Best Civs to make a Huge TSL Earth Map realistic?

I don't think even the largest map can hold over 50 civs, there is a hard cap to the amount of players in a game period, I can't remember what it is. Something like 30.

But if you just meant more than the 20, yes that is possible. Adding another 5 or so would probably get it to where I want it ideally.
The hard cap for players is 62, including city-states. With YnAMP mod (best map mod!) the cap-per-map-size is removed, and start with 0 CSes allow 50+ civs to be placed all at once. Idk if the bug from February Patch is still there tho.

What was the bug? I have that mod but I worry game would be too unstable with those on.
The bug was that the game accounts too many players in the game despite not having as many (accounting civs/CS not in the game, basically), exceeding 62, and was unplayable as a result.

So I love playing TSL maps and trying to make them realistic as possible and I was recently thinking about since we are limited in the civs we could put on a map ( I believe it is 20 max for a huge map) that would make it the best playable experience.

Main factors I would consider are: geography, cultural significance, and lastly probably gameplay.

So most important to me is rounding out the continents. I will be doing this from my head so please feel free to correct me or add your opinions. I am not a history/geo expert nor an expert at the game, but here are my first thoughts.

North America:
America
Canada
Aztecs
Mayans
Cree

South America:
Brazil
Inca
Mapuche

Australia/Oceania:
Australia / Maori (not sure which but probably can't handle both)

Africa:
Nubia
Kongo
Mali

Middle East/India:
Arabia
India

Asia:
China
Russia
Indonesia
Mongolia

Europe:
I already only have 2 choices left so this gets super hard and Europe is tight. Likely have to eliminate some from others ( North America?)

Thoughts to improve? I am not even considering CS, but those could be important since I believe we can pick those out as well.

This isn’t even remotely historical or realistic

First off, you have to leave North America, South America and Africa empty so they fill up with barbarian camps and city states, thus leading to the historical colonial scramble.

Europe is basically unsolveable due to loyalty mechanics and Wide >>> Tall in this game. You can sort of approximate it with Germany, Spain, England and Russia. This leaves each one room to expand and not immediatly get deleted by loyalty.

Yes I deleted Rome and Greece from history. They end up penned in their peninsulas and just contribute to the loyalty clusterfrack

If capitols were immune to loyalty this would change.

One option is replacing Germany with Poland and Rome.

The Middle East gets Eqypt and Persia.

Central Asia gets Scythia.

India gets, well India

Asia gets China, Vietnam, Korea and Mongolia.

Ideally Britain and Spain eventually turn the Americas into a colonial empire which then becomes The Free Cities Death Zone when they hit a dark age.

Unfortunatly the AI never expands overseas, Europe stays a more or less a backwater and usually an Indian Superpower eventually dominates because India was blobbed into one civ.

The only way you get anything approaching history is the above setup with Britain played by a human

I wish, for a huge Earth map, that can be play (and be playable) with every civilization added (by devs as well as by modders), as well as a meaningful diplomacy. (right now I feel like playing with 20 civs is just adding a meaningless clicks)
Anyway I'm Sorry for a little OT. (got wishful)

This isn’t even remotely historical or realistic

First off, you have to leave North America, South America and Africa empty so they fill up with barbarian camps and city states, thus leading to the historical colonial scramble.

Europe is basically unsolveable due to loyalty mechanics and Wide >>> Tall in this game. You can sort of approximate it with Germany, Spain, England and Russia. This leaves each one room to expand and not immediatly get deleted by loyalty.

Yes I deleted Rome and Greece from history. They end up penned in their peninsulas and just contribute to the loyalty clusterfrack

If capitols were immune to loyalty this would change.

One option is replacing Germany with Poland and Rome.

The Middle East gets Eqypt and Persia.

Central Asia gets Scythia.

India gets, well India

Asia gets China, Vietnam, Korea and Mongolia.

Ideally Britain and Spain eventually turn the Americas into a colonial empire which then becomes The Free Cities Death Zone when they hit a dark age.

Unfortunatly the AI never expands overseas, Europe stays a more or less a backwater and usually an Indian Superpower eventually dominates because India was blobbed into one civ.

The only way you get anything approaching history is the above setup with Britain played by a human

Not really what I am going for. We have the colonies of those five in the game, hence why I am using them instead of expecting Britain and other powers to colonize the map. Think of it more as I am trying to create cultural maps those reflect those areas, as opposed to recreating history. Also just want a fun game experience.

Not really what I am going for. We have the colonies of those five in the game, hence why I am using them instead of expecting Britain and other powers to colonize the map. Think of it more as I am trying to create cultural maps those reflect those areas, as opposed to recreating history. Also just want a fun game experience.

OK and sorry if I came across like “you’re having fun wrong”

Perhaps Byzantium will not get stuck and struggle on their peninsula, and give a Roman representation. Combined with either Spain or Eleanor's France and Russia, Norway, or Sweden?

Yeah I was thinking Canada would get the boot. Cree at least represents Native Americans, whereas Canadians don't really represent much different than America.
Try this and thank me later. I am yet to find better map than this, and I almost only play TSL Earth maps, and often with Historical starting dates. It rubs me the wrong way to see TSL America starting in 4000 BC.

The max civs minor or major is 62. You can use all 50 Firaxis civs and 12 city states if you choose so. Every game is different and I chose opponents depending on the experience I want to recreate. For my Portugal game I chose all 48 city states and 13 civs which were influential in the " life" of Portugal.
India, Japan, Brazil -- for achievement.
Kongo for spread of Catholicism.
England for longest alliance in European history.
Dutch for archenemy. Spain for frenemy.
China, Russia, America, Ottomans are just must have civs on TSL Earth regardless of goals.
Indonesia for Spice trade.
Maori for Kupe's body language. Very funny.

Last edited:
Does the game run unbearably slow with 50 civs?
Not at all in my case. Depends on your machine of course. The main detractor is the constant need for leaders to pop up and inform you about agenda based approval/disapproval. If you heard of any mod that can stop that , kindly let us know.

The bug was that the game accounts too many players in the game despite not having as many (accounting civs/CS not in the game, basically), exceeding 62, and was unplayable as a result.
It was fixed, most modders would listen to players more than devs. I would not able to enjoy this game without mods, routinely running 60+ of them. How can one govern without Better Reports or tolerate not seeing the faces of great people? I simply can't understand people who don't bother...

It was fixed, most modders would listen to players more than devs. I would not able to enjoy this game without mods, routinely running 60+ of them. How can one govern without Better Reports or tolerate not seeing the faces of great people? I simply can't understand people who don't bother...

Because an ever increasing fraction of us are on console?

You can get achievements with mods in VI, in case you think it isn't possible (you may, of course, know this, but are instead simply worried about if they'll trigger properly).

You can get achievements with mods in VI, in case you think it isn't possible (you may, of course, know this, but are instead simply worried about if they'll trigger properly).

I know its possible, but worry they will break the achievement.

For example, will the historical religions mod interfere with the Defender of Christianity Achievement? What religions would count?

For example, will the historical religions mod interfere with the Defender of Christianity Achievement? What religions would count?
I believe the Christian denominations in Tomatekh's Historical Religions mod are all tagged as Christian so it should so long as you pick a Christian religion.

Yeah I rarely use mods because I am always shooting for achievements and worry they will mess them up.
Don't worry. I am getting mine with all the mods. I actually made a tried and tested collection. No crashes, achievements unaffected, quality of life improved.

I know its possible, but worry they will break the achievement.

No, if you pick Lutheranism, Catholicism or Orthodox Christianity in full version. Or Protestantism in lite version. I just got that achievement recently.

Because an ever increasing fraction of us are on console?
Could you explain me what is the advantage of using a console for a quintessential PC game? More crashes, no mods, weird color scheme. No way to pretend you are paying attention to a very long and boring zoom meeting.

Could you explain me what is the advantage of using a console for a quintessential PC game?

Because you own a console but not a gaming PC and don't feel like investing thousands of dollars in one? Firaxis are the ones who decided to release the game on consoles, people didn't magic a way to play it on consoles so I don't think its absurd to expect the game function well on consoles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom