• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Best leader for victory type?

Dutch Canuck

Khan of Flatlanders
So, given there are 6 ways to win, and up to 36 leaders if one includes the Warlords expansion, what are the optimal leaders to achieve the win of choice? Let me rephrase that; what leader(s) do you think are optimal to win a:

1) Time Victory (most game points at 2050 A.D.)?
2) Conquest Victory (wipe out all rivals)?
3) Domination Victory (62% land, 25% pop)?
4) Cultural Victory (3 legendary cites)?
5) Diplomatic Victory (win the UN)?
6) Space Victory (finish the 1st space ship)?

Note: it is of interest to me to see what civvers think about the best leaders for a given win as opposed to looking at the best civ or the best individual trait.

I haven't played enough to make a complete recommendation but I found Hatshepsut and Gandhi (vanilla) were the best for a Cultural win if one wants that victory. Although Louis IV was good at that too. I have a number of games I've started and am slowly finishing, but I don't play often enough :blush: to know more about the best endgame path - sometimes I plan/hope for one thing but randomness forces me to react and change my focus from the initial goal. I've only one Warlords game finished: Catherine on std Terra and I won the space race - barely stealing from AI Elizabeth! (Yikes that was scary! :crazyeye: ) All my other wins were on vanilla. I have a friend who chases after Conquest wins and is very happy with Tokugawa (vanilla) and Hannibal (warlords).

I often play with Raging Barbarians - had to learn things the hard way but it has been worth challenge. :eek: :D

What have been/are the optimal leaders for you? :)

1) Time Victory (most game points at 2050 A.D.)? Any of the civs really.
2) Conquest Victory (wipe out all rivals)? Tokugawa or Churchill (Protective gunpowder units+free combat 1 or easy XP)
3) Domination Victory (62% land, 25% pop)? Napoleon (Not as killer maintenance costs+promoted troops) or Cyrus (early land grab+lots of GG and a large, improved empire)
4) Cultural Victory (3 legendary cites)? Ramses II or Louis XIV (No explanations necessary)
5) Diplomatic Victory (win the UN)? Saladin (Spiritual for early religions and easy religion/civic changes, and Protective for defensive wars to get mutual military struggle bonuses) or Mana Musa (See above but large tech lead instead of Protective troops).
6) Space Victory (finish the 1st space ship)? Anyone Financial or Organized.

Actually, organized trait helps a lot for domination victory. The upkeep can skyrocket without organized. Augustus's organized/creative (take city, whip the court, creative will allow cultural border expansion) or Mehmed's organized/expansive (take city and whip the court/granery) are very powerful way to expand without breaking the bank.

Top Bottom