[BETA] Rules of Engagement : Stalingrad

Since I've heard about the hex field issue of Civ V, I dreamt of a strategic warfare mod comparable to old juwels like Battle Isle or Panzer General - and I think, you`re on a good way here! But although I`m impressed by this fast evolving mod, maybe some comments:

Front lines: I like the idea of controlled territories and supplies, but maybe one important point: due to this mod, players will have almost no option of planning an ambush or backstabbing your foes. One solution would be to design invisible "commando" units without claiming territory ability (or maybe it has to be activated giving them the possibily to cut supplies). But I think in strategic games, recon is a core element, so I would prefer another solution (maybe supply units - they would be nice but of course this all would require extensive AI modifications and other modding stuff).

Air combat: With the increased range I think the possibilities to use your fighters are too limited (defend your army or your bombers) - but without much efforts I see no solution. In the end I think the best solution would be to use them comparable to gunships - in best case with the ability to join other, even enemy ground units on a hex field.

Promotions: For the moment ok - later on I think, units should be more divers (e.g. mountain infantry, marines, motorized and mechanized infantry) and promotions should rather improve strength than determing subcategories.

Campaigns: Would love it, but how to transfer units from one map to another?

Response fire: Don't like the idea of artillery not supporting attacked friendly units or even itself.

Socials: Use them as commander abilities. Gain culture through victories and mod all socials to tactics (maybe: fighter -, bomber -, infantry -, armored -, combined forces -, commando tactics etc.).

Sorry for hijacking your thread for my ideas - hopefully you like some of the mentioned aspects.

thanx for the comments.

Front lines: I like the idea of controlled territories and supplies, but maybe one important point: due to this mod, players will have almost no option of planning an ambush or backstabbing your foes. One solution would be to design invisible "commando" units without claiming territory ability (or maybe it has to be activated giving them the possibily to cut supplies).
I like this :goodjob:

I don't know if the IA will be able to use it (as the actual mod's engineer btw), but now I do want commando :D

Promotions: For the moment ok - later on I think, units should be more divers (e.g. mountain infantry, marines, motorized and mechanized infantry) and promotions should rather improve strength than determing subcategories.
you're right, more units type will come with (hopefully) new graphics.

Campaigns: Would love it, but how to transfer units from one map to another?
quickly thinking about it, it should be possible right now, but may need more time that I have for this mod.

Response fire: Don't like the idea of artillery not supporting attacked friendly units or even itself.
Yep, I think I've read something about it already in game but not activated, I must look at it at some point...

Socials: Use them as commander abilities. Gain culture through victories and mod all socials to tactics (maybe: fighter -, bomber -, infantry -, armored -, combined forces -, commando tactics etc.).
that's something I want to do since the begining, hijack the social policy as I've done with the plot owning... time, time, time, need more of it :)

Sorry for hijacking your thread for my ideas - hopefully you like some of the mentioned aspects.
you're welcome ;)

I tried the one provided in the mods list in the civ 5 game itself, not the download provided by you in the first post. Is there a difference in the versions? 'Cause upgrades destroy the version I played lol.

no, I think both download are the same version. I won't be able to fix it before the end of christmas break, but I expect to do next version for the begining of january.

I really like the idea. I couldn't really get into it, but I'm looking forward to trying again from the other side. Some stuff I noticed:

I started up the scenario (as Russia) and switched into strategic view, that being how I usually play. Suddenly, infantry looked like ships! Workers did too, and the ironclads looked like stealth bombers. When I garrisoned an infantry and zoomed in, it went back to looking like an infantry. I'm not sure why Civ V keeps two different images associated with a unit, but it does appear to.

Also, I can't tell the difference between roads and railroads without switching back to normal view *and* zooming in as far as I can. Even then, I can barely tell. (I don't know if you can fix this; I've never played a game all the way to railroads.)

Are there any people who can help me? After installation, what i have to do play this scenerio? I cant start any mod or scenerio until now?

wow, this looks great! I may have to look at some of your code and do some similar things for my mod, of course credit will be given where applicable.

Top Bottom