1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beginners Guide

Discussion in 'Strategy and tips' started by Stelmack, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Rodnok

Rodnok Prince

that was it, thanks!

2. zeinul

zeinul Warlord

can someone explain me research in v25? I was getting 180 beakers and only half of it went into ancient age techs.

3. BlueGenie

BlueGenie Emperor

4. zeinul

zeinul Warlord

thanks

5. georgjorge

georgjorge Deity Wannabe

I've just started playing and love the atmosphere but I'm also a bit lost...

1. How do Neanderthals and Wild Animals spawn? It's definitely not like in BTS where they only appear on fogged tiles...and are Animals more likely to spawn on the corresponding ressource tiles?

2. There are just sooo many techs it's overwhelming...are there any early beelines that people could recommend? I just aim for the early research buildings, 3-strength units and then click on Tribalism to get there as fast as possible...

But as I said, this mod is really addictive! I love hunting + subduing animals for ressources and having to build lots of units just to get a little outside my own culture...

6. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

There are restrictions in latitude/longitude, resources, features, terrain and they can spawn outside cultural borders regardless of the fog of war.
    So depending on where in the world you are and what your surroudings look like you will get different animals.

7. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Sounds about right to me. I usually go for a religion as well (Shamanism normally) and then get Boats and Animal Riding before beelining Sedentary Lifestyle.

8. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

1. Wanderers (nomadic lifestyle)
    2. Stone tools workshop (hard hammer)
    3. Ritualism (but make sure you build cave dwelling just before the research completes else you'll lose a free golden age)
    4. Tribalism or raft building (depends on terrain)
    5. Tribalism if the previous wasnt

Change civics to native language and oral tradition when your cave dwelling gden age starts. You should get to switch to folklore in the same golden age before it finishes also.

9. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

I avoid ritualism for nearly as long as possible and get the national wonder that gives you a golden age (which goes obsolete at ritualism). So I get a bunch of production and +food buildings etc b4 this, I basically build 0 units early game unless I really have to. Your free city defender guy is super strong so don't worry. Only concern is Neanderthals coming in and pillaging, so I usually have 1 or 2 nice melee bonus guys around for this.
    I don't build wanderers really, maybe 2 or 3 to grab close by goody huts but thats it. They will just die anyway, I prefer to wait for trackers or scouts.

Then I beeline straight for tribalism so I can build 3 cities.

If you have tech trading on, shoot straight for writing from here, and save up spy points on one guy so you can steal some techs if need be.
    Once I get chiefdom, get your 6 cities ASAP, I often will build 7 or maybe even 8 if they are good spots and I have some happy resources.

Have your tribes ready to go if you want, you can even rest them in the square you want to build your planned cities.

This is a pretty good guide to the prehistoric era imo. Try and avoid AI civs totally (as long as you got room). Its better to be friends (trade + tech), and just pick them off if they become weak.

Doing this you'll beat deity ez, although its suddenly got a lot harder with the new crime ++ :)
    This is my general plan anyway.

10. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

I was thinking maybe Cave Dwelling should go obsolete later. Originally it was made for Prehistoric NWA and we have had many redos of the prehistoric era. Perhaps it should go obsolete at something like Tribalism.

11. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Avoiding Ritualism any longer than necessary to allow you to build Cave Dwelling is (IMO) sub-optimal, because Elder Councils require it, and are a HUGE prehistoric science bonus.

Seconded

12. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

:yup: Sounds good for me.

13. georgjorge

georgjorge Deity Wannabe

Thanks for all the replies! Now I'm not as lost as I was before...I played on towards Writing with a detour for Animal Riding to take an enemy capital (I was boxed in). Still loving this mod though maybe I'll have to ask for advice again once I reach new techs.

14. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

Is it possible to play team games with AI in civ4? I've never tried. Like a 2v2v2v2 or something. More specifically - is it possible in c2c? Anyone tried?

Here's a basic tip also~ If you playing on large map or bigger definately always have max tracker/hunters and just put them on auto-hunt. I personally change auto-hunt setting in the BUG menu (the little lady bug under automation) to 70% minimum. I think the default is 60% or maybe even 50%! If you playing on emperor/immortal/deity, you get like a -40% vs barbarians which isn't factored in to your auto-hunt guys im pretty sure so keep this in mind. Besides there is nothing worse than idiotic hunters suiciding into Neanderthals. If they die because Neanderthals attacked - no problem. If they die because they attacked the neanderthal like wannabe rambo's.. big problem :D

15. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

Here's a general question while im here:
    How many gatherers do you usually have around the time of tribalism > sedentary lifestyle.
    I remember as a general rule (for civ4 bts) you want 1.5 workers per base. I think during this time I want more 3 to 4 per base since they are slow to finish improvements and are sacrificed.
    How many do you guys get?

I also find that over building workers is a good way to get cash when you delete them later. Its like $60 or $80 each if I remember correctly and you can build them pretty darn fast, especially if your running slavery or are expansionist trait. Maybe this needs a nerf? :mischief:
    I seriously abuse the crap outta this tho :lol:
    Worker trading with advanced diplomacy is even worse - I never have this on, AI sometimes pays like $350-$450! Even like 3 workers and like $100 for a good tech (that was awhile ago that I tried this tho might have changed).
    I can have like 8 workers per base if my eco can still sustain profit and not stop till everything is improved.
    I never cut down my trees until I at least get the minimum hammers for it tho.
    Often I find myself building roads on every single tile even outside my borders :lmao:

16. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Usually I improve all my main city's land. Then I build 3 with each tribe to be used up. I usually have about 6 gatherers wandering around when I get to sedentary life style.

The money you get back is directly related to the cost in :hammers: to build. So the only way to reduce the money received would be to reduce the cost to build.

Yes the price paid for workers is OP.

This is necessary still. I am still finding some stacks will avoid roads (placing an early merchant in a stack seems to guarantee this) and others will go around cities rather than go on the road through the city, especially if not doing so would leave the stack in a city at the end of the move.

I usually build best roads to my next set of cities before I am ready to build the cities.