Betting and Speculation - The "Entirely Separate Hypercube" Civ!

I wouldn't mind at all if Sparta made it in

Always remember

Spoiler :
THIS IS SPARTA! :trouble:

I wouldn't mind at all if Sparta made it in

Sparta!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!
They are not in at all because it just greek.
Beside the Warmonger Greeks are in???????

Bumping back to the topic, I would agree that the Sioux is most logical.

Sparta!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!
They are not in at all because it just greek.
Beside the Warmonger Greeks are in???????

Bumping back to the topic, I would agree that the Sioux is most logical.

Hey, I still wouldn't mind at all

I don't know what a hypercube is. But when I read the phrase "Entirely Separate Hypercube" that indicates Civ that is unlike the rest.

The other Civs go about winning the game in generally the same fashion. More science. More gold. More military. More culture. They acquire these things in generally the same manner, with some notable exceptions such as Germany and barbarians.

To be an "entirely separate hypercube" it seems to me you have to have a different goal, or an entirely unique way of achieving the goal. I'm thinking this is where Civs like Intuit/Aboriginal would come into play. They're "winning" is an entirely different definition. Personally I'm more interested in a Civ with a different goal but I don't think they'd go that route.

When thinking of what Civ would fit either a different goal or radically different mechanisms to achieve the goal (like a leach civ) I always fall down when trying to think of an actual Civ that would fit the bill.

Which leaves me with the "grow your own" Civ. Your UA is selected based on your surroundings or play style. Your UU's based on resources or play style. Same for promotions. You don't select them, they're given to you based on where you fight your battles. Fighting close to borders often ? Get a 10% boost when in your borders. Fighting on the hills ? Get the rough terrain promo. Running away a lot ? Get the Atalasit promo for being able to withdraw :)

What about Quebec? Fits the alphabet requirement for the last 2 potential civs. Plus, it is another North American civilization.

What about Quebec? Fits the alphabet requirement for the last 2 potential civs. Plus, it is another North American civilization.

Quebec City has been spotted as a City-State. Besides, if they were going down that path they would make a Canadian civ, rather than just a Quebecois civ.

What if instead of turning the barb camp into a city, it just has an xyz chance of making a settler once cleared? Building of settlers in all cities would be turned off. Chance of popping a settler is dependent on how many settlers came before in this manner. So at first, the chances would be 80%, then 70%, then 60%, then 50% etc. until it hit 10-15% where it would stay for the rest of the game.

As for the UUs, they are raider units that have the colors of barbs, but are controllable by the player/AI and can attack all non-friendly cities/units without a declaration of war. Obviously, everybody would know who sent them, but the defending player would have to decide if they want to just fend off the raiders, or risk all-out war resulting in all of the civ's units being able to enter their territory. Als, they get double gold from pillaging and lots of gold or science or culture or faith from destroying enemy caravans/trade ships.

Sounds fun to me.

(Just realized that making this the only way to get settlers would make most of the Collective Rule SP useless, if not illegal)

Stand back everyone. I got this figured out:

Civ: Shawnee
Leader: Tecumseh
UA: Coalition; when the Shawnee go to war, all barbarian camps revealed on the map spawn 3-5 units corresponding with the Shawnee's technological level which includes resource units and the Shawnee UUs. These barbarians attack the enemy of the Shawnee.

I don't know what a hypercube is. But when I read the phrase "Entirely Separate Hypercube" that indicates Civ that is unlike the rest.

The other Civs go about winning the game in generally the same fashion. More science. More gold. More military. More culture. They acquire these things in generally the same manner, with some notable exceptions such as Germany and barbarians.

To be an "entirely separate hypercube" it seems to me you have to have a different goal, or an entirely unique way of achieving the goal. I'm thinking this is where Civs like Intuit/Aboriginal would come into play. They're "winning" is an entirely different definition. Personally I'm more interested in a Civ with a different goal but I don't think they'd go that route.

When thinking of what Civ would fit either a different goal or radically different mechanisms to achieve the goal (like a leach civ) I always fall down when trying to think of an actual Civ that would fit the bill.

Which leaves me with the "grow your own" Civ. Your UA is selected based on your surroundings or play style. Your UU's based on resources or play style. Same for promotions. You don't select them, they're given to you based on where you fight your battles. Fighting close to borders often ? Get a 10% boost when in your borders. Fighting on the hills ? Get the rough terrain promo. Running away a lot ? Get the Atalasit promo for being able to withdraw :)

A customizable civ is just not gonna fly. Everyone would pick this civ at higher levels. Maybe that is the point, but why give the human player such a bias even if it is at the highest level of difficulty?

A customizable civ is called "modding." If the last civ is just "build your own," that's the same as giving eight civs instead of nine.

I also wouldn't really call it a civ. But yes, give me an option in advanced mode to chose a UA, and two out of UU, UB and UI to play as. That would be a fun thing to try once or twice. Obviously disable it for multiplayer. It's a game mode, not a new civ.

Eagle Pursuit's proposal is something that I could see, though how would that work exactly? Do camps only spawn close to the enemy and what if there's no room/fog of war. How does it work in advanced stage? Essentially, wouldn't it be a less customizable copy of the German UA (which is normall changed in my games anyways)? The logical result would also be that these units don't attack your own units which is bad since "barb hunting" is a vital part of many honor strategies since you need the :c5culture:... So, nice idea, but doesn't work...

Stand back everyone. I got this figured out:

Civ: Shawnee
Leader: Tecumseh
UA: Coalition; when the Shawnee go to war, all barbarian camps revealed on the map spawn 3-5 units corresponding with the Shawnee's technological level which includes resource units and the Shawnee UUs. These barbarians attack the enemy of the Shawnee.

fits perfectly with the spotted axeman unit.
not bad.

i believe more and more that the axeman civ was supposed to be the 4th civ we would figure out.
apparently it is the 9th.^^

A customizable civ is just not gonna fly. Everyone would pick this civ at higher levels. Maybe that is the point, but why give the human player such a bias even if it is at the highest level of difficulty?

True on the first point, it likely won't get off the ground.

As to the second point, it would come down to how its implemented. The interesting bit is its "grow" not "choose" your own. The UA/UI/UU develop over time depending on geography and playstyle. You can influence which promo your unit gets (fight in plains all the time) but you don't directly select it.

Rather than being terribly easy, I suspect a lot of players would be turned off by the "randomness" of things.

A customizable civ is called "modding." If the last civ is just "build your own," that's the same as giving eight civs instead of nine.

Grow vs choose. Only difference is grow is based on playstyle. Suppose you can still have choices (similar to religion) but I like less direct control.

I also wouldn't really call it a civ. But yes, give me an option in advanced mode to chose a UA, and two out of UU, UB and UI to play as.

I'd prefer that you didn't choose too much before map is rolled. At best things are presented to you similar to religion as game progresses. At worst, you have no choice in the matter at all and you are assigned abilities based on geography/playstyle. This could be maddening....but fun somehow!

In terms of fitting a real life Civ ? Uh...

Has anyone mentioned the possibility that the hypercube civ will do well settling on the snow and/or ice tiles?

Towards the end of this video there is a bulletin board with the images of the leaders and UUs on it.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=zzc8HGvByW4&desktop_uri=/watch?v=zzc8HGvByW4

5 of the leaders are uncovered. Gajah Madah and Al-Mansur are still covered along with 2 more. Obviously this was filmed prior to the announcement of those civs.

So 4 leaders are still covered. But...
1...2...3...4...5 UU images are still covered. What are the chances that one of the last civs has 2UUs?

It's very well possible, as we didn't have any yet. It is also possible that there may be more than one piece of art work for one of the UUs - if I'm not mistaken, there are two for the Siege Tower: one of the tower itself, and below that one for the men moving it.
It is also possible that one of the UUs didn't get artwork for it - I see none for the Nau! :p

One possibility is that this civ's UA or UU might gain science from kills the way the Aztecs gain culture or the Pictish Warrior gains faith from kills.

Towards the end of this video there is a bulletin board with the images of the leaders and UUs on it.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=zzc8HGvByW4&desktop_uri=/watch?v=zzc8HGvByW4

5 of the leaders are uncovered. Gajah Madah and Al-Mansur are still covered along with 2 more. Obviously this was filmed prior to the announcement of those civs.

So 4 leaders are still covered. But...
1...2...3...4...5 UU images are still covered. What are the chances that one of the last civs has 2UUs?

Good catch. Funnily enough, they covered up the Moroccan and Indonesian concept art (must've been filmed before the reveal) but forgot to erase "Morocco" from the whiteboard at one point. Would've been hilarious had this video been released before the official announcement.

Has anyone mentioned the possibility that the hypercube civ will do well settling on the snow and/or ice tiles?

Haven't seen it yet, haven't read the whole thread though.

Recurring themes :

1. One with barbarians - Civ controls, founds cities from,disgused as, or makes real friendly like with barbarians.
  2. Nomadic moving cities - Civ can move cities for some period of time. Either starts out movable or can move at some point.
  3. We scoff at the laws of hydrodynamics - Civ, most often associated with Venice, which can found cities on coastal water tiles.

Best one was of the bordlerless/nomadic civ variety that described a symbiotic like relationship with other civs. Don't recall which page so can't credit the poster. Don't entirely remember the post or the details, but it stood out.

The new civ will function as the complete antithesis to civilization itself; you are the barbarian camps that spawn and terrorize the unknown.

Top Bottom