Dynamic Modifiers

Hickman888

Prince
There’s been some talk regarding modifiers recently, and I’m sympathetic to it. It can be frustrating to play an ancient civilization to the present, and just feel like you’re fighting bad modifiers, more than anything else. Really, your best option is to expand and take more cities, production, and commerce for your empire. This is okay, but it would be nice to have a more peaceful alternative to keeping up with the more up-and-coming civilizations.

So here’s my idea:

Each civilization has a National Prestige Bar. It is filled up by producing :culture:, from all of your cities. Upon filling your Prestige Bar, you will be greeted with a popup:

The prestige of our civilization has increased! Our expanding culture is giving birth to new ideas, inspiration, and a sense of pride in our people!

After this, all of your modifiers will become more efficient. Something small and barely noticeable, by 1-3%. The bar will then reset, and the next prestige will be harder to obtain, similar to Great People.

The amount of :culture: required to fill your prestige is based on a function of the total amount of population in your civilization. So a civilization with 5 cities of 5 population will fill their Prestige faster than a civilization with 5 cities of 10 population. The bar is dynamic, meaning that if you capture an enemy city, and therefore more population are within your empire, the Prestige Bar threshold will update by 50 :culture: a turn until the correct threshold is reached again.

Leoreth is considering some changes to We Love the King Day. Perhaps an additional feature of the new WLTKD can be that a celebrating city’s :culture: counts twice for the Prestige Bar.

I see this idea as solving several “issues” (as I see them) currently:

1.) Old civilizations need a way to improve their modifiers.
2.) :culture: is the worst commerce type to produce, and the only one that can’t be used to improve your economy. More reason needs to be given to the player to invest in :culture:. And Legendary cities should have their culture contribute towards something.
3.) “Wide” civilizations are always better than “tall” civilizations, with current Civ 4 mechanics. The maintenance and stability features are two systems implemented to help curtail going “wide.” The proposed Prestige Bar is another soft feature to help going tall be a valid strategy.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

:dance:

My proposals, which I didn't flesh out as I felt the discussion had strayed from being useful, are currently:
* All modifiers tend towards 100% in later eras.
* Certain buildings, civics and wonders can be constructed in combination to alleviate bad modifiers, perhaps buildings that are lower priority eg Wharf and Star Fort.
* Older wonders and buildings can be exploited by later-era techs to generate commerce. Akin to the Hotel as is, or Civ 5's archaeology mechanic.

My proposals, which I didn't flesh out as I felt the discussion had strayed from being useful, are currently:
* All modifiers tend towards 100% in later eras.
* Certain buildings, civics and wonders can be constructed in combination to alleviate bad modifiers, perhaps buildings that are lower priority eg Wharf and Star Fort.
* Older wonders and buildings can be exploited by later-era techs to generate commerce. Akin to the Hotel as is, or Civ 5's archaeology mechanic.
We currently have a feature where every building that produces at least two :culture: and is at least 1000 years old produces even more :culture:. I like your last idea there, I think there’s more potential possible with old buildings/wonders.

Top Bottom