Best of Civ6

epicivfreak

Prince
Is there, at least, a mild consensus of what is the best-of-the-best ways to play Civ6? A Total Conversion? A combination of mods?

Whatever the case, I'm willing to give this game a second try, but I'm not playing vanilla under any circumstances.

I don't know about best-of-best, but if you're a military-oriented player you should check out the mod that gives all units an additional +2 movement points. Massively improves the combat experience.

I'm assuming if you are saying vanilla, you don't have any expansions? I haven't played vanilla version in a long time but to me GS (Gathering Storm) expansion is the way to play.

I am guessing that @epicivfreak may have some of the Firaxis expansions and packs, but doesn't have any other mods yet.
I have only Firaxis content (up to Leader Pack, NPF, and Gathering Storm), but I don't have any mods from the community.

I'm assuming if you are saying vanilla, you don't have any expansions?
Sorry, my fault. I have everything by Firaxis - I believe it was sold as "Complete Edition." I don't recall.

As mentioned above, I don't have many community mods. I've added a few, but nothing has improved the gameplay to my liking yet. I'll have to actually go fire the game up to see what mods I do have.

Edit:
Mods are: Extended Eras, Larger Map Sizes, PerfectWorld6, Real Eurekas, Real Tech Tree

Last edited:
I play all my games with Take your time rather than extended eras due to the customisable options.

You can sort the steam workshop by "all time" and "most subscribed" or "most popular" (not sure what the difference would be). It's mostly UI stuff.

I think you're better off determining what you don't like about the game (Or alternatively, describe what your ideal game of civ would look like) and looking for mods that solve those issues. For instance, I think the game goes too fast, so I play with take your time with civic/tech costs at 2x and 1.75x respectively with extreme era scaling. Then I made myself a simple 60 turn era mod (each era must last exactly 60 turns) so those civics and techs get discounted at some point (help weaker players). My games ("normal" speed) last about 450 turns. But those settings aren't for everyone. Indeed I think most people who really get into mods are looking for somewhat niche stuff.

I play all my games with Take your time rather than extended eras due to the customisable options.

You can sort the steam workshop by "all time" and "most subscribed" or "most popular" (not sure what the difference would be). It's mostly UI stuff.

I think you're better off determining what you don't like about the game (Or alternatively, describe what your ideal game of civ would look like) and looking for mods that solve those issues. For instance, I think the game goes too fast, so I play with take your time with civic/tech costs at 2x and 1.75x respectively with extreme era scaling. Then I made myself a simple 60 turn era mod (each era must last exactly 60 turns) so those civics and techs get discounted at some point (help weaker players). My games ("normal" speed) last about 450 turns. But those settings aren't for everyone. Indeed I think most people who really get into mods are looking for somewhat niche stuff.
I didn't really play civ online because of the mods and once I found out how easy they were to install I began to use them also.

Is there, at least, a mild consensus of what is the best-of-the-best ways to play Civ6? A Total Conversion? A combination of mods?

Whatever the case, I'm willing to give this game a second try, but I'm not playing vanilla under any circumstances.

This depends on you. If there are fundamental aspects of the game you don’t like, there are probably mods that change it.

What exactly are yoy looking for?

What exactly are yoy looking for?
Basically anything that might add historic/realistic concepts to the game, add to historic/realistic immersion of the gameplay experience, and I really hope for improved (and less cartoonish) graphics.

I'm currently using the PerfectWorld6 mapscript - is there another out there that might provide better realistic maps, just for one specific example.

I don't think there's a complete consensus. I personally think several of the expansion packs contained elements that made the game worse (and also some that made the game better). World Congress and Game Modes are elements I felt made the game worse, and while I do have a slightly favorable view on Loyalty, I know it's something many players feels strongly against.

As for mods, I think there are some game mods like increased movement (I use a +1 mod myself) and Terra Mirabilis that are essential. There are also many UI mods that are life-saving (the great works viewer comes to mind). I use many gameplay mods besides those, but I'm not sure how many of them I would qualify as essential.

As for mods, I think there are some game mods like ... Terra Mirabilis that are essential. There are also many UI mods that are life-saving...
I just downloaded dozens of UI mods that seemed to be no-brainers, as in, they should have been included in Civ6. Also downloaded Terra Mirabilis - seems awesome, yet I've had no luck in actually launching a game since then. It keeps crashing. That's ultimately why I'd prefer "mega" mods, which bring all things together with no conflicts. So where are those?

Civ 5, modified, is still a better game than Civ6, modified, as far as I can tell.

So, I start adding mods to Civ6 & now they show up in Civ5?
Way to be even more awesome than usual there Firaxis... :wallbash:

Last edited:
:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
After uninstalling all Civ6 mods, verifying all Steam files for all of my games, and trying to load my last Civ5 mods to run a new game - guess what...
Still Civ 6 mods...
I hate and hope they die soon:

Moderator Action: Please use appropriate language on the forums. Might be better to ask for help than post in frustration. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
Second try - after verifying, it seems to be back to Civ 5...yay...so happy :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

OMG..
I've deleted everything & it's still there in Civ5...

Somebody kill me...

Even though they didn't exist anywhere else, I still had to disable them in Civ5...
Guess what's #1 on my list of things that need to die now...:lol:

Yep...officially will never touch this game until I can no longer tolerate playing Civ5, let alone touching anything Civ7+

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
After uninstalling all Civ6 mods, verifying all Steam files for all of my games, and trying to load my last Civ5 mods to run a new game - guess what...
Still Civ 6 mods...
I hate and hope they die soon:
Dude, calm down.

It makes no sense that Civ 6 mods show up in Civ 5 or vice versa. That simply doesn't happen. Sounds like you downloaded too many mods and got confused or something. Not the game's fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom