Best Civ for Real Start Earth Map in VI

Finally got some time to almost finish my Victoria TSL Earth game. Very fun stuff. I am definitely going to try several of the other civs on this map.

Redcoats are off the hook. With all of my early teching along the sailing line, I fell way behind on everything else. My land units were about 1 full era behind everyone else, almost across the board. I should have just teched straight to Redcoats, but I meandered a bit to include Education and Ballistics. Redcoats are 82 combat strength after their first promotion and while fighting on a different continent than Europe. Crazy powerful. Made sweeping the Kongo cities on the interior of Africa a total breeze and he was about 8 techs ahead of me at the time. Everyone else had coastal or near coastal capitals. Just a matter of sweeping the frigates around to those.

If you liked Victoria try Japan and Norway next! My favorite is China, such an awesome starting location.

Last edited:
I haven't tried China at all yet. I might play them next. Japan is also intriguing given how well the pure naval strategy seems to work. Norway is always a favorite of mine in these games. I'm pretty sure that I have some Viking blood coursing through my veins.

I haven't tried China at all yet. I might play them next. Japan is also intriguing given how well the pure naval strategy seems to work. Norway is always a favorite of mine in these games. I'm pretty sure that I have some Viking blood coursing through my veins.
I like playing as China, but I hate playing against them. China is always pissed at me because I build wonders.

I just finished a domination game with Japan. It took until turn 343 which is 1922AD. I quickly discovered China, India, and Australia were not in the game which threw off my strategy. Instead of going to war quickly I instead colonized all the Pacific islands and Australia before starting my naval conquest. This allowed the other AIs to get far ahead. In retrospect I shouldn't have spend so much time making settlers and builders and improving the land on all the islands. I should have colonized the mainland and gone to war quicker. But it was a fun game.

I just finished a domination game with Japan. It took until turn 343 which is 1922AD. I quickly discovered China, India, and Australia were not in the game which threw off my strategy. Instead of going to war quickly I instead colonized all the Pacific islands and Australia before starting my naval conquest. This allowed the other AIs to get far ahead. In retrospect I shouldn't have spend so much time making settlers and builders and improving the land on all the islands. I should have colonized the mainland and gone to war quicker. But it was a fun game.

I had a similar game with Japan, the whole Asia and Oceania was empty and the nearest AI was Gilgamesh in the Middle East. In domination games you just have to go with the domination and if there isn't any AIs you need to take on the CSs. So That means Jakarta, Seoul and Hong Kong. Then you should get Frigates ASAP and go for Africa and Middle East.

When you are using China , do you conquer Hong Kong or Allie it?

Conquer it every time. Seoul I usually leave with Jakarta. Kabul is rightfully mine also.

For Kongo players on the TSL Map , do you guys conquer Zanzibar for yourself or try and suzerain it because while Zanzibar has a very good location its suzerain bonuses in my opinion is one of the best in the game .

Never conquer a money makes, especially as you get the first money there.
Equally you also have Kumasi which is in my opinion one of the best in the game.
I keep both and take the whole of Africa... You can share Kilimanjaro with Zanzibar and you get the productive side.

Brazil, Congo and Australia all have great areas to grow into without being violent.

When you are using China , do you conquer Hong Kong or Allie it?
Played china two times, both times I conquered them. It's way too close and it gets too many useful tiles. Industrial CS is also less useful in early stage.

China IMHO is one of the top 3 in TSL earth. Production strong capital, many CS under control, not as crowded like in Europe but not totally isolated. Early rush resource-rich India and the whole Asia continent is yours. Then one can decide to be a peaceful builder, conquer europe or middle East, beeline shipbuilding to conquer Japan or go south east to take Australia. There is also a big stretch of hilly desert nearby to build Petra (need a bit of investment to buy tiles, also need an aqueduct). Very enjoyable experience.

I don't know about the best, but I certainly enjoy Japan the most and their position does seem quite strong. You don't really need to concern yourself with any military or even worry about barbarians. Options for colonizing exist both in SE asia and korea, and you can conquer mainland the mainland whether China is in the game or not.

I imagine a game between players where China and Japan are both in the game would make for an interesting game. But as it stands right now I feel that having an A.I. China in the game basically gives a Human playing Japan a free empire that's going to build itself before you swoop in and take it. Conversely, if China isn't in the game then Japan has all the room in the world.

I typically conquer Seoul early since I put two cities on Japan - the first I put on the Dye, but there appears to be a bug where if you discover a CS with your settler before you settle your first city, you don't get the first envoy bonus despite having the envoy there. So I just take the city for myself. Usually with the two galley's I build to unlock shipbuilding quick enough to keep expanding early. 2 ships and the starting warrior are enough to take the city.

I look forward to the day when North America could start with an indigenous civ or two.

Definitely!

I only play Giant Earth Map, ludicrous size i.e. 230 x 115 hexes. The TSL
maps released with Civ6 are far too small and dull for me.

I think at least two native American civs are needed: one to counter Teddy in the
North and another for Pedro in the South America.

It also needs at least another two civs in Asia, e.g.Lapita/Siam/Vietnam/Indonesia
to contain China and and Tamil/Indus/Other? to hold India in a bit.

Another couple of North/Central African Civs would help stop Congo's dominance
a bit, e.g. Morocco and Askia from Civ5.

Rushed to Berserkers. They are tricky to use, but pretty good once you get the hang of them. They expire pretty fast however, but that is really not a big deal cause you are getting Musketmen out of them! They work well with the free embark cause you can pull back to open waters and heal.

Attachments

• 2017-03-26 (1).png
    2017-03-26 (1).png
    4.1 MB · Views: 238
Since it removes the movement penalties for units embarking and disembarking.

Edit: OH! No, you cannot heal units in those cities. The harbor just made the exploit happen.

TSL - where is the gysum?

Spain has a naval warfare start also. His trade routes are extremely good, Conquistadors are uber and the +4 strength for every unit against other religions is good too.

Attachments

• 2017-03-27 (6).png
    2017-03-27 (6).png
    4.3 MB · Views: 292
Top Bottom