1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beta 11

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by 3Miro, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Science Rules

Science Rules Prince

Fair enough. I had a lot more fun playing as Genoa anyway.

2. Mardouro

Mardouro Chieftain

For the next version please consider adding a culture counter for Lithuania ;)

3. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

We should just change the UHV as it is pretty meaningless now.

4. Truthy

Truthy Chatbot

Any chance I will be allowed to change the name of my civ? I understand that it might allow some people to make the game unhistorical, but I would like to rename myself the Cordoban Empire instead of Duchy of Andalusia.

5. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

You can change that in XML. Go to RFCEurope\Assets\XML\Text and look for CIV4GameText_DynamicCivNames_05COR. Open the file and edit it (probably with Notepad). You need to change
    Code:
    <TEXT>
    		<Tag>TXT_KEY_DN_COR01</Tag>
    		<English>Duchy of Andalusia</English>
    		<French>Duch&#233; d'Andalousie</French>
    		<German>Herzogtum Andalusien</German>
    		<Italian/><Spanish/><Russian/>
    	</TEXT>
    to
    Code:
    <TEXT>
    		<Tag>TXT_KEY_DN_COR01</Tag>
    		<English>Whatever name you want</English>
    		<French>Whatever name you want</French>
    		<German>Whatever name you want</German>
    		<Italian/><Spanish/><Russian/>
    	</TEXT>

6. Kartoffelvampir

Kartoffelvampir Chieftain

That is what I think as well, but its good to hear an aggrement, I choosed this spelling.
    Also, when we are talking abount Bavaria, we should think of the medieval duchy, and not the later Kingdom and State of Bavaria, here is a good map to show the difference:
    http://www.phil.uni-passau.de/histhw/TutBay/karte_bayern.jpg

Here is my version of the German City Map:

Civ4ScreenShot0019.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG

I didn't do much east of the Oder or Austria yet, and especially inland Poland looked a bit off, but i don't have the polish settlermap to synchro it, and I fear that theres already enough synchro do to in France now.

@Daffy:
    Would be nice to have someone else take a look at it too, so feel free to tell me if you would change something

Edit: Can't upload the worldbuilder-file for some reason. It only says Invalid File. Any suggestions?
    Edit2: Thanks to Merijin

Attached Files:

7. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

You should first zip it. The WB-file in the reference folder isn't the same as the regular WB-saves. So you can't upload them.

8. Caliom

Caliom Warlord

@Kartoffelvampir
    Brugge is currently on a spot that cant be settled until very late in game. I would change that.
    Otherwise it looks good :)

9. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

I don't like the names of the cities you gave to the Netherlands. Most cities aren't accurate.

And you shouldn't spread a city name over 3 tile, otherwise it's possible that 2 cities have the same name.

Apart from these issues, nice job.

10. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

@merijn_v1 and Caliom: note that I made some changes to the terrain and resources in Germany. I removed some of the unchopable forest in Bavaria and Saxony. You can get the updated map from the SVN.

If you want to make more changes to the Germany city names, just post another WB file. I can make you a WB file with the new terrain map if you want.

11. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Here is a new germancityname-thing with some changes in the Netherlands.

12. Daffy

Daffy Prince

only 1 minor mistake, but I don't really have that much time lately.
    1 tile west of Hildesheim, Muenster as only tile with that spelling
    looked good elsewise

13. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

A few comments on my Burgundian game:

- The 1st and 2nd UHV of the Burgundian should be swapped in order in the civilopedia. Then they are more chronological.
    - I can't vassalize France, even if they volunteer, because then I won't be able to get the 1st UHV. They have a city in Picardy. And when they are a vassal of my, I can't conquer that city. (I had the same problem with a English game of me, when Burgundy was a vassal of my.)

14. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

Hm.... This is an interesting point. You did get that problem in regular RFC if you play with Spain or Germany. I will think of how to possibly do this. We can easily make the "conquest" conditions to involve vassalization, but the idea of England is to conquer France , not vassallize it. Maybe we should add something about the Vassal being willing to sell cities to the master, then you can buy the Burgundian city.

I want to make Beta 12 and then instead of Beta 13, we should have RC1, which will fix most of the gameplay and leave us with minor tweaks and of course art. Cosmetic changes like the order of the UHV conditions should be handled at that stage.

15. Caliom

Caliom Warlord

I think there are way too many food resources in the german area now. It was god how it was, huge land with many good spots. There are many rivers and lots of grassland tiles, there is no need for much more food.
    And it is way too easy now to get huge diversity of health resources.
    I like however the pigs in Franconia, it allows an additional city there.

I would suggest to move some resources to the austria area instead. Austria currently has only two food resources in their core area. See the picture.

I don't like the salt near Augsburg, if Germany wants salt they should capture Salzburg or Lubeck.
    Remove the Barley too, Germany should trade for it. Or move it to Prague.
    Move the cow from Augsburg eastwards to replace the barley. Augsburg is already a good spot there is no nead to grow it to a mega city. If you move the cow into the cross of Salzburg Germany and Austria can battle over it.
    Maybe to compensate move the Wheat near Wien out of Salzburgs cross.
    Move the Wood back to Augsburgs cross. I dont think that any city will reach it where it is now.

Attached Files:

16. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

German resources probably need to be toned down, however, I want to have two good city spots in Bavaria. Right now it is one of the largest provinces, but it has only Salzburg. Do you think we can do that and keep the situation balanced.

17. Daffy

Daffy Prince

I agree with most of the things Caliom suggested but have a few different 'ideas' too

1. Lack of health is the main problem for Austria in the early stages but on the other hand they do have 2x Gold and 2x Silver in addition to wine and honey, the gold and silver can easily be traded.
    But an additional cow near Salzburg/Prag might be nice, especially if Bavaria gets buffed.

2. Move Barley 3N of Prague and move the pig 1 SW, that way the usually unsettled Magdeburg/Leipzig/Dresden area gets a bit interesting. Moving the pig SW could help the Nürnberg/Bamberg/Würzburg area.

18. Caliom

Caliom Warlord

I see your intend. Its hard to fit two good cities there while trying to stick to history and to keep balance at the same time. Its even more difficult if you consider that human and AI settle differently.

I made two pictures, one with the current situation and one with my try to improve things.

My goals were:
    - remove salt and barley from german territory.
    - make another city fit in the area between Salzburg, Augsburg, Frankfurt and Prag
    - increase the productivity/importance of the area in general but do not allow megacities.
    - improve the situation of Austria.
    - stick to history

What i did:
    - I moved some cities, primarily to make room and use space that wasn't used before. I know that not everybody will like these changes, as Augsburg and Salzburg wont be megacities.

- I had a problem with Salzburg. The spot where Salzburg currently is, would better be called Linz. Salzburg far more to the west and not on the river "Donau". Either i keep the lcoation and call it Linz or i move Salzburg and try to make it at least a strategic location, as the new location wouldn't allow a very productiv city. I tried the later.

- I moved the alps a bit to the south. The space there wasn't used by anyone anyway and it feels more accurate.

- I moved Prag one tile to the north, feels more accurate and frees room for another city in Austria.

- changed many hills to flatland and vice versa

What do you guys think?

Btw. didn't think that it would take so much time to edit the worldbuilder file :/
    @3Miro: is the current dll in the svn a debug dll? The game is much slower than usual and i get interesting infos of AI behavior when i hover over units.
    There are still two plots that belong to the province Salzburg. The two in the south east corner.
    Can it be that Salzburg does not spawn as independant city anymore?

Attached Files:

19. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

That is definitely interesting. I am to that familiar with German geography, but Salzburg did indeed seem on the wrong spot.

@Daffy: what do you think about Caliom's changes.

I will fix the Salzburg province too.

There are no debug .dll files for our mod. The .dll file in the SVN should be fully operational. I will check it tonight.

20. Daffy

Daffy Prince

The edited map does seem to be a bit more accurate, but Austria does have an awful lot of resources imo. In average >4 per city, Germany only around 2 per city currently.
    But I've only looked at the screenshots, if other changes were made to the german map things might look different. What the AI does with the whole situation would be another thing :)