Beta 6 talk

It was this way in the earlier versions too
Every civ starts with the name <Civ adjective> Peoples, besides Byzantium

This reminds me: I was wondering earlier, why is it peoples and not people? Isn't people already plural?
It can easily be that this is the correct form here for some reason, but it sounds very unnatural to me...

EDIT:
Ohh, so it's just a simple typo :blush:
Anyway, checked it, and it's this way at least since Beta 1 :eek:

Increasing the food count is fine, but I would also like to decrease the early tech rate and maybe increase the Kiev penalties for having a huge empire of 25 cities (it is unrealistic).

Agreed
We should raise the early tech cost generally, and then rebalance the modifiers for the civs with too slow tech rate.

Well Peoples is usually a tribe name; Germanic peoples for example. It's Peoples until they found a city, then that would make them a city state or a small kingdom.

Anyway, checked it, and it's this way at least since Beta 1 :eek:

Wow, and nobody noticed. That is surprising.

I didn't do the dynamic civ name code and I will have to go back to it and make some changes (the code not the XML). Also, pretty much the only time I do changes to the XML Text is when I change the UHV and interface.

So much work, so little time.

alright I'm still having some bad crash issues (my game crashes every 10-20 turns)

I've tried to increase the autosave to every turn, where exactly can i do that in the mod?

This reminds me: I was wondering earlier, why is it peoples and not people? Isn't people already plural?
It can easily be that this is the correct form here for some reason, but it sounds very unnatural to me...
You say "one people" when referring to a certain ethnicity, for example the Saxons. Since there are many peoples that make up the Germans for example (Saxons, Bavarians, Swabians ...) you get the plural instead.

alright I'm still having some bad crash issues (my game crashes every 10-20 turns)

I've tried to increase the autosave to every turn, where exactly can i do that in the mod?

Autoturn frequiency can be changed from My Games\Beyond the Sword\CivilizationIV.ini.

As for the crashes, open the WorldBuilder and see if Arabia or Byzantium (or anyone) has a city at the Eastern edge of the map, right where the map ends.

I figured I'd give Burgundy another try, but after the spawn I saw I decided to report here instead :)

I think Yogibear had already mentioned it, the French settle way to close to the Burgundian spawn point. Still within their settlermap, but outside the Burgundian flip zone.

The first pic is simply what I saw when I spawned.
Troyes culture had already moved the spawn point, but I don't see french culture at the original location. So why not move the settler 1 NE and settle on the original spot.

Well pics 2 explains why.

The 3. pics is with worldbuilder open. I set barb tagmatas on those spots (within french settler maps, but outside burgundian flipzone) that have a critical impact on Burgundy (imo you can forget the game if you don't get iron). Some of the marked spots are of course more critical (those closest to the wine/iron).

I'd vote for adding those spots to the French settler 'blacklist' and the spot where they built Annecy.
Or something else, just a suggestion.

And spwan date 844 this time, seems to vary a little

The AI is supposed to clean the culture from the spawn zone of a nation. I will see how the code works, if we clean the French culture, then Burgundy should be fine settling. With their UP it shouldn't be hard to push the culture back.

I just finished a game as Hungary on emperor level. I achieved a historical victory at around 1600. It was a Beta5 game, but i think the things that i adress werent changed in beta6. So here are some thoughts:

- the new huszar unit is great and fits the hungarians perfectly. It saved my ass when i lagged behind in technology and everybody had knights, longbows and pikeman. I preferedly attacked during plagues. Because of their high movement they could move in and strike at full health while the enemy is weak. And because of their high withdrawel rate they could even take out medium defended cities without the help of those slow siege weapons.
the first unit that ended their reign was the spanish tercio. At this time the spanish had starforts too and i simply had no chance to bring those walls down with my trebuches.
Did i mention that i badly lagged behind in technology?

- About the UHVs. The first two, have the most territory and allow no ottoman cities in europe, are doable, even on emperor. I think the increased barbarien spawns in russia on emperor level help alot, because they prevent kiev and poland from grabing too much territory.
I was unsure if i would also achieve the 3rd UHV, to be the first to adopt free religion. After the discovery of clockmacking i headed straight forward to research liberalism. by the time i got there Germany, England and Spain already could have switched to free religion but they didn't. I got curious and granted every nation in the world the knowledge of liberalism, but none of them adopted free religion on the next turn. I played some more turns just to get sure.

The reason why the Papal name bug isn't noticed is this: The full civ names didn't show up untill the most recent version. (Maybe beta 5) Before that it just said: Papal state or something. We could have spotted it, but than you had to see the name in the diplo screen, and who lookes at the name then?

@ 3Miro
The only playing with the dynamic names is showing up the full name. For the rest, you have to contact Sedna17.

Had a somewhat nice start here. (Tech trading, and Norse captured Toulon early, allowing me to raze it)
But..
The UHV stated no GA or so, does that include settling a GA in a city?
Settled one in Lyon I think at some point(instead of bulbing Chivalry which had only 5 turns left anyway)
Anyway the culture counter freezes just before 10000.
9930 in my case.
Savegame attached, 1 turn before it reaches 9930 and freezes.
But elsewise 10k is achievable :)
Cluny Abbey, Notre Dame, Stephansdom and beeline to Drama in my case.
Monastaries, Churches etc. too of course.

@ 3Mir
The only playing with the dynamic names is showing up the full name. For the rest, you have to contact Sedna17.

Its OK, there is no problem. I hope to get some time this weekend to play with this. Whenever you are done with your changes, I will change the XML files so that the Dynamic names are covered by the CivilizationInfos XML file (not the C++ as it is now). Then you will be able to make all the changes.

Had a somewhat nice start here.
But..
The UHV stated no GA or so, does that include settling a GA in a city?
Anyway the culture counter freezes just before 10000.
9930 in my case.
Savegame attached, 1 turn before it reaches 9930 and freezes.
But elsewise 10k is achievable :)
Cluny Abbey, Notre Dame, Stephansdom and beeline to Drama in my case.
Monastaries, Churches etc. too of course.

Thanks for the savegame, I will look at the bug tonight and depending on what it is, I will post a quick fix so you can continue the game.

Its OK, there is no problem. I hope to get some time this weekend to play with this. Whenever you are done with your changes, I will change the XML files so that the Dynamic names are covered by the CivilizationInfos XML file (not the C++ as it is now). Then you will be able to make all the changes.

I'm finished. (Revision 536)

Thanks for the savegame, I will look at the bug tonight and depending on what it is, I will post a quick fix so you can continue the game.

no need to hurry, I can wait for beta 7 ;)
The spawn date was this 848 this time too(has anyone else had this or is it possibly somthing on my end?)
Food for Dijon would still be nice. If Marseilles were allowed to grow Dijon would be the smallest city.
Maybe a cow 1 tile E, NW or SW of the spawn point or something like that. Not sure if giving Dijon too much food would have a negative impact when the AI plays Burgundy(Powerhouse).

I think I'll try Spain now, already noticed that the 2EP/city UP works now :)

no need to hurry, I can wait for beta 7 ;)
The spawn date was this 848 this time too(has anyone else had this or is it possibly somthing on my end?)
Food for Dijon would still be nice. If Marseilles were allowed to grow Dijon would be the smallest city.
Maybe a cow 1 tile E, NW or SW of the spawn point or something like that. Not sure if giving Dijon too much food would have a negative impact when the AI plays Burgundy(Powerhouse).

I think I'll try Spain now, already noticed that the 2EP/city UP works now :)

There is a bug in RFC and RFCE for some nations to skip their first turn. The problem is that this is somewhat random and thus I have been unable to locate it, you can reload an autosave and try again, it will probably be the correct year this time.

There is a bug in RFC and RFCE for some nations to skip their first turn. The problem is that this is somewhat random and thus I have been unable to locate it, you can reload an autosave and try again, it will probably be the correct year this time.

I've tried something like that(but not several times I admit)
It was either 844 or 848 but not 840 :) but I'll try it once I saved the spanish autoplay :)
I think it says that spawn date is 840 AD and it is a playable turn, so it's skipping 1 or even 2 turns in my case.(usually 2)
I had noticed the -1 turn left bug in rfc and usually I don't care about it, but with Burgundy currently it's different ;)
It's 2 turns too late and Burgundy has another 2-4 turns of anarchy due to civics and religion.
Thats a bit long imo(I haven't yet dared to switch all civics initially for 3 turns of anarchy +1 for religion)

I've tried something like that(but not several times I admit)
It was either 844 or 848 but not 840 :) but I'll try it once I saved the spanish autoplay :)
I think it says that spawn date is 840 AD and it is a playable turn, so it's skipping 1 or even 2 turns in my case.(usually 2)
I had noticed the -1 turn left bug in rfc and usually I don't care about it, but with Burgundy currently it's different ;)
It's 2 turns too late and Burgundy has another 2-4 turns of anarchy due to civics and religion.
Thats a bit long imo(I haven't yet dared to switch all civics initially for 3 turns of anarchy +1 for religion)

Actually, the year is coded as 844AD, the text us buggy. So you get 844AD or 840AD. I noticed that while making the Historic Timeline, but haven't fixed it yet.

Top Bottom