[BTS] Best Map I Ever Generated...Come Play it!

CGQ

Warlord
One of the best coastal starts I ever had in this game! It is truly amazing, we got crabs, sheep, pigs, all sorts of food!

There's some nice AI neighbors that will tech stuff for you, (most which are imaginary) this map is so good it makes immortal feel like monarch difficulty! :)

Feel free to download this map and play it and then post your "review" here. I'm sure it'll be a blast! :)

Enjoy!

Spoiler :

Hehe...Suckers:lol:

Spoiler Do not read this till you played at least 50 turns :

Can someone explain why this is literally the hardest map I ever played? Is it the tundra everywhere and ISOLATION. Is it winnable even?

Attachments

• Immortal Sucker The Rookie II BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    49.5 KB · Views: 47
Spoiler after said 50+ turns :
Based on what I'm seeing you told the game to generate three continents, which IIRC is something it's not good at doing in a balanced matter, and this is the end result. That said this kind of map is comfortably winnable, especially it only being on Immortal, assuming an unreasonably skilled player. A reasonably skilled player may have a hard time doing so, if they can do it at all, but it's not an unwinnable map. Rest assured that I've seen far worse maps than this be won, and on Deity.

Spoiler after said 50+ turns :
Based on what I'm seeing you told the game to generate three continents, which IIRC is something it's not good at doing in a balanced matter, and this is the end result. That said this kind of map is comfortably winnable, especially it only being on Immortal, assuming an unreasonably skilled player. A reasonably skilled player may have a hard time doing so, if they can do it at all, but it's not an unwinnable map. Rest assured that I've seen far worse maps than this be won, and on Deity.

I'm definitely not what I would consider "unreasonably skilled" yet haha :D Like I can win an immortal game now pretty well if the land is good but on a poor start or isolation, I still struggle.
I definitely didn't know about the whole 3 continents thing. I'm curious about these "far worse" maps, I really want to see them :D

It's fiiiiine....

Spoiler :
No way is this playable on deity. Lain does not play "cooked maps" and custom maps are classified under cooked. Immortal though I think it is okay.

Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

Not sure how to play it though. Getting points for Great Merchant.

Can bulb metal casting and build Colossus with copper. Yes, Colossus, people actually build that thing... when there are no land tiles to work! Sucks that the leader is not financial.

Go for optics, Great Scientist x2 for astronomy, and go from there. Invade... someone? You're on your own.

Last edited:
T66
Spoiler :

Moved warrior SW, found pigs, and settled 1W.
Settled.png

The demographics screen revealed that 1 AI has 26000 soldiers. I would guess that Mansa Musa is in the game. Something tells me he isn't anywhere near us. Also, the average land area of the AI is 6714, so a few of them started on the coast most likely. This could cause problems if we go for the GLH.

The challenge of this map becomes evident very quickly.
Bad Land.png

After AH I teched Fishing. I think we need to get some kind of commerce going here. The barbs might pose a threat, but I think I can spam enough warriors to take care of them. If I want the Great Lighthouse, some sacrifices will have to be made.

My scout warrior got far enough to discover that there might be some good land to the east, but he got attacked by several animals at once and died. I think he fulfilled his purpose.

My tech path now is Mining > BW > Sailing > Masonry. Spam warriors to defend against the barbs and chop what I have to build the GLH, because there doesn't seem to be any other source of commerce here. Plus, I'm industrious.

At one point I glanced at the victory screen and saw that there are 7 AI's in this game as opposed to 6. That makes sense, because the map is rather large for Standard size (around 1300 land tiles).

I'm not sure if this was the best place for my second city. 1W of the silver might have been better. I went here because this place can build boats and is easier to defend.
Second City.png

Paris whipped a settler 5 > 3 and Orleans got out a work boat for scouting.

My third city claimed the silver.
Lyons.png

I haven't even seen a single barbarian yet. Not sure what's going on.

Orleans 2-pop whipped a worker. One barbarian warrior attacked me and died.

1 turn before Masonry finished, I whipped the lighthouse with maximum overflow. Next turn the overflow will go into the Great Lighthouse.
Lighthouse Whip.png

The demographics screen continues to be interesting. I am not the smallest civ in the game - one other AI only has 16 land tiles. Maybe someone else got a start like ours. Or maybe they just decided not to expand.

So I did end up getting the Great Lighthouse on T66. Now I guess I will get the fish spot in the east. I haven't found an AI yet. I doubt anyone is out there.
T66.png

In Paris I can try to get the Pyramids as well. It's not guaranteed because I only have three forests left. I have to hope that the AI won't get it.

Failgold wouldn't be too bad either.

Attachments

• De Gaulle T66.CivBeyondSwordSave
    130.4 KB · Views: 43
Didn't play but read people's updates.

Spoiler :
This map would be significantly more painful if not Ind. Glad I didn't play it though. After the Nappy NC game I'm not in the mood for iso. :lol:

600AD
Spoiler :

I got the Pyramids very late, around 600 BC or so. I did whip them to save a few turns, but ultimately the AI behavior saved me here. They seemed to actively avoid the Pyramids, building the Hanging Gardens first. I had no chance at Colussus failgold - that was built around 500 BC.

At one point in the game, I won a 4% fight versus a barbarian axeman. So that was lucky. To be fair, I had several warriors piled up in a forested hill, so it's not like that fight decided the game or anything. The barb axeman would have spent several turns attacking my warriors, giving me time to reinforce. I was definitely too lax about improving the iron in Orleans, though.

I popped a Great Scientist at a 17% chance, then popped a merchant at a 20% chance.

Optics was reached around 200AD. I was able to start trading pretty quick.
Mathematics Trade.png

Currency and Calendar Trade.png

I also traded Catherine Compass for Construction.

And of course, Mansa Musa was on their continent (didn't I predict that at the start of the game?) And of course, he had everything.
Mansa Musa.png

This guy is not great to have around in isolation games.

The other continent is massive, there's unclaimed land everywhere, and the AI's are just beginning to clear away the jungle and improve what they already have. Catherine is up to 11 cities. It's also filled with strong AI's like Zara and good techers: Mansa and Darius. Hammurabi seems pretty weak and would be a good target.

I used my merchant for a trade mission with Hammurabi, put one bulb into Astro, and finished it the old-fashioned way.

I also met the last guy. He appears to have been given an ice-tundra start just like ours. That didn't stop him from getting a religion and building the AP, however.
Brennus.png

Brennus is an excellent target. Completely backwards, and he will be hated by everyone.

On the other hand, he won't win the game. Perhaps it would be better to take out Hammurabi and establish a foothold on the main continent. Ignore Brennus, let someone else kill him, it won't matter.

Attachments

• De Gaulle AD-0600.CivBeyondSwordSave
    240.5 KB · Views: 28
Top Bottom