1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Berzerker vs. Lemon Merchant

Discussion in 'Infraction Review' started by leif erikson, Aug 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Berzerker is appealing two moderator actions. The first is a 2-point infraction for trolling in this post while the second is a 3-day thread ban from the same thread.

The original infraction message:
    Berzerker,

Your message (Baking Cakes and Discrimination: Or, "What Would Jesus Do?") constitutes trolling under our rules:
    "Yes to the last question" is referring to my question whether he would consent to having the Conversations made public in the Appeals thread in Site Feedback.
    This is the discussion of the infraction and thread ban between Berzerker and Lemon Merchant (referred to as me in the discussion below):

From Berzerker:
    From me:
    Berzerker:
    Me:
    Berzerker:
    Me:
    Berzerker:
    Me:
    Berzerker:
    ------------------------------------------

I have not had the opportunity to answer his last three responses. I added ori to the conversation in hopes that he might see it and offer some insight on how I should respond.

I gave Berzerker the three day thread ban for indirectly calling Lexicus a racist. I felt he was further trolling in the thread after he had been warned. Perhaps I erred. I don't know enough of American history to know if Lincoln was really a racist or not, but it seemed to me that Berzerker was making the comment to say that Lincoln was a racist, Lexicus compared himself to Lincoln, therefore Lexicus is also a racist.

As for the first infraction, as you can see from one of my responses, I detailed what I thought was the transgression. He was combative, and clearly looking for an argument. I don't buy his assertion that he didn't see ori's posts. At the very least, he says he saw them after his own. He could have edited his own post and made it less accusatory and less confrontational. Berzerker has made it a habit of trolling in threads lately. Arakhor has noticed it too. As for myself, perhaps I was too hard on him, I don't know. I tend to second guess myself after the fact.

Sorry for the length of this one.

2. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

Sorry for not seeing this for five weeks. :blush:

Is there any way to see who posted what when, if a post is more than a week old? I want to see how far apart the modtext message is from Berzerker's post, to see if his claim that he cross-posted with ori's modtext is plausible. But all I see is the day of the posts, not the time. Is the time stored anywhere?

3. leif erikson

4. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

so lets rule on this - his post came 17 minutes after mine so the claim that he did not see the mod text is at least plausible and the problematic bits are without the mod text warning probably not much above what would trigger an action by us. So I would suggest reversing the warning.

5. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

6. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Agree to reverse.

7. Bootstoots

I concur - we should reverse.

8. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I agree with reversing both moderator actions, but for a different reason. I don't think ori's warning is particularly relevant; it's not like the warning suddenly made trolling against the rules or changed the standard by which a post should be judged. Whether or not Berzerker saw the warning, the question is simply whether what he posted qualifies as trolling in a non-RD thread. I do not see how it does. I'm struggling to see how it would qualify as trolling, even if in an RD thread. I don't think the PM exchange sufficiently identifies which parts of the posts are supposedly problematic. In relation to the first post, perhaps it is, "You seem to really hate questions, did the teeth on your saw dull?" In the second post, it has to be "wasn't Lincoln a racist?" The first is not a particularly profound contribution to the discussion, and the second is a purposeless non-sequitur. But I don't think either of things are trolling.

9. Bootstoots

I think we can finally close this appeal now. @leif erikson, will you do the honors?

10. leif erikson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.