_UNIT_FALLS',1,'Art/Interface/Buttons/Promotions/Demon.dds',ColorTypes(7),pFromPlot.getX(),pFromPlot.getY(),True,True)
				if iUnit == iAngel:
					CyInterface().addMessage(iFromPlayer,True,25,CyTranslator().getText("TXT_KEY_MESSAGE_UNIT_RISES",()),'AS2D_UNIT_FALLS',1,'Art/Interface/Buttons/Promotions/Angel.dds',ColorTypes(7),pFromPlot.getX(),pFromPlot.getY(),True,True)

Great idea! In UnitInfos.xml <bImmortal>1</bImmortal> tag, right?

Yup, that's it. Not sure if it stops the trait loss though. As for the Mercurians, my favourite way is definitely through the Sidar. If you get the adapt thing going early you can have a really powerful partner and starting city.

This is why I actually flagged both Basium and Hyborem as immortal (rather than just having the promotion) in my game. I don't play as either, but the AI gets them killed way too easily, and I'd rather have some seriously scary Angels and Demons romping through my games than some traitless civs that are late to the party to begin with :p

Personally, I prefer to give them an insanely high number of traits, to make killing them off much more satisfying. Also, I make the Basium/Hyborem units themselves stronger. Since Agares has not withdrawn his Ara from Hyborem as Arawn has from Basium, Hyborem is much stronger but cannot leave hell terrain lest he violate the Compact.

Personally, I prefer to give them an insanely high number of traits, to make killing them off much more satisfying. Also, I make the Basium/Hyborem units themselves stronger. Since Agares has not withdrawn his Ara from Hyborem as Arawn has from Basium, Hyborem is much stronger but cannot leave hell terrain lest he violate the Compact.

That's a cool idea for Hyborem, and it would help keep him alive just by limiting him mostly to friendly lands. I prefer the immortality thing personally just because it makes both of them far more scary and a far more constant threat if you're at war with them. No matter how strong I make either of them, they will die in the AI's hands if they fight a technologically advanced foe (especially if they fight me), and I'd rather they lived long violence filled lives personally :lol:

Yup, that's it. Not sure if it stops the trait loss though. As for the Mercurians, my favourite way is definitely through the Sidar. If you get the adapt thing going early you can have a really powerful partner and starting city.

It prevents trait loss, Basium must have died at least 15 times or so during my last game. :mischief:

Fantastic idea! Perhaps then you could finally remove AI_CityDefense (or what it's called exactly) from Hyborem so that he actually attacks his opponents, because these opponents could actually have done something against it by sanctifying their territory. On the other hand I would like Infernal territory (or perhaps hell terrain in general) have a similar effect as "General Winter" in Rhys' and Fall, because this would actually make it a special challenge to fight through the hell on earth.

Oh and don't play them like the AI ("I guess it'll be okay to send Basium into Clan lands alone. Oh look, he died. I'll do it again since he seems immortal"). NOT smart.

Don't lose your hero. Doing that will lose you your traits.
Does he have the immortal promo? i could sure use him to make the initial dent in hippus lands, even if the rest of the Order (and a FoL w/ a Grigori vassal) world minus Varn is already at his doorstep. He's also Order, so i'll be getting a lot of those 8 str angels w/ free exp (2 from iron, 1 from bless). Perfect to build up an army, aand a large empire to conquer the rest of em with. Gonna use the sacrifical priests cuz they got spirit guide and i get free angels. Im at altar IV.

I just thought I'd mention that letting Hyborem and Basium capture units they defeat in combat as Manes and Angels is both easy and fun. This can work the same way as Werewolf spawning does, which also means it only happens when the defeated units are living. It also makes the heroes harder to kill, as it means that an attack that weakens the unit will also likely spawn a unit to defend them. This is more true for Basium than Hyborem as Angels are stronger than Manes, but Basium also needs it more as he is not immortal.

Does Angel capable of getting a religion when they reborn? I think I never see one with religion. If Angel is blocked from getting religion, what is Seraph's Channeling+Divine for? (Seraph still have those promo, right?)

Angels are not built in cities, and so do not get a random religion.

Seraphim have Channeling and Divine because they haven't been updated from when those (plus the fire promotions) would allow them to cast Ring of Flames and Pillar of Fire.

In my version I like to make it so that Angels and Manes are created with whatever religion the unit had in life. This is an easy change, and it allows for religion specific abilities. I haven't really bothered trying to make angels/manes from razed cities have religions yet. I believe that you don't have to add the last field to the places where they are gifted, so long as you don't want them to have a religion.

This is the code I usually use (only the parts in bold are changes):

in C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2\Assets\python\CvEventManager.py
Code:
			if (unit.getReligion() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('RELIGION_COUNCIL_OF_ESUS') or unit.getReligion() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('RELIGION_THE_ASHEN_VEIL') or unit.getReligion() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('RELIGION_OCTOPUS_OVERLORDS') or unit.isHasPromotion(gc.getInfoTypeForString('PROMOTION_DEATH1')) or unit.isHasPromotion(gc.getInfoTypeForString('PROMOTION_ENTROPY1'))):
				cf.giftUnit(gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNIT_MANES'), gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_INFERNAL'), 0, unit.plot(), unit.getOwner(), [B]unit.getReligion()[/B])
				cf.giftUnit(gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNIT_MANES'), gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_INFERNAL'), 0, unit.plot(), unit.getOwner(), [B]unit.getReligion()[/B])

if (unit.getReligion() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('RELIGION_THE_EMPYREAN') or unit.getReligion() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('RELIGION_THE_ORDER') or unit.getReligion() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('RELIGION_RUNES_OF_KILMORPH') or pPlayer.getCivilizationType() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_MERCURIANS')):
				cf.giftUnit(gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNIT_ANGEL'), gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_MERCURIANS'), unit.getExperience(), unit.plot(), unit.getOwner(), [B]unit.getReligion()[/B])

in C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2\Assets\python\CustomFunctions.py:
Code:
	def giftUnit(self, iUnit, iCivilization, iXP, pFromPlot, iFromPlayer, [B]iReligion[/B]):
		iAngel = gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNIT_ANGEL')
		iManes = gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNIT_MANES')
		if (iUnit == iAngel or iUnit == iManes):
			iChance = 100 - (CyGame().countCivPlayersAlive() * 3)
			iChance = iChance + iXP
			if iChance < 5:
				iChance = 5
			if iChance > 95:
				iChance = 95
			if CyGame().getSorenRandNum(100, "Gift Unit") > iChance:
				iUnit = -1
		if iUnit != -1:
			for iPlayer in range(gc.getMAX_PLAYERS()):
				pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(iPlayer)
				if (pPlayer.isAlive()):
					if pPlayer.getCivilizationType() == iCivilization:
						py = PyPlayer(iPlayer)
						if pPlayer.getNumCities() > 0:
							iRnd = CyGame().getSorenRandNum(py.getNumCities(), "Gift Unit")
							pCity = py.getCityList()[iRnd]
							pPlot = pCity.plot()
							newUnit = pPlayer.initUnit(iUnit, pPlot.getX(), pPlot.getY(), UnitAITypes.NO_UNITAI, DirectionTypes.DIRECTION_NORTH)
							newUnit.changeExperience(iXP, -1, false, false, false)
							[B]
							newUnit.setReligion(iReligion)[/B]

if (pFromPlot != -1 and gc.getPlayer(iFromPlayer).isHuman()):
								if iUnit == iManes:
									CyInterface().addMessage(iFromPlayer,True,25,CyTranslator().getText("TXT_KEY_MESSAGE_UNIT_FALLS",()),'AS2D_UNIT_FALLS',1,'Art/Interface/Buttons/Promotions/Demon.dds',ColorTypes(7),pFromPlot.getX(),pFromPlot.getY(),True,True)
								if iUnit == iAngel:
									CyInterface().addMessage(iFromPlayer,True,25,CyTranslator().getText("TXT_KEY_MESSAGE_UNIT_RISES",()),'AS2D_UNIT_FALLS',1,'Art/Interface/Buttons/Promotions/Angel.dds',ColorTypes(7),pFromPlot.getX(),pFromPlot.getY(),True,True)
							if pPlayer.isHuman():
								if iUnit == iManes:
									CyInterface().addMessage(iPlayer,True,25,CyTranslator().getText("TXT_KEY_MESSAGE_ADD_MANES",()),'AS2D_UNIT_FALLS',1,'Art/Interface/Buttons/Promotions/Demon.dds',ColorTypes(7),pPlot.getX(),pPlot.getY(),True,True)
								if iUnit == iAngel:
									CyInterface().addMessage(iPlayer,True,25,CyTranslator().getText("TXT_KEY_MESSAGE_ADD_ANGEL",()),'AS2D_UNIT_FALLS',1,'Art/Interface/Buttons/Promotions/Angel.dds',ColorTypes(7),pPlot.getX(),pPlot.getY(),True,True)
							if (pPlayer.isHuman() == False and iUnit == iManes and pCity != -1):
								if CyGame().getSorenRandNum(100, "Manes") < (100 - (pCity.getPopulation() * 5)):
									pCity.changePopulation(1)
									newUnit.kill(True, PlayerTypes.NO_PLAYER)

What file should I change? Do I have to change variabels in bold only?

(I hope this doesn't go beyond my puny scripting skill...:D)

The bold are probably additions MC made to the code. He just added a new argument (the dying unit's religion) to the giftUnit() function, and made the function set the gifted unit's religion as well.

In my version I like to make it so that Angels and Manes are created with whatever religion the unit had in life.

It'd be cool if there were four separate spawns; Angels of Kilmorph, Angels of Lugus, Angels of Junil, and just normal Angels. It would definitely spice up the Mercurians.

It'd be cool if there were four separate spawns; Angels of Kilmorph, Angels of Lugus, Angels of Junil, and just normal Angels. It would definitely spice up the Mercurians.

We don't need that. I tried to modmod my game as MC's instruction and got a nice Angel with Order, Empy and ROK. When I upgraded those three into Seraph, I got three VERY nice Seraph. One capable of Bless+Unyielding Order, the other Revelation+Crown, the last one Shield of Faith+Earthquake. Looks like the gods have lent Basium their support! :lol: It's quite spice Mercurians up, imho. Lets hope that Kael doesnt take Channeling II+III from Seraph after this... :mischief:

Thank you very much, MC! Couldn't wait to play your modmod. :blush:

We don't need that. I tried to modmod my game as MC's instruction and got a nice Angel with Order, Empy and ROK. When I upgraded those three into Seraph, I got three VERY nice Seraph. One capable of Bless+Unyielding Order, the other Revelation+Crown, the last one Shield of Faith+Earthquake. Looks like the gods have lent Basium their support! :lol: It's quite spice Mercurians up, imho. Lets hope that Kael doesnt take Channeling II+III from Seraph after this... :mischief:

Thank you very much, MC! Couldn't wait to play your modmod. :blush:

sounds awesome :D

Why use a great engineer in a city with no buildings? Don't you want many buildings already in the city once you switch?

I would suggest preparing a nice capital, and move the palace once you have it nicely setup and before you get the tech for Merc Gate, or build a nice 2nd city for it.

Or another idea here is to use a Kuriotate city. Once it switches to Basium you simply upgrade another settlement to a city. So this city takes a little longer to regrow it still works for the Kurios. Of course, if you want to play Basium, then this formerly sprawling city should be quite powerful!

Best wishes,

Bruenor

Luchiurp work rather well. Pop their worldspell, settle them ALL in the same city and use one to fast build the gate itself. Easy way to get Basium on the field fast as well as giving them a rather good ally, as Garrim and Beeri are rather competent with everything BUT Barnaxus.

When I go for Basium, I set myself up with a good production city behind the rest of my settlements, and give it as much power as I can manage before I drop into it. That way any incursion goes through your former lands and you reap the benefits of casualties along the way.

I do recommend using an engineer to rush the gate, but Luicharp are not the best side to start with. Golems don't turn into angels, and you really want your warmongering ally to be a goody two shoes and die for your cause, instead of nothing.

Top Bottom