Bermuda Triangle

Mercenary Gen.

Chieftain
Wouldn't it be cool if in Civ4 there would be a sort of bermuda triangle where occasionaly ships just sink for no good reason.
I think it would add a bit to the game. You could even work a different kind of strategy off it.:nuke:

Just build privateers and get the boats ;)

Or just send your galleys or caravels into ocean squares before you have magnetism

Apparently they added some disasters like volcanoes to Civ 3: Conquests. Maybe it's in there.:confused:

I thought planes supposedly dissapear in the Bermuda Triangle mysteriously, not ships.

I wouldn't like it, because it would add to the aspect of luck to the game, and there's already enough of that.

Scientists think that ships and aircraft disappear because of large amounts of gas (forgot what it was called) under the ocean floor. When the gas is released there is not enough buoyancy in the water and so ships sink. When the gas goes high in the atmosphere it goes into the engines of aircraft and they just explode.

Besides, according to what I've read, the statistics show that there are no more ships lost in that area than any other area with roughly the same conditions.

Originally posted by civrules
Scientists think that ships and aircraft disappear because of large amounts of gas (forgot what it was called) under the ocean floor. When the gas is released there is not enough buoyancy in the water and so ships sink. When the gas goes high in the atmosphere it goes into the engines of aircraft and they just explode.

It's the methane gas that scientists think causes the effects of the Bermuda triangle

Originally posted by Panzar75
Besides, according to what I've read, the statistics show that there are no more ships lost in that area than any other area with roughly the same conditions.
Exactly - it's an area with a lot of shipping lanes, military and pleasure traffic. Based on the number of ships sailing in the triangle in a given period of time, statistically it's no more dangerous than other areas of the ocean.
I'd still like to know what happened to the Marie Celeste .
On-topic, I'm not sure this is one of the disasters I'd like to see in Conquest. Typhoons/hurricanes, maybe - the sinking of the Spanish Armada?

Originally posted by Mercenary Gen.
Wouldn't it be cool if in Civ4 there would be a sort of bermuda triangle where occasionaly ships just sink for no good reason.
I think it would add a bit to the game. You could even work a different kind of strategy off it.:nuke:

WHOHO

With my new unit movement model (http://www2.vhl.tudelft.nl/~emile/civilization/unit_movement_model.html for a glance at the certain movement types) that IS POSSIBLE (Im such a genius :) :D :) :D).
Another proof that my idea is THE way to go for Civ4

1) You need a tyle "dangerous-sea" which just looks like the sea tyle.
2) You allow all sea units to move to that tyle.
3) You set "HP loss prob-ratio" = 1 AND "Number of lost HPs" = 1000 (always dead)

Another idea

Did you notice that modders use the resource pcx to add things like "stonehenge", "lost city".
They are not really resources in the game but they are meant for decoration of their mod.

For Civ4 they had better add something new to the game like: tyle opbjects which can have a function.

eg:
- if you enter a lost city in the jungle your unit will die.
- a bermuda triangle. If a ship ends on the sea tyle with that "tyle object" he will sink.

once I read that under the water in that triangle the ancient capitol of Atlantis was located
who knows, could be...

Originally posted by Punkymonkey

It's the methane gas that scientists think causes the effects of the Bermuda triangle

Ah, yes that is it.

Originally posted by civrules

Note that ascending gas could also cripple aircraft's "buoyancy", if that gas had a lower density than air. And that gas wouldn't normally ascend in atmosphere if its density was lower than air's density. Theoretically, a sailplain could crash like an engine-driven aircraft then, no need for an explosion.

As for the Bermuda Triangle, I'm actually fine with unexpected unit fading due to odd RNG results.

It would have to be a feature that you enabled or disabled.
I dont really want it in any games that I play as it would bug the s*** out of me especially if you had a transport with 8 units moving to a battle zone and they were they essential to taking a region or city and they got lost or sunk on the way.

But no-one builds a navy anyway so why would these square add anything to the game you don't even fly missions over the as you can't reach other lands and other nations don't even build navys.
PS
Sir Eric I believe my sig is from the same movie as yours

Originally posted by immortal_empire
But no-one builds a navy anyway so why would these square add anything to the game you don't even fly missions over the as you can't reach other lands and other nations don't even build navys.
PS
Sir Eric I believe my sig is from the same movie as yours

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elder berries, I fart in your general direction you crazy inglish knivett. Now go away or I will taunt you a second time".
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"we want a.....shrubery"

I have that song about brave sir robin playing when I turn off the PC

"I thought we were an autonomas collective"
"Nah yer kidin yerself were a dictatorship"
The life of Brian is still funier but i think i would get banned for some of it and i would find it too much of a temptation to say "always sh*t on the south side of the bridge" humber bridge I live in Hull and S****horpe is on the south.

When Danger Rears Its Ugly Head,
Sir Robin Turned His Tail And Fled,
Brave Brave Brave Brave Sir Robin,
Turning around and bugering off,
Going away and chickening out brave brave Sir Robin.

Bright Side of Life
Always look on the bright side of life.
[whistling]
Always look on the light side of life.
[whistling]
If life seems jolly rotten,
There's something you've forgotten,
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
When you're feeling in the dumps,
Don't be silly chumps.
Just purse your lips and whistle. That's the thing.
And...
[whistling]
Always look on the right side of life,
[whistling]
For life is quite absurd
And death's the final word.
You must always face the curtain with a bow.
Forget about your sin.
Give the audience a grin.
Enjoy it. It's your last chance, anyhow.
So,...
Always look on the bright side of death,
[whistling]
Just before you draw your terminal breath.
[whistling]
Life's a piece of sh*t,
When you look at it.
Life's a laugh and death's a joke. It's true.
You'll see it's all a show.
Keep 'em laughing as you go.
Just remember that the last laugh is on you.
And...
[whistling]
Always look on the right side of life.
[whistling]
Always look on the bright side of life!
[whistling]
[whistling]
[whistling]