Best Civ for Real Start Earth Map in VI

T300 is terrible
So the secret is to rush toward battleships... not for the battleships but for the redcoats. Leave a couple of coastal cities for redcoats, when you take them you get a free redcoat and if you get them soon enough, no-one can stop you snowballing inwards with a bit of artillery.
You have to concentrate on science, proper, seriously concentrate. Chopping in campuses and getting science projects going really helps.
No granaries, they just make cities too large, all you need is campuses and a few cities with commercial hub/city centre/RNDY triangles for enough trade routes.... great Zimbabwe if you find the possibility soon enough.

So the secret is to rush toward battleships... not for the battleships but for the redcoats. Leave a couple of coastal cities for redcoats, when you take them you get a free redcoat and if you get them soon enough, no-one can stop you snowballing inwards with a bit of artillery.
You have to concentrate on science, proper, seriously concentrate. Chopping in campuses and getting science projects going really helps.
No granaries, they just make cities too large, all you need is campuses and a few cities with commercial hub/city centre/RNDY triangles for enough trade routes.... great Zimbabwe if you find the possibility soon enough.
Yeah I also usually go for Venetian arsenal for the double in ships. I rush my RNDY an usually have the fleet and armada great admirals. I also build mausoleum of h. for the two armadas early. I get frigates before turn 150 an take Australia. That usually catches me up in science and culture. Then I use Australia to spam land units an artillery for Asia, while my homeland focuses on North Africa an the Middle East. I think if I'm able to spam some knights while sailing to Australia, I can then take Africa an the Middle East earlier. I've never tried for the great Zimbabwe. Thanks for the pointers. Should I neglect ship yards an the Venetian arsenal to rush battleships earlier, or should I still take that path and then rush battleships?

It just seems like China pulls away in science by way to much to take over early.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I also usually go for Venetian arsenal for the double in ships
VA is a waste IMO... 5 frigates (2 armadas), 2 caravels and 1 sea dog armada is plenty. The sea dog armada will give you more navy if you need it. Mausoleum yes, those double charge admirals are very admirable, the great lighthouse is great for whizzing around faster and cheap enough. beyond that the coliseum is good but not much else, all that production could be pumped into science

It just seems like China pulls away in science by way to much to take over early
You would be amazed how fast you start catching up and the idea is not to win in science but to get to redcoats fast, they are scary once you get them, you do not even have to build them, they grow with every city taken. They are Englands greatest asset, so use them.

Been doing some testing using Gedemon 180x94 and 230x115 map using every Civ except the ones with multiple leaders (I.E. only one Greece)

Just wanted to see how the AI plays it, not really trying to win myself just easying my way through to see what happens....and yeah, highly biased games, those maps really need some counter Civs. In every of those 10 games AI Kongo, America, Brazil, India and Australia are superpowers by mid-late game while most of Europe is stuck 2 ages behind them, it feels like there needs to be 1 or 2 more Civs to hold America, Aztecs got wiped in every game, 1 to hold Brazil, 1 or 2 more in Africa to hold Kongo, Egypt usually bites the dust and so does Nubia...India just kinda of depends to where China or Persia decides to expand, thought 1 more SE civ would balance things better.

I play exclusively on Gedemon's giant Earth map, and have very much enjoyed this thread. So far, most of my play time has been with England, Russia, and Germany. Have attempted games as America, as well as China and Japan, but have found those games lonely and uninteresting. As the previous poster said, they need more civs to balance out the Americas and SE Asia. I may need to give a Middle East civ a crack, recreate the Arabian caliphate perhaps. For balance, I prefer to limit it to old world civs and exclude Australia. Hoping Nubia will prevent Kongo from running away.

Deity France. I changed the way I did this completely and seems to work well. Just push Germany a little bit to the right by settling Paris near the sea and you can steal one settler from him also and settle Rouen. One warrior was enough to keep Trajan off and then I build 2 Slingers to keep both Philip and Frederick at bay.

Then just build your navy up and running. Victoria was my first target, took Manchester first, then Carthage, London, Rome, Aachen and Madrid. Now I'm going for Kongo.

Last edited:
There you go, turn 192 domination victory with Catherine on deity, surrounded by Trajan, Philip, Frederick and Victoria. Could have shaved some turns off by being more focused on what I was doing.

Attachments

• CATHERINE DE MEDICI 192 1310 AD.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 302
Last edited:
@Victoria You wanna try this one? Play with Cleopatra and have atleast Saladin, Mvemba, Gilgamesh and Trajan near you.

wtf! ... thats not really what I call a start
EDIT: But it seems to work OK
upload_2017-10-1_22-17-56.png

Last edited:
Yeah, seems like the AI won't come at you before it settles a city. I did not have Gilgamesh on my game so he could settle to the middle east and came at my capital with all his warriors.

Last edited:
Great thread! I tried Harald and got a turn 143 dom victory on deity. Was really sloppy on my part taking Athens because they had 10 archers chewing up my two caravels. Also had to take frigates all the way over from Spain to Pasargade. I wasn't very happy with zerkers. Frigates are a higher priority imho.

Those longships are deadly so it was really easy taking out Vicky early. After that it got a bit trickier and my only choice was to sail the Mediterranean and take Carthage to launch my future attacks on Sparta and Athens. Had to wait to upgrade to caravels to take Athens and it was swarming with archers and horses making for a long siege. My science was horrible so it took forever to get Frigates and then I had to sail them down Africa to take out Cyrus.

I can do a lot better but now I want to try a different civ first before trying Harald again.

P.S. Sorry for the Russian language screenshot and save. I turn it on frequently to build up my vocabulary. I'm a Russian language major at college so as much expose as possible helps!

Attachments

• CivilizationVI 2017-10-02 20-20-15-89.png
    CivilizationVI 2017-10-02 20-20-15-89.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 353
  • ХАРАЛЬД СУРОВЫЙ 143 640 н. э. наконец.Civ6Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
Cleo seems very interesting to play. She discourages you to send traders to your own cities but rather to other nations cause of the +4 gold. With cards you can get +6 gold from trading to other nations. Her biggest weakness is those chariot archers which upgrade to crossbowmen instead of Knights.

Yes it's a major weakness considering how strong knights are but they are ranged promotions so it sort of makes sense.
TBH they benefit more (performance increase) from a GG than a knight, the extra movement allows first shot in rough.
Shame she starts on a desert.

I tend to move my initial settler towards that river crossing near where you have Nekhen(If there is no Saladin). The hills even have Iron on them.

Great thread! I tried Harald and got a turn 143 dom victory on deity. Was really sloppy on my part taking Athens because they had 10 archers chewing up my two caravels. Also had to take frigates all the way over from Spain to Pasargade. I wasn't very happy with zerkers. Frigates are a higher priority imho.

Those longships are deadly so it was really easy taking out Vicky early. After that it got a bit trickier and my only choice was to sail the Mediterranean and take Carthage to launch my future attacks on Sparta and Athens. Had to wait to upgrade to caravels to take Athens and it was swarming with archers and horses making for a long siege. My science was horrible so it took forever to get Frigates and then I had to sail them down Africa to take out Cyrus.

I can do a lot better but now I want to try a different civ first before trying Harald again.

P.S. Sorry for the Russian language screenshot and save. I turn it on frequently to build up my vocabulary. I'm a Russian language major at college so as much expose as possible helps!
I believe I'll give them a shot. Haven't used them since the upgrade. I like using England the best, but them new perks make me wanna try Norway again.

Top Bottom