Climate: NORMAL.
LandForm: ARCHIPELAGO.
Map Size: STANDARD.
Ocean Coverage: 60%.
Temperature: COOL.
World Age: 3 BILLION YEARS.
World seed: 42776459

Variant Rules:

Arathorn's Defiant Variant with the added requirement of only Despotism, Feudalism, and Fascism for governments.

Arathorn said:
Defiant Variant: You must never give in to a demand from an opponent, that is, you always reject demands for tribute. You may never ally, sign a Right of Passage, MPP, or embargo with another civilization. You may never pay for peace (a peace treaty must either be straight-up or the opponent gives a concession to you. A deal where a tech costs 20 gpt normally and you pay 10 gpt for that tech as part of a peace treaty is fine). Any troops on your soil must be given a boot order every turn. No capturing foreign cities or demanding them in diplomacy. No foreign workers merged into existing cities. If an AI razes one of your cities, that civ must be eliminated.

Roster Complete

SesnOfWthr
Sir Bugsy
DeceasedHorse
SirLenTaft
Bede
scoutsout

Start Position:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads7/Bede02TheStart.SAV

Strict 24hrs to post got it/24hrs from got it to post log and save/48hrs total. All requests for skips automatically honored. (Please include an order of go at the end of your turnlog).

Thanks to LKendter for developing definitive rules of non-exploitative play:

LKendter said:
The following tactics are PROHIBITED:

RoP Rape - if you have to ask...

RoP Abuse that includes things such as irrigating all tiles with a city building wonders, denying resources with a RoP, putting a unit to block a land bridge, etc.

Scout resource denial - parking a scout on a resource, as the AI won't ask scouts to leave. The same scenario also applies to workers.

False Peace Treaties (must wait for the 20 years to end).

The negative science exploit - you can run a huge deficit (-250 / turn) of negative cash with a token penalty of one lost worker / cheap building. If cash will go below zero, the research level must be dropped.

Ship chaining exploit - you can move a ship, unload troops to another ship, move that ship, etc. This allows you to ship an indefinite distance, and that is why I consider it an exploit.

Resources disconnect / connect exploit - I consider most resource tactics fine. Delaying to hook a resource, trading it away etc is fine. The exploit is to do this every turn. Build a stack of horses, connect saltpeter, upgrade to cavalry, and disconnect.

Palace Jump - You abandon the capital city to move the palace to a new location. If you want to move the palace, build a new palace.

House rules:
1) Worker automation of any kind is prohibited.
2) No worker purchases during the first 50 turns to avoid civ crippling.
3) Declaring war / demanding leave solely for the purpose of getting out of trade deals. This includes nonsense spying simply to force a war. Stealing techs is fine.
4) Even if not covered under exploits listed, please try not to use tactics that take advantage of holes in the game design.
5) Our trading reputation is golden - please respect it.
6) Complete your turn. It is frustrating to get a 1/2 completed turn.

Bede's reminder to the scribes: All of us here are sufficently familiar with the mechanics of the game that detailed turn logs are not necessary. Report significant events like trades, wonder starts, wars(!), peace treaties....The reasoning, the whys and wherefores, IMNSHO, makes more interesting reading than the detailed steps of execution.

So, who wants to go first? (20 turns the first round of play, ten thereafter)

Checking in. Subscribing. Not all that anxious to go first, but I'll take up the gauntlet if no one else will.

I wouldn't mind a casual start, not LeMans, so we can wait for the rest of the team to check in, I think.

I'll go first if you wish honorable Bede-sama. I can play during lunch tomorrow. Looks like a settle on the spot. Shall I go pottery at max?

Btw, What level is this?

Domo arigato, Bugsy-san.

It's Demigod.

Samurai need cups for sake and cha, go for it.

Has anybody considered ICS and Feudalism?

Feudalism is one of our three allowed governments (Despotism, Feudalism. Fascism).

So ICS is definitely the way to go (thematically flavorrful as well).

Order of go
Sir Bugsy-Samurai prime-playing now
SirLenTaft-European, no? So if you play after SirB, that will support an east-west rotation-on deck
SesnOfWthr-NY
DeceasedHorse-'Bama, no? so you're CDT
Bede-EDT
scoutsout-EDT, in this slot by request

If somebody with a more graphic imagination can put together an order that works better, please go ahead

Bede said:
SesnOfWthr-NY

I have no gripe with your roster, other than the two letters next to my name.

Come on Bede, you're capable of a far better joke than that one. :p

Sesn - I live in Washington state and am an avid Sox fan (OK, I spent a great deal of time in Maine). Red Sox nation is everywhere. Yes, even in NY. :hatsoff:

BTW- I got it. Expect the first dispatches on the new Nippon in about 4-5 hours.

Don't get me wrong, I know the believers are nationwide (case in point: recent series against Colorado and SF where Sox got bigger cheers than the hometeam), but I'm far too brash and outspoken in my support of the Sox to last more than a week or so in NY.

No matter, I'll stop the threadjack here. :)

Playing on 1.22. Shogun Bugsy ascends the throne. (well not really a throne, more like a piece of rock that isn’t quite level and it makes your butt hurt if you sit on it too long.)

Move the worker to the wheat, then settler in place. I place the citizen on the BG to get a warrior in five. I go pottery at max, due in 23.

First warrior is produced in 3800 BC, he is named Ichiro. He runs up the wheat road to the hill and sees a great body of water about five tiles away. Shogun Bugsy calls it the “sea.” “Such wisdom,” the people say.

In 3550 BC, Ichiro, who has been traveling north, sees some rolling hills north of our city. That year also see the graduation from our Boot Camp of our second warrior. Our expanding boarder pops the hut and disturbs some yokels. The new warrior, dubbed Nissan, fortifies in the capitol for defensive purposes.

All three barbs head our way, and then threaten our worker. The worker is recalled from the fields for protection.

In 3400 BC – a third warrior is graduated from boot camp and the barbs start destroying improvements. :cringe: The new warrior is named Mitsu. He attacks the pillaging barb and is slightly wounded while removing the barbarian’s head.

On the next turn, brave Mitsu sustains another more severe wound, as he collects the heads of the remaining barbarians. Shogun Bugsy rewards Mitsu with elite status for his courage. With our city safe, Bugsy sends Nissan to explore the uncharted western lands.

In 3300 BC, a fourth warrior is produced, named Shigo. (yes, I’m trying to use Japanese numbers). Pottery is due in eight turns, I decide to build a barracks. It appears we will be able to set up a five or six turn settler-warrior factory. The barracks will help us there.

Shigo is sent to the east, Nissan to the west reports a coastline quite close. Ichiro finds a northern coastline. Could we be all alone?

Ichiro finds some horses along the northwestern coast.

In 3100 BC, our new barracks is completed, and the foundation for a new building is begun. Shogun Bugsy tells the Shinto priests that they are building a temple, but he has seen the work of his scientists and plans on making the new building a granary when the new pottery technology is announced.

It appears there won’t be anything but water to our east.

After Action Report: Switch over the temple to a granary when pottery comes in. It appears we will probably need go for Alphabet next and settle on the coast for a curraugh. I would then go towards Philosophy and get Map Making as the free teach and try for the lighthouse since I think we are all by ourselves. There is a chance to the southwest for a land brige, but I’m not holding my breath.

Save: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads7/Bede02,_3000_BC.SAV

Roster Check:

Sir Bugsy - Just played
SirLenTaft - Up
SesnOfWthr - On deck
DeceasedHorse
Bede
scout

Some early dot map ideas. I would use red dot for a curraugh/lighthouse/galley production center.

Blue dot can probably build workers, we'll need a lot up in our northern hills.

Yellow and green dots would grab the wheat and the water.

Wheat, water, and sugar...Suntori!

Hills and mountains for iron and other goodies and an island to ourselves...nice beginning I say.

'Twere I, send the curragh out of yellow dot, as red dot is near the bottom of the map and there is a warrior that will open that area for us shortly. We seem to be bang in the middle of the map, so I guess it's really a horse apiece.

Nice go, Bugsy

Given my first experience with a hut, I decided not to pop the two to the south. In my experience, demi-god huts are next to worthless. Maybe go down there with several units to whack the barbs when they pop out :hammer:

Sir Bugsy said:
Fish & whale => sushi & kujira!!
Hey - is it too late to add the GOTM Squid unit?

It looks like we've got a little breathing room to start with, which is nice...

@ Bugsy: Do you see any way to tighten the build a little bit? IIRC, towns give us more support than cities under feudalism... a nice tight build with lots of little bitty towns might give us some decent unit support...

Oh, yes! a tight build is what we want. I just thought we would want to nab those spots first and fill in the rest later. If we are by ourselves, then the spot on the southern coast would be good for the lighthouse.

Ok, I'm finally here. :)
European as said, Swede to be exact. I'll play it tomorrow, a bit to late right now.

I would go for the the yellow dot as the second city, building the curragh if we're alone. The red dot will likely need more military protection, but there's always a small chance for a goodie! ;)
Still a good spot that should be settled early...
If we want to tighten the city placement, we could move the green dot to steps NW, fit in one city on the hill south if the current green dot and put another city two steps NE of the green dot. Not as good, but if we want it tight...

I actually live in Southern California, so I'm on Pacific standard time.

Oh, checking in. And tight builds or no, we need to get a city down near that lake ASAP so we can get some fresh water over to that wheat and down south to the plains.

Top Bottom