Better Report Screen (UI)

Better Report Screen (UI) 7.0

Infixo > I did a lot of modifications to adapt BRS to be optimized with full HD resolution (1980*1080). It could also work with the 1680*1050 resolution. I'm pretty happy with the result. I can make BRS larger than this but I think it's enough and useless for the moment.

• The file "ReportScreen.xml" of the R&F directory has been updated.
  • I didn't updated the vanilla one for the moment.
  • I did some modification on the "ReportScreen.lua" file to update some information displayed with this larger screen. Not mandatory.
  • All file modification are based on the BRS v2.4 files. I didn't updated to 2.5.1 for the moment. What are the files updated by this new version?

Give me some feedback when you have time. Thx.

EDIT: For any reason I'm not able to upload .lua files. So I added ".xml" at the end of the ReportScreen.lua file.

Attachments

• ReportScreen.lua.xml
    154.6 KB · Views: 67
  • ReportScreen.xml
    96.3 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
If i had a slight critic about these "Frameworks" -- it would be that a few have a bit too much empty space in certain columns (On the Yields panel.. City Names are glued to the left margin with three times as much "space characters" to the right, for example).

It's all about balanced sizing, IMHO. Spreadsheets are nice when trying to crunch numbers & facts but still visually, we tend to observe the cohesive presentation while expecting rapid access to the essentials.

Don't get me wrong.. the wider perspective has great potential for clarity -- when extra details and information should start filling all that emptiness. Not sure exactly what or how or if.. Infixo would prefer some supplemental elements. I guess the whole concept could benefit from larger Font Types and clearer Icons in certain aspects. Ya know.. tiny green/red arrows are fun on a city banner to convey growth.. but i DO like that big "Promotion" symbol on those Unit Lines & even that medium sized "Shield" to indicate fortified.

The best principle already in place can be seen on the "City Status" screen... it's well distributed while keeping various facts together.

Eventually -- the objective is (i suppose) to cram in as much as possible when the opportunity is there on and with some people's PC setups.. i think. But not by rendering most interactive precision(s) too cumbersome to just LOOK at. There's a standard for UI effectiveness that goes far beyond re-sizing specific columns. Civ6 can certainly use fine-tuning in a few HUD areas as well. TABS could use coordinated context too, btw.

Let me give you an example from a project of mine...

These Icons are just squeezed on that panel as references to the values underneath. Big enough.. yet not too small like the previous ugly Drop-Down list (verbose only!) the default version has.

Yes. I totally agree with you. BRS has evolved a lot since the first version. It takes me some times to understand how the graphic code works. It's not complicated but you need to test a lot of thing to find the one that fit the best for the current version. I'm pretty sure we can optimize and add design consistency for all the sheets in few months when the content will be stabilized by Infixo.

For the moment I like what Infixo did and I like being surprised by new feature of BRS when a new release comes.

Hi Infixo,

i have uploaded my logs as requested from the steam workshop comments section. I have included all the logs you have requested apart from gameeffects.log i don't have that in my civ6 logs folder? is this in another folder somewhere or could that be my problem lol.

Attachments

• Civ6BetterReportScreenLogs.zip
    45.4 KB · Views: 160
Ok i have enabled gameeffects.log (I chose option 4 the most detailed option sorry for the wall of text if it's too high lol) i will include all the latest logs below.

Thank you for taking time to check over this issue.

Attachments

• Civ6BetterReportScreenLogs.zip
    7.8 MB · Views: 168
@fraggle7 Good news is that BRS loads properly. Bad news is that you are getting errors from it in lua.log. They are very weird as they indicate that the tab is being displayed without proper data initialization. Line 60 in spairs is the sort function and it gets nil, then throws an error and the script stops. Hence, you get an empty screen. I say weird because data init is the first function called when opening this window and there's no way in the mod itself that it may try to show any data without proper init. I honestly can't explain that and the only thing that comes to mind is that one of your many many mods changes something that I am not aware of.

Unfortunately the only to go is to identify the conflict by switching off all mods, then enabling them one after another and checking when BRS stops to work.

Code:
Runtime Error: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table/struct expected, got nil)
stack traceback:
   [C]: in function 'pairs'
   F:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\289070\1312585482\ReportScreen.lua:60: in function 'spairs'
   F:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\289070\1312585482\ReportScreen.lua:1877: in function 'ViewResourcesPage'
   F:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\289070\1312585482\ReportScreen.lua:3047: in function 'focusCallBack'
   F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\TabSupport.lua:149: in function '(anonymous)'
Lua callstack:
stack traceback:
   F:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\289070\1312585482\ReportScreen.lua:60: in function 'spairs'
   F:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\289070\1312585482\ReportScreen.lua:2393: in function 'ViewCityStatusPage'
   F:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\289070\1312585482\ReportScreen.lua:3047: in function 'focusCallBack'
   F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\TabSupport.lua:149: in function '(anonymous)'
Lua callstack:
stack traceback:
   F:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\289070\1312585482\ReportScreen.lua:2821: in function 'ViewDealsPage'
Lua callstack:
stack traceback:
   F:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\289070\1312585482\ReportScreen.lua:2749: in function 'ViewUnitsPage'
Lua callstack:
stack traceback:
   F:\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\289070\1312585482\ReportScreen.lua:2950: in function 'ViewPolicyPage'
Lua callstack:

I've just started a fresh game to test and it works with the all of the same mods active (i didn't realize i had that many mods lol). I'm guessing maybe another mod breaks it once i have got so far into the game once I've researched a certain tech/civic or unlocked a certain building or unit. Will do some tests to see if i can find the cause.

Hey Infixo! I posted earlier on the steam workshop about the policy tab, Rationalism, Natural Philosophy etc.
As requested, here are a few screenshots of a typical situation where I noticed this problem:

I've got 3 campuses with +5 adjacency each and I currently build two more, one of them is going to have +6 adjacency and the other one +2.
In this case, Natural Philosophy (+100% campus adjacency) adds +15 science but your mod says +23 because it also includes the +6 and +2 from those unfinished campuses.

Hope this helps! I don't know anything about modding CIV. Is it possible to exclude them in the calculations?

Spoiler :

20180316020343_1.jpg
20180316020350_1.jpg
20180316020409_1.jpg
20180316020502_1.jpg

Last edited:
@RealHuhn So, the problem is with Natural Philosophy, not Rationalism. These are different effects in modifiers. I will look into this.

Yes, for some reason I thought Rationalism had the same modifier for the adjacency. My bad! ^^
While looking at Rationalism, I did notice a very similar problem though. It does include unfinished buildings. That's where the error is coming from.

All the other policies who use these two modifiers are affected as well.

Two Screenshots: Haarlem is included although it doesn't have any science buildings. However it does build a library! Same with Amsterdam. It only has a library but the unfinished university is included as well in both effects. In reality, Rationalism only gave me around 7 science, not 15.

Nonetheless, thanks for your work on this mod! Can't go back to those shallow and unclear vanilla reports :D
Spoiler :
20180316121811_1.jpg
20180316121922_1.jpg

Last edited:
@fraggle7 I may only add that I am using the mod with HellBlazer mods (WII, COI, NOT), CQUI, YnAMP, MOAR Units, BES and BTS with no issues.
@Infixo I will start a new game soon, can you upload a zip file of your "Mods" directory with all the mods listed above plz (the ones you use)? It will help me start with a functional configuration without incompatibility.

Thanks a lot.

PS: Did you have time to look at the wide version of BRS?

@Tyolan I am using current versions from Steam for not my own mods. For my mods, ModBuddy puts them into Mods folder, so I dont need to subscribe.
I’ve seen the wide window. I will use your changes if I run out of space. But I won’t be making it very wide, I want to see left and right city panels for easy data comparisons.

@Tyolan I am using current versions from Steam for not my own mods. For my mods, ModBuddy puts them into Mods folder, so I dont need to subscribe.
I’ve seen the wide window. I will use your changes if I run out of space. But I won’t be making it very wide, I want to see left and right city panels for easy data comparisons.
Sadly I can't access Steam. Thx anyway. :king:

Top Bottom